Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

A friend recently sent me a cdr containing Garcia's alternate "Love Scene" tracks from ZP as well as Garcia-Grisman stuff. Very nice chillout music :winkgrin:

Platterpus likes this.
  2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

There was a 2/29 show. The late show was my first non-dead tape. Great great show (but I could do without Tiger Rose)

SHOW DETAILS

Calderone Concert Hall

Early Show
    Hempstead, NY

USA

Jerry Garcia Band

February 29, 1980

SET LIST
    SET 1
    1. Mission In The Rain
    2. They Love Each Other
    3. Let It Rock
    4. That's What Love Will Make You Do
    5. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    6. Deal

Late Show

SET LIST
    SET 1
    1. How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
    2. When I Paint My Masterpiece
    3. Russian Lullaby
    4. Harder They Come
    5. Tiger Rose*
    6. Promontory Rider*
    7. Dear Prudence
    ENCORE
    1. Midnight Moonlight

SHOW NOTES
    * w/ Robert Hunter

laf848 and MonkeyLizard like this.
  3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I like this set a lot too and it was very well curated: I am equally surprised that they let it go OOP but perhaps they'll do another run at some point. Other than All Good Things I have way more live Garcia than I can possibly justify for the amount that I listen to it. I find that his repertoire comes off as rather unvaried when seen across a group of recordings, and I also dislike the rather treacly pace that he adopts for some of his longer workouts.

4. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I like to listen to GD when PBS has the GD hour on the radio or when I am in the shop doing something, but have never been a huge fan.

But I do have a JG CD here, I think it The JG Band, and I also think it is a 2 CD set. I can't remember the name of it or much about it, only that I enjoyed the listen.
    I only listened to it once, but it is VERY good. Maybe I will hunt it down and give it another listen today.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  5. Zack

Zack Senior Member

True story: I got busted for toking on a doob at a Garcia show by an usher who tore my ticket to indicate a warning (I had passed on the evidence) while Jerry was playing "Tore Up Over You." Funny that he didn't appreciate the irony.

6. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

laf848 and vegafleet like this.
  7. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Pigpen was already dead:mad:.

Joti Cover likes this.
  8. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

That's the box I have too. It's one great little package!

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  9. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

With apologies to ROB Wasserman-not "Dave". Ah-the ravages of time!!!

10. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

While the Garcia album is wonderful, with a first side that can't be topped, I'll take Cats Under The Stars as my favorite Garcia solo record.

If you want an acoustic one, get the Shady Grove Garcia/Grisman CD. That's also first rate.

The comment upthread that Jerry didn't have a solo period but one concurrent with the Grateful Dead is right on. Jerry said the perfect week for him would be two nights playing with the Dead, two nights of playing with the Jerry Garcia Band, two nights of going to the movies, and the seventh night off.

11. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Good to know. I actually loved this when it came out and just took advantage of a sale; should receive the MOFI version soon.

Yes, the
    All Good Things: Jerry Garcia Studio Sessions Box set

is awesome and actually worth the $200 used price on Amazon.

sberger likes this.
  12. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I never paid much attention to The Grateful Dead in the seventies. Saw them at Festival Express in 1970.
    I didn't dislike them, just not on my radar too much. I was aware of the more popular tunes....Truckin', Friend of The Devil.
    I am a banjo player and was heavy into bluegrass / newgrass.
    I got the Old and In The Way album.
    From there, the first Garcia album I got was with the acoustic band....Almost Acoustic.
    I think it was late 80's.
    Wore that one out.
    Then the Garcia / Grisman album.
    I wasn't even aware of the Jerry Garcia Band or Merle Saunders or any of it.
    Over the past 3 or 4 years, I started getting more of his solo and JGB stuff.
    Then I caught Dead fever and listen incessantly, daily to the point of obsession !!!!
    I think Jerry is the greatest musician ever !!!
    Absolutely love him and regret not having paid more attention for all those years.
    I am trying to make up for lost time though.
    I would estimate that 75% of my listening time is devoted to JGB or GD.
    Man, I wish he was still with us.
    I am loving the Garcia Live series. I have all five volumes.
    Glen

texron, laf848, peskypesky and 11 others like this.
  13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The first album , love it !

Natural E likes this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I was/am a huge deadhead and now I am all about bluegrass/new grass. The GD pool is certainly much deeper than the Garcia Solo efforts. The great thing is that there is so much of it to immerse yourself into.

15. madpanic

madpanic Forum Resident

With Trixie Garcia's announcement that they are planning on releasing more of the Lunt-Fontane shows this year I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on them. Since the Halloween show and "The Best of the Rest" have been released is there a decent amount of good stuff left in these shows? I haven't heard any of them so I'm honestly curious.

16. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I would definitely prefer other years over more Lunt-Fontane. 1971, 1972 and 1979 are years I would like the most. Also a Great American String Band (1974, with Grisman) would be cool at some point.

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  17. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Only one I have right now is "Garcia" from 1972. "The Wheel" from that album is just jaw-droppingly awesome, especially his pedal steel playing.

Natural E and Crispy Rob like this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Agree with every said. Also, just want add: Reconstruction, Reconstruction, Reconstruction! (Although that is implied by 1979). The Legion of Mary bonus disc someone mentioned above does not cover all of Reconstruction's material - I was frankly mystified by that comment, as Legion of Mary is a different band (although both feature Garcia and Kahn, of course) with a fairly different repertoire.

One other point about Lunt-Fontane - the sound quality of the electric sets released to date (recorded by John Cutler, IIRC), while listenable, is noticeably lower than most other releases. The acoustic portions of that run released so far have sounded good to great, though. I haven't heard much else from those shows, but would certainly buy whatever else they put out from that run, and would be pretty happy with it especially if acoustic material is included. However, it seems like a strange run to prioritize in the release schedule.

19. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Pound for pound I love this cut the most. "Expressway (To Your Heart)" 2-6-72 Pacific High Studios. Looks like I cannot tee up times so 7:48 in:

ianuaditis, Bingo and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Favorite release:

[​IMG]

tmiddle2, laf848, Bracton and 7 others like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That Pacific High Studios recording, although widely available, really deserves an official release someday. You are making great picks here.

JRM likes this.
  22. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

I dig his work with the movie Saturday Night Fever. :tiphat:

23. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

This may be my favorite, although it's a difficult choice. It showcases his playing outside the box better than most other releases yet the guitar playing is still unmistakably Jerry. Not only is the ensemble playing tight as hell but there's also a feeling of surprise and walking the 'tightrope'.

It also features, in typical Grisman fashion, excellent sonics, even the RB CD, where you can really perceive the variations in attack on the strings.

Joe Craven is also someone who all Jerry/GD fans should familiarize themselves with IMO.

Mastered by the great Paul Stubblebine.

[​IMG]

24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I was just thinking the same playing it. My version is a little better sounding than that youtube but I cannot remember where I found it. My guess is there may be multi-tracks; it was done for KSAN, there is a blog post about the show here. Multi-track and Plangent sure must have helped make Let It Rock sound stellar; Nicky is playing well also. I better quit while I am ahead!

Joti Cover likes this.
  25. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Forgot: As far as "guest" appearances I'd vote for Crosby's IICORMN and Kantner's Blows Against The Empire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grootna, laf848, ianuaditis and 4 others like this.