Got ripped off on Discogs...help!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by beachboydw, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beachboydw

beachboydw Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I bought a LZ 2 RL pressing on Discogs for $78. The seller described it as VG. Got it today, and it's a G at best. Just absolutely awful...skips, tons of background noise. I emailed the seller and here is his response:

Good day Justin, I would advise you to look at my seller guidelines before returning LP. As it is clearly stated sales on used merchandise is final, 30 day standard refund on all new items and in the event that any refunds are honored a 30% restock fee is applied. sorry for any inconvenience. Thanks again and very best to you, Matthew

I paid with PayPal. What action can I take to get my refund?

2. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

I would just go with the Paypal dispute directly for this.

3. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

That sucks! Sorry man. It just irks me that people upgrade their records just to make a buck. Don't forget to give him a negative rating!

2trackmind likes this.
  4. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

How did you pay with Paypal? Did you use the gift (family & friends) option or goods and services option?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this can be disputed with Paypal as long as the goods and services option was selected.

Sorry to hear about what happened, that really does suck. :(

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

True.

6. Pendulous Threads

Pendulous Threads Well-Known Member

I only use Discogs as a reference tool, not a place to purchase vinyl.

7. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Agreed. Discogs is quickly becoming a bad place to buy vinyl.

Aftermath and Pendulous Threads like this.
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Me too.

Don't let this scammer get away with it.

SimplyOrange likes this.
  9. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I just had a similar thing happen on Discogs, and Paypal sided with me. The seller tried to give me a partial refund and Paypal reversed it and gave me the entire amount back. File a claim.

10. Pendulous Threads

Yes it is becoming bad. I have had one too many friends get scorched on condition alone. At one time it was a decent alternative to ebay; now, it looks like a wasteland for former shysters who were kicked off ebay.

11. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

As far as used vinyl, I personally like Amazon. I've purchased used CDs as well and never had a problem.

utahusker and Pendulous Threads like this.
  12. Pendulous Threads

Amazon gets all my business online for used vinyl and Cd's as well.:righton:

theron d, utahusker and SimplyOrange like this.
  13. beachboydw

Just spoke with PayPal and they filed a claim. Said it would take 10 days for resolution/refund if they seller doesn't respond. They also said they would override his 30% restock fee.

It's really gonna cost him $21 to put the record back on the shelf?

This is the first bad online experience I've had.

Pendulous Threads likes this.
  14. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Rarely do I see someone list actual condition of a record on Amazon. If anything I usually see "Ex" which I've had trouble with in the past. I don't think some people are referring to VG++.

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

"thanks again" my a$$..

$78 for a trashed record?? time for a paypal dispute

steeler1979 and 2trackmind like this.
  16. beachboydw

I might have to start checking amazon from now on. I have looked there but they either don't have what I want, or they're very expensive.

soundfanz likes this.
  17. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Yup. It's a shame.

18. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Yeah, if it ain't new, he doesn't get to charge a 30% restocking fee. Totally ridiculous and I know PayPal doesn't go for that noise. I've been in a similar position with a different seller and PayPal sided with me almost instantly. I'm sure they'll do the same with you too.

Ed

19. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I've returned the last 4 or 5 records I bought on Discogs and had problems with three of these sellers. Please leave detailed negative feedback for this guy ASAP.

20. beachboydw

His latest email...

It is buyers responsibility to read over any and all guidelines and shipping info presented buy the seller as mine clearly are. If there was an issue with my company policy then you should have bought elsewhere. I cannot just change are company policy because you suggested for me to do so. I will honor your refund but there will be a 30% restock fee assuming the record is in the original condition it was sold in. I do not feel I misrepresented my items as my feedback shows 5 people out of more than 100 transaction in 5 years of selling online and discogs is fairly accurate grading by my standard. Very best to you

21. beachboydw

He has 5 negatives and 5 neutrals, by the way...and the neutrals complain about improper grading

22. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Paypal won't let him pull that 30% thing. Just make it clear to Paypal you will not accept anything less then 100% including return shipping if you have to return the item.

23. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

100 transactions in 5 years is not a 'company selling online' it's a hobby.

Restocking fee? Bozo.

I buy a lot from Discogs, never any problems.

24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

If you paid through a credit card on Paypal, get in contact with the credit card company. It may have a policy that the charge for merchandise purchased on-line which does not arrive in the condition as advertised by the seller will be refunded / credited to your account.

25. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

My friend, if this:
    and this:
    are true, then I am afraid you failed in the performance of your due diligence. I wish you luck in your PayPal dispute but for future purchases buy only from a top-rated seller and one with a more comprehensive refund policy.

WalkingSpanish, Brudy, mikeyt and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.