Grace Jones - Nightclubbing Deluxe Edition - April 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by j1804, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I have this reissue on CD and agree with all the comments above on the quality. I want to get a vinyl copy of the album now but the 2014 double lp reissue is now nearly impossible to find or expensive, so has anyone heard the 2009 back to black issue and was this from the original tapes or the usual digital transfer? I'm debating between this and a 2nd hand first pressing

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The 2014 vinyl is likely from digital but it does sound pretty good. You do get the bonus tracks. I haven't a first pressing to compare but it will probably sound better?

3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Is the 2014 remaster different from the 2009 release? Both are on Back to Black

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

The US vinyl deadwax have STERLING, maybe the original is enough, I'll try to get a mint copy of the original.
    Possibly this is the only album that I want of this artist plus a compilation, Island Life comp. is good???

philly67 likes this.
  5. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I've only just found this thread.

For the CD, that's all I'm interested in, I think the remaster is very poor in comparison to the original. Just look at the DR figures if you doubt me. Album list - Dynamic Range Database

For CD, the problem this album has is that it's hard to reproduce properly because many hi-fi systems can't cope with the Sly & Robbie polyrhythms. If your system can cope then the original CD is the way to go. The reissue sounds bland & lifeless on my system by comparison.

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Generally modern CD remasters sound bad due to loudness wars thinking. Vinyl is generally a different mastering and sounds much better. Still can get decent sounding CDs but tend to be second tier artists in popularity, so their material has not been reissued in remastered form with NOS albums still widely available. I think they manufactured vast runs of most titles in the 90s which never sold out due to falling sales. Obviously with some titles they have sold out or the labels destroy the old stock when they release that inferior crushed remaster.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  7. Eno_Fan

Eno_Fan Staring into the abyss: Brockman BIF, Pilbara WA

You is on the wrong Forum, Mr Star Wars...

8. Sometimes I do feel a bit lonely...

9. eatandoph

eatandoph Forum Resident

I missed the boat on the deluxe versions of this but am hunting/waiting for an affordable copy. In the meantime, I wondered if someone could tell me if the blu-ray booklet looks to be comparable to the deluxe CD booklet, or if it's more minimal?

10. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

It's a 16 page booklet, mostly text, with slightly bigger versions of only two of the photos from the deluxe CD booklet. More pictures would have been appreciated.

eatandoph likes this.
  11. eatandoph

eatandoph Forum Resident

12. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

is there an expected date for the deluxe remaster of Living My Life ?

13. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Not yet as far as I’m aware.

proedros likes this.
  14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Has anyone compared this reissue with an original vinyl pressing? I have an original but am considering picking this up on vinyl for the bonus disc and wondering how the original album itself sounds?

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  15. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

Does anyone recall who redeemed their download Card included in the Nightclubbing Blu-Ray Audio disc ...

did it give the option to download a FLAC file or just lower quality mp3 only?

16. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

What’s happened to the Living My Life deluxe edition?? I’m sure they said this was in preparation soon after the excellent Nightclubbing release.

wolfram and pghmusiclover like this.
  17. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

And of course, what happened to the pretty much finished album after 'Hurricane' that was almost ready for release....

richard a and pghmusiclover like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.