Graham Nash - Now - 5 - 19 -2023

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Feb 20, 2023.

1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Signed copies up for preorder for 28$

Better than Stills getting 500$ for his new one signed. Sheesh

bluedemon25 and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I fear these songs sound better musically than the actual quality of song writing (if that makes sense)

vegafleet, Ryan Lux, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I found with This Path Tonight that it took a few spins to get its claws in. I think it's a real corker now - maybe even a candidate for Graham's best - but it took its time to unveil its charms. It's plausible this new one will be similar.

Fred1, Kiss73, Fabsmith and 2 others like this.
  4. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Sure. The band sounds great, it’s tastefully recorded. But, I agree, these would be boring songs acoustically. At least the first two singles but I do like this one better than the last.

Fred1 and Kiss73 like this.
  5. fboothco

fboothco Day Tripper

I saw Graham Nash last night at the Ram's Head Tavern in Annapolis, MD, the fourth show on his new tour. Interestingly he didn't play anything from the new album or even mention it. But someone who'd seem him the night before said he played A Better Life at that show. His voice sounds great, and he has excellent back-up support from Shane Fontayne on guitar and Todd Caldwell on keyboards. He looks good and healthy, too. 81 years old!

The nearly two-hour set, with a 10-minute intermission halfway through, included all the usual CSN(Y) suspects. No Hollies last night, but he played Bus Stop the night before. Some good stories, and a mix of his originals and songs by his partners, including Stephen Stills' 4+20 and Neil Young's Only Love Can Break Your Heart. He briefly mentioned the death of David Crosby, calling it "insane" and saying he was glad they had started to patch up things before David died. The only Crosby song he did was an abbreviated Critical Mass before his own Wind on the Water, but he did perform James Raymond's Lay Me Down, saying the author was David's son. The oddball song of the evening was a dynamite cover of the Beatles' A Day in the Life.

Catch his show if you can.

6. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

First listen through the new album and my initial thoughts are "nice" but "not memorable". Having said that, I never "get" Nash albums on the first listen and so I probably need to give it 2-3 more spins before I come back with a proper assessment. I did like "This Path Tonight" quite a bit. "Songs For Survivors" also took me a few listens before I really got into it.

FJFP, Fred1, Fabsmith and 3 others like this.
  7. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

Agree that it sounds nice but not sensational. We've heard it all before but I guess we didn't expect, or want, him to do anything radically different. Maybe I'm also on a bit of a downer on Nash, given what's happened with him in the recent past and some odd interviews he's given.

Ryan Lux, Fred1, fboothco and 2 others like this.
  8. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I have only listened to it once, but for Nash fans, Now is a really good album. I didn’t listen to the preview tracks more than once. “Right Now” sounds really good. It easily recalls early seventies Nash. I associate this sound with David Lindley so much that I kind of think it shouldn’t be done without Lindley. However, Nash embraced the sound, and it’s really good. I’d rather have a Nash album that sounds like the seventies, than contemporary. Now feels like a Graham Nash album in the vein of his other albums. I’ll have to listen to it a bunch more times before having a better take. After one listen, very good.

Hep Alien, Ryan Lux, Fred1 and 5 others like this.
  9. JKeniley

JKeniley Forum Resident

I saw him last week at the Cabot Theater in Beverly Massachusetts.

He played for 2+ hours. In addition to the songs mentioned above he played Bus Stop and 4+20 and then segued into Country Girl.

He was very chatty and seemed to be having a great time. He event talked about Joni Mitchell.

Great show, great voice, great songs. The crowd loved it.

I saw him last year on Martha Vineyard. It was a good show but really didn't compare to Cabot program.

10. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

So the signed copy was actually a signed print thrown in with a copy of the sealed Lp.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2023
  11. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I got the signed one also. Glad to have it. The album actually is solid for me. Overall happy with it.

Matthew Tate, Fred1 and carlwm like this.
  12. fboothco

fboothco Day Tripper

I've played it through twice and like it but am not knocked out. It certainly lacks the punch of This Path Tonight. The love songs seem kind of tired, but then the guy is 81. This is Graham Nash, though, so I suspect it will grow on me with repeat listens. A Better Life and Buddy's Back are obvious favorites. Follow Your Heart invites a closer listen.

Matthew Tate, carlwm and Fred1 like this.
  13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

As long as he stays away from his favorite interview topic of the past few years ("It's OK to bail on your wife and kids if the sex with the new kitten is good...") the lyrics could definitely be worse :)

14. fboothco

fboothco Day Tripper

He's found the love of his life according to a song or two, but it's unclear whether it's Susan or the Joni lookalike. His politics are mostly stupid but understated and harmless. His voice musically and lyrically, however, is Graham Nash, and that's why we listen.

Paper Shark and kwadguy like this.
  15. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Listening now, on track 2 good vibe but not feeling the glaring auto-tune on the first track.

FJFP and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I streamed it today instead of buying it. I got bored with it. He still sounds great, and those harmonies are so familiar they buzz in just the right part of my brain, but he damaged his brand for me and unfortunately it’s affecting my enjoyment of the album.

kwadguy, Paper Shark and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Bebstrel

Bebstrel Old-Timey Member

I have always wanted to like Graham Nash, and rarely had a reason except my early devotion to CSNY, CSN, and CN. I kept trying. I just don't think he's that good.

milankey, Paper Shark, Kiss73 and 3 others like this.
  18. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

when it comes to harmony and melody I think he’s excellent. Lyrically, as I’ve said here before, it’s 6th grader poetry.

19. Musician95616

I used to think that I would never love again
    I used to think that I'd be all on my own
    I really thought that it was coming to an end
    And just the thought of it chilled me to the bone
    But not now

I'll give Nash 7th grade.

Markab likes this.
  20. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Ooooh, I like the LP cover layout.

Gotta say, I’m not committed on it yet. I agree the sound is generally good, but the vocal tuning is a little off putting at times. That said, I Watched It All Come Down is great.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

I hear you. I was listening to it thinking f#ck this guy. The dude came across like a massive narcissist in regard to how he treated the situation with his ex. Sure, we don't know the details but on the surface it's not a good look.

22. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I like this album a lot. Nice Sunday morning album. I would rate it Survivors>Now>Path Tonight. Not a bad run of albums for the 21st century. Loved the live album too and the live DVD that came with Path Tonight sp ed.

carlwm and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Musician95616

Have to agree with you. I found Nash to be extremely distasteful in interviews over the last several years. Around the time of his last album, he was talking incessantly about his tremendous sex life, and also his estrangement with his children. Granted, I don't know the situation but I just found him to be extremely offputting in remarks. And he was also ragging all over Crosby at the time too.

Now it's time to promote the new album and his new narrative is he's saying how Crosby was his best friend, and that Crosby had left him a voicemail wanting to apologize for "shooting off his mouth".

24. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

The album grows with each play. Wondering about buying it on vinyl. Anyone know what the vinyl version sounds like? Hoping it's a quiet, non-noisy press.

carlwm, Fred1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Second full listen today, and it already grew on me. I think it will be in regular rotation for the foreseeable future.