Grand Funk Railroad - Why no remastered/upgraded vinyl releases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by featheredfiend, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know Friday Music released "Live Album" last year, but's that's it...

Their Capitol releases were all given the upgraded treatment on CD back in 2002...I would've thought we'd have seen those mastered for vinyl by now...what gives?

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Maybe they think that the current crop of kids buying records they never intend to play, but rather hang on a wall are not the audience for Grand Funk Railroad, a 49 year-old band.

3. featheredfiend

I don't know...I still think there are enough old geezers out there like myself who'd snap up a few vinyl releases... :)

And now that I think about it, Friday Music also put out We're An American Band on yellow vinyl a few years ago, so that makes two releases...

bajaed and Tjazz like this.
  4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'd buy them :targettiphat:

Chemguy likes this.
  5. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

If you're reading this thread, you owe it to yourself to check out Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Grand Funk Railroad - a remarkable document from their heyday...

I'm not sure how to describe it. It's sort of an LP-length infomercial, breathlessly delivered by a Southern-accented man with poetic inclinations:

"smoke steamin' body funk from the midwest, Grand Funk, a bruising, blasting electric vibration is a railroad for its generation, and running like a clockwork orange, right on its time"

I hadn't known, prior to listening to it, that the band had a "message for the brothers and sisters" about "liberation", making them "spokesmen for their generation".

It's a trip.

Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Grand Funk Railroad (MP3s)

6. Myke

If Bernie Grundman and/or Chris Bellman were to polish up Survival, who am I to say anything ? :shrug::winkgrin:

Chemguy likes this.
  7. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Not sure enough time has passed to warrant another remastered set since the Trunk of Funk.

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Those Japan cds are hard to beat.

dasacco and vinyl diehard like this.
  9. Chris Schoen

I have a gold vinyl "Were An American Band" that is cool. Sounds damn good also.

clhboa likes this.
  10. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Yeah, I got one of those reissues too. IIRC it was the early 2000's when it came out.

11. Chris Schoen

This one is older than that I think, I will have to check. Not a fan of colored vinyl. I like black, easier to judge the surface. Colored vinyl you can't see anything.

clhboa likes this.
  12. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

13. This could help explain why GFR is largely unknown to anyone under 55. Except perhaps as a joke on The Simpsons. :)

14. Chris Schoen

Glad I got into them, back in the day. Don't make Rock Bands like that no more...

colgems1966 and Myke like this.
  15. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Funny, I've been getting into them more as I've been picking up the original vinyl. Great band.

Scott in DC and Myke like this.
  16. Myke

That has no effect on vinyl reissues.

17. featheredfiend

Does anyone know if this was remastered? I've seen this advertised before, but there's very little info available regarding this release...

18. Chris Schoen

Ya, these bands (Grand Funk, Mountain, Z.Z. Top, ...) really come through on vinyl. It is music that was meant to be played from a record.

Marc Perman and zphage like this.
  19. Myke

So was that your only copy of Closer To Home, that you just sold ? Asking because as a repeat buyer of yours, I know you're among the best, inc. quality pressings. Made me pull out my copy that I took to an 8th grade party (I'm 60 now), and is still in VG+ condition.

Reviews on Discogs of the 2014 MOV reissue not very encouraging, either (adding to the value of a clean original again ! )

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i doubt there is much interest in this grossly over-looked band. sad.

21. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Closer To Home deserves a 45RPM treatment. So much bottom end on there the LP did not catch (and cannot).

zphage and Old Zorki II like this.
  22. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Band was enormously popular and now not. It means huge quantities of used records available, including first pressings. First two a bit more difficult to get in good shape, But I doubt they will start reissueing comparing for just 2 records. We also do not know condition of master tapes...
    Too bad.
    I have Closer to Home first press and it sounds very good.

23. Myke

Would love to hear from anyone that has actually owned the 2014 Music On Vinyl reissue. It appears to have been a Holland import.

featheredfiend likes this.
  24. featheredfiend

I have it and I'd highly recommend it. Vinyl is very quite and it sounds terrific. Great low end...Mel's "bong rattling" bass (obscure Simpsons reference) is prominent throughout, and it's just a great listen!

Marc Perman likes this.
  25. Myke

Thanks. Just ordered myself a copy from Barnes & Noble, using the 20% off code SNOWFALL. $27.39 w/free shipping.
    Can finally retire my poor 48 year-old copy.

Tjazz and vinyl diehard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.