Grateful Dead 12.31.78 - Closing of Winterland to hit DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GregY, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregY

GregY New Member Thread Starter

Info found here

Grateful Dead
    The Closing of Winterland

Destined to be one of the biggest releases in music DVD history!

2 DVDs ! 6.5 hours !
    16- 24 Page Collector’s Booklet with Color Photos
    Exclusive Interviews
    Bonus footage
    Blues Brothers Band Songs
    (John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Paul Schaefer)
    New Riders of the Purple Sage Photo montage with audio
    Winterland History with archival photos
    Archival interviews from 1978, photos, newspaper items
    Detailed history of Grateful Dead at Winterland Photo Gallery
    Winterland documentary film

Special Features:

Visible Lyrics Option
    Dolby Digital 5.1 (all 4+ hours of Grateful Dead concert)
    Dolby Digital 2.0 (all 4+ hours of Grateful Dead concert)
    DTS 5.1 (all 4+ hours of Grateful Dead concert)
    All bonus material to be Dolby Digital 2.0
    audio mixed from the original 24 track analog master tapes
    video source is the original 2" Quad video master
    Other Items of Note:

package includes a 16-24 page booklet, with dozens of rare Color and B&W photos, and an essay co-written by Glenn Lambert (KQED on-air host of the evening's festivities) and noted Grateful Dead writer-in-residence Gary Lambert
    features special guests John Cipollina, Lee Oskar, Matt Kelly, Ken Kesey, Greg Errico playing with the Grateful Dead, and Bill Graham (as MC of the evening)
    Defining an era of rock and roll at Bill Graham’s crown jewel of concert venues

“there is 100 times the demand than there are tickets...I would venture it could have been half a million ...you haven’t seen the letters from Tokyo, New York. Boston, Miami!”
    - Bill Graham on the Grateful Dead Closing of Winterland concert

2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

YES! A dream come true. November is shaping up to be a very expensive month for me.

3. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Great News ! Thanks for the post regarding this . It will be nice to have something better than the boot. I can't wait to get this one!

4. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

These were always great shows. It was a tradition for us to go to SF on News Years eve to the Grateful Dead show in the 70's. Thanks for the Post.

5. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

That will be cool to see that released on DVD. I actually remember KQED broadcasting that show live on TV. Anyone know if this is in color or B&W, because if memory serves me right, they broadcasted this show in black and white.

6. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

Anybody know what a Quad video master is?? Is that quad audio?

7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Jeff,

Good recall...... i have a copy of that broadcast that is B&W. I don't know but would certainly think they used color cameras in '78.

-Jeffrey

8. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Hi Jeffrey,

The ol' memory is still pretty sharp. I was only 11 at the time of that show. I would think that they would have filmed the show in color in spite of the B&W TV broadcast. We'll see when this hits the streets in November.

Jeff:cool:

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The Blues Brothers footage from that show that's on the Best Of The Blues Brothers DVD is in color. I imagine even if the footage was originally broadcast in black and white, it probably exists in color

10. GregY

More information available at dead.net:

http://dead.net/merchandising/music/DEAM-DECD249/

11. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Thanks for the link. I had forgotten to pre-order until now.

12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

From www.vidipax.com:

The 2" Quad format was the first successful videotape format. By 1956 the format was being used for television broadcasts. The machine used a headwheel with four heads, which gave it the name "Quadraplex" or "Quad". It rotated at 14,400 rpm or 240 times a second, scanning transversely across 2-inch-wide tape. In order to spin this fast, the headwheel was floated on air bearings using an air compressor. "High band" recorders were introduced in 1964 by Ampex, offering a greater frequency response and a better signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). This allowed several generations of duplications to be made without a discernible loss of quality. Super highband was introduced by Ampex and RCA in 1972. The 2" Quad format was widely used within the industry into the 1980s.

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I was at this show. Freaking incredible! They played all night, and then breakfast was served at dawn.

Evan

14. GregY

Looks like not quite the entire show will be on there (although I ain't complaining):

15. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I wonder how many other bands played 4 1/2 hours for their fans that nite? :)

-Jeffrey

16. duse

duse Senior Member

I just found out that this has been pushed back to next week. I can't wait to see it.

17. Gave a hint to the misses... She's still looking for a Xmas present for me...I would love it if Santa Claus brings this.....Thanks for the link.

18. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

DVD, CD, and T-shirt will be at the front door on Tuesday. Order direct and get the bonus CD as well.

www.dead.net

19. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Yep, my DVD should be on the way, too. The bonus CD (Winterland New Year's Eve highlights) should be pretty cool, as well. I had to pass on that "blue rose" limited edition concert poster; it's a beaut but kinda steep at $250.

Jim W.

20. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Hope she takes your hint, Jos. As for my missus....well, let's just say that for her to get me something cool like this as a present would be akin to, in her mind, offering a heroin addict another fix. :laugh:

Jim W.

21. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Best Buy will be selling the 2-DVD set for $20. I ordered mine online from Grateful Dead Productions for $30 and it comes with the limited edition bonus CD.

Jim W.

22. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I ordered mine from Grateful Dead Productions also... so I hope the limited edition bonus CD is worth it (especially since we are effectively paying $10.00 for the extra CD plus the shipping charges to get the DVD/CD shipped to us). ;)

I also ordered the 4-cd audio-only set (as I do with all the Dead video companion CD releases), and I haven't seen the CD set for sale (or advertised) anywhere but through Grateful Dead Productions. Does anyone know if the audio only companion CD set is going to be available at general retail? (Not that it matters since I already placed my order and it is money already spent!)

23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

This DVD title gets cheaper every time I turn around. $16 at Circuit City.

Jim W.

24. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I pre-ordered my copy from dead.net and it arrived Saturday, much to my delight. I've only listened to/watched it as far as the DRUMS segment in Set II, but I can tell you it's a must-have for any Deadhead. The picture is about what you'd expect for a Public TV broadcast in 1978 -- not bad, but nothing thrilling. The sound, however, is another matter entirely. BEAUTIFUL!!:)

25. GregY

Yup. My copy arrived today. Video is nothing great, but certainly acceptable. Sounds is pretty awesome.

Having never seen the GD in concert, and knowing only what I've seen in the few DVDs already released, it's kinda odd (in a good way) seeing Jerry so animated (for Jerry.) He's bopping all around during Fire on the Mountain.

The bonus CD comes in a standard paper CD sleeve, no jewel case. Seeing that I could have bought the DVD for less than $20 tomorrow and compiled my own version of the bonus CD (easily and legally), I don't know if buying through dead.net was the most economical approach. I do hope that more of my money went to the band than by purcashing in a store.

P.S. Bob Weir's glasses are the shizzle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.