Grateful Dead album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jacksondownunda, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. protay5

protay5 Member

The only place I've heard that was on a disk that came with an (I think Dutch?) book about the Dead. In the late 90s I picked it up in Tower Records. I thought the book wasn't too informative, but the disk had Aoxomoxoa outtakes - "St. Stephen" with a promenant cowbell or some such percussion, "The Eleven" with very overdriven vocals (maybe bagpipes, don't remember), maybe another cut or two, and "Barbed-wire Whipping Party." It's scarier than "Midnight Rambler." You really get the feel you're listening to some Hell's Angels nastiness. The CD was defective so I took it back for an exchange, but the clerk said there was a problem with the whole shipment, which was no longer visible on the shelves, and they could only give me a refund. Hmm. I still have it, but it's buried in stuff from a move.

"Meat, meat, gimmie my meat!" I can't help feeling Micky Hart was a force in that. There's some of the same feeling in his "Fire on the Mountain" tapes.

2. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I had always thought that's exactly what was happening on that track.

Chris

3. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I was wrong!

I went home and had a couple of minutes to listen to side 1 and compared jacksondownunda notes with the two versions that I have and they both are indeed the remix.

There are some similiarites to what he details but I guess some of the differences between the remix and the original are subtle. I can hear the end of Rosemary but there is a little fade to it and the some of the details of St Stephen (ringing bell, hand claps on last verse), Dupree's (cup dropping), Doin that Rag (approaching mike at the end) , Cosmic Charlie (make it loud comment) I can hear in the remix.

But there was definitely no false start on Mountains of the Moon on my copies.

One difference with my WLP is China Cat has a time listed as 4:15 (and not 4:20 or 3:40)

So now I have to find that original to really compare versions.

Here is the matrix info on my two:

WLP:
    side 1: 39493 WS 1790 A RE-1 1B
    side 2: 39494 WS 1790 B RE-1 1B

W7:
    side 1: 39493 WS 1790 A RE-1 1C
    side 2: 39494 WS 1790 B RE-1 1H

4. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Thanks for sharing what you found and for that dead wax matrix info. Black circle... :righton:

5. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

No problem. Fun stuff.

One other thing I forgot to add is it was mentioned earlier by bangsezmax that the back of his copy had the "Remixed September, 1971, at Alembic Studios, San Francisco." statement. Neither of my version have that on the back that I could see, so I wasn't sure if that was in reference to Anthem or Aoxomoxoa?

6. mrbillswildride

allheslostheshallregain...

This confused me too, IIRC, my white border cover remix from 1971 was Anthem, right folks?:help:

And I did not know that Aoxomoxoa did not have a remix until now...

Listening to the Rhino box set remaster of this disc yesterday (how do folks like the sound of these discs compared to original 80s issues?) I really enjoying it immensely. The 20/30s vaudville sound I found best expressed and revealed itself to me on Dupree Dianomnd Blues, mmoreso than Doing That rag, but both are songs I now like and apreciate more after reading this thread, than i did before... :righton: My faves remain St. Stephen, Mountains of the Moon (has a magical quality to it) and of course China Cat (I confuesed it with Darkstar, was that a non-album single from these same sessions?) Rosemary was very nice too, and Cosmic Charlie started to worm its way into my heart. Baby was the real trip though, so many avenues of influence to hear, like the pster said, some North African drone things going on, and i hear Trad. Englsih folk Tradion in the a cappella singing, and of course the wst coast tradition of tripping out and acid is self evident... all in all what a trip of a record...

Easily, for me, the first brilliant Dead Record...

And I like the acoustic-based bits which presage Beauty and Workingman's in a very trip toes in both worlds sorta way... :winkgrin:

good stuff...:righton:

cheers,
    :cheers:

7. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident Thread Starter

That "Barbed Wire Whipping Party" thing was reportedly some kind of tongue-in-cheek swipe at the Velvet Underground gritty "negativity/reality" vibe happening on the East Coast. That's Hunter you hear ranting "barbed-wire whipping party and the razor blade forest..the other day I went to Mars and talked to God and he told me to tell you not to worry, the answer to everything is death!".

I listened to the remix for the first time in yonks last night. Oddly, MOTM (phil on upright bass) reminded me of a slow spacey Traffic's "John Barleycorn" for some strange reason ..maybe it was partly the "bow and bend to me" line. ("Bend to me.."makes a fleeting appearance in John Oswald's Grayfolded suggesting starlight bent by gravity...but we'll save that for later.) Actually, the 1st mix Aoxomoxoa is reminiscent of Traffic's UK mix Dear My Fantasy in spirit and execution IMHO

8. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

this thread got me to seek out an original mix of Aoxomoxoa, man that would a great choice for Steve to remaster

9. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

interesting, didn't know that.....btw, (I mentioned this in the last Aoxomoxoa thread) I turned Betty Cantor on to a tape of these outtakes, she hadn't heard this song since she was in on the engineering off it apparently (her 1st session with the Dead)...

10. jacksondownunda

I remember reading that post but didn't quite grasp at the time what you were saying. That's quite an unusual upstream nugget to have in your tape stash. I remember first hearing the tape in the mid-70's and it had been heavily copied even then (and The Eleven was purposely sped up and slowed down to give an even more wrenching ride!) Betty must have a few tales to tell. Her big stash of boards entered the public domain when the GD wouldn't pay overdue rent on a storage space. She was quite amused to hear she'd become a cult hero.

11. jacksondownunda

‘LIVE/DEAD’ and associated live discs is up next in a couple days. Anything further about AoXoMoXoA anyone wants to say (if they can pronounce it)? Howl loudly if you want more time.

12. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

sounds good to me. that dark star is still one of my favorite versions.

for those who aren't familiar-

http://www.deaddisc.com/GDFD_Dead_By_Date.htm

handy little site.

13. AoXoMoXoA (pronounced OX-OH-MOX-OH-AH) ;)

I do enjoy this release but not as much as Anthem or the first album ... standout tracks being Stephen, Mountains, China and Cosmic.

"What's Become of the Baby" is IMO the worst track on any of the 3 studio albums to date ... just does not seem to work well with itself at all.
    The combination of backwoods, celtic influenced vocals mixed with a psych approach and soundscapes comes off as an extended piece of mental constipation for me. :sigh:

Anyone else have the feeling that Hunter was trying a little too hard with dramatics on some of his lyrics for this first album with the GD?

I think the extra bonus 44 minutes of live jams (Clementine, Nobody's Spoonful, The Eleven) plus the live version of Cosmic Charlie tacked onto the end of the remastered Warner HDCD far exceed the album proper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aoxomoxoa

14. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I've always pronounced it (right or wrong) OX-uh-MOX-uh.

15. mrbillswildride

Well, this is a first, we usually see eye-to-eye on most things musical, but I half two part ways with you herein. Aoxomoxoa is by far the best, most brilliant reocrd of the first three, inner light years beyond the sonic sludgefest that is Anthem, and a fair step evolved upwards from their most noble but almost infantile (embryonic?) first offering proper on WB... :righton:

cheeers,
    :cheers:

16. That was a winki referenced 'proper' pronunciation BTW which is why I linked to them at the bottom of my post.

I've always just pronounced all the letters individually in a row but real quick like : A-O-X-O-M-O-X-O-A ... :laugh:

17. catman

catman Forum Resident

I agree with pretty much all of your post. The jams are somewhat interesting, but will I listen to them again? Their jamming really takes off after this...

18. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

Aoxomoxoa has a special place in my heart, because it's the first Dead LP I ever bought and listened too, and the reason I bought it is cool too: I was in 9th grade in boarding school in Boca Raton, FL and me and a few people got totally baked and went to a record store in the mall...I thought I'd check out the Dead albums 'cause I assumed they'd have trippy art, and being totally baked, this sounded like a good idea...so I go to the G section and this album is right in front, "wow, this sure is cool looking", so I turn it over and read the songs, Dupree's Diamond Blues leaps out at me (my last name is Dupre) close enough for Rock n' Roll, sold!!! and I played it, and it was good, and the rest is history....:D

19. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

a must have Dead record.

i love it, and think it's the Dead's first bona fide classic -- that's not taking anything away from Anthem. Anthem to me is the experimenting and finding, and Aoxomoxoa is the arriving and the flowering.

The songwriting, performance, and production (and an iconic cover by Griffin) all converge in a successful way. I found this record interesting even before I was a Dead fan, and it's one of the first studio records of theirs that hooked me -- it has a personality and mystique all it's own.

Having Hunter in place starts to establish the Dead lexicon, folklore, and mythology.

20. mrbillswildride

(The) Wheel Spoke-n sir! :righton:

21. jacksondownunda

‘LIVE/DEAD’ and associated live albums January-June 1969

The Dead’s 1969 psychedelic live sound was getting bigger, rubbery, brutal and beautiful, and furthermore, they were playing the silence between notes (which wasn’t really the case during the Anthem shows). The Dead had been opening up “Dark Star” and honing “St Stephen/The Eleven”. With the help of signals split straight into a 16 track machine, they managed to capture great versions of these tunes and more. Generally considered one of rock’s great live albums, and at very least a definitive Grateful Dead live album.

Any thoughts on ‘LIVE/DEAD’? (I’m sure I’ll think of something eventually.)

Anybody heard some or all of the rest of these shows? Ya wanna comment? Given a time machine and a miracle ticket, which show would you visit? (If you were actually AT one of the shows from this era, spill it; we’re all ears.)

Attached Files:

22. jacksondownunda

Fillmore East 2-11-69

Two opening sets from a Janis night show the Dead delivering the Dark Star/St Stephen/The Eleven medley in a very focused performance. (Also includes homage to a cowbell great.)

From deaddisc.com

Fillmore East 2-11-69
    Grateful Dead
    Initial release : October 1997
    Grateful Dead Records/Arista GDCD-4054

Live vault release. Recorded on February 11, 1969 at the Fillmore East
    Tracks

Disc 1 - Early Show
    • Good Morning Little Schoolgirl (Williamson)
    • Cryptical Envelopment (Garcia)
    • The Other One (Weir / Kreutzmann)
    • Doin' That Rag (Garcia / Hunter)
    • I'm A King Bee (Moore, arr.Grateful Dead)
    • Turn On Your Lovelight (Scott / Malone)
    • Hey Jude (Lennon / McCartney)

Disc 2 - Late Show
    • Introduction
    • Dupree's Diamond Blues (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Mountains Of The Moon (Garcia / Hunter)
    • Dark Star (Garcia / Hunter / Kreutzmann / Lesh / McKernan / Weir)
    • St. Stephen (Garcia / Hunter / Lesh)
    • The Eleven (Lesh / Hunter)
    • Drums (Kreutzmann / Hart)
    • Caution (Do Not Sop On Tracks) (Grateful Dead)
    • Feedback (Grateful Dead)
    • We Bid You Goodnight (Traditional arr. Grateful Dead)
    • Cosmic Charlie (Garcia / Hunter) *
    * Cosmic Charlie is not listed on the CD track lists but is part of the We Bid You Goodnight track. The song is incomplete as the tape reel ran out on the original recording

Musicians
    • Tom Constanten - organ
    • Jerry Garcia - lead guitar, vocals
    • Mickey Hart - percussion
    • Bill Kreutzmann - percussion
    • Phil Lesh - bass, vocals
    • Ron McKernan - harmonica, percussion, vocals
    • Bob Weir - guitar, vocals

Credits
    • Producer - John Cutler, Phil Lesh
    • Mixing - John Cutler, Phil Lesh
    • Recording - Bob Matthews
    • Club Front - Dick Latvala, Jeffrey Norman
    • CD mastering - Ocean View Digital Mastering
    • Design - Gecko Graphics
    • Photography - Amalie R. Rothschild
    • Light images - Joshua Light Show
    CD booklet notes - Gary Lambert

Attached Files:

23. jacksondownunda

‘LIVE/DEAD’ & Fillmore West 1969 albums

Glorious music, a glorious front cover (and a back cover with a second hidden word that appears when high), and proof positive that cd running times can greatly enhance a beloved old album. Also spawned the fabulous “don’t miss a lick” box of live shows.

from deaddisc.com

Live/Dead
    Grateful Dead
    Initial release : November 1969
    Warner Bros. 2WS-1830
    Double LP of live recordings from early 1969.

Tracks (LP)

LP 1 - side 1
    • Dark Star (Garcia / Lesh / McKernan / Weir / Hart / Kreutzmann / Hunter)

LP 1 - side 2
    • Saint Stephen (Hunter / Garcia / Lesh)
    • The Eleven (Hunter / Lesh)

LP 2 - side 1

LP 2 - side 2
    • Death Don't Have No Mercy (Davis)
    • Feedback (McGannahan Skyjellyfetti)
    • And We Bid You Goodnight (Traditional)

Tracks (CD)
    The CD release maintains the LP order of tracks and presents them as an unbroken sequence of music on one disc:
    • Dark Star (Garcia / Lesh / McKernan / Weir / Hart / Kreutzmann / Hunter)
    • Saint Stephen (Hunter / Garcia / Lesh)
    • The Eleven (Hunter / Lesh)
    • Feedback (McGannahan Skyjellyfetti)
    • And We Bid You Goodnight (Traditional)
    Improvements in CD technolgy allowed the addition of two short hidden bonus tracks on the 2003 expanded CD release;
    • Dark Star (single version)
    • Radio spot

Credits
    • Producer - The Grateful Dead, Bob Matthews, Betty Cantor
    • Executive engineer - Bob Matthews
    • Engineer - Betty Cantor
    • Consulting engineer - Owsley, Ron Wickersham
    • Live recording - Alembic Recording Studios, Novato
    • Mixed at Muggles Gramophone, San Francisco
    • Sound - Bear
    • Kwipment Krew - Ramrod, John P. Hagen, Jackson, Kidd
    • Cover art - R.D. Thomas Liner photos - Herb Greene, Jim Marshall, Florence Nathan
    • Art direction - Ed Thrasher
    • Lyrics - Robert Hunter
    • Tunes - Jerry Garcia / Phil Lesh (note Dark Star is credited only to Garcia and Hunter on the original release)

Notes
    The songs on Live/Dead are thought to be from the following shows;
    • The Eleven and Turn On Your Lovelight - January 26, 1969
    • Dark Star and St Stephen - February 27, 1969
    • Death Don't Have No Mercy, Feedback and We Bid You Goodnight - March 2, 1969
    The tracks are sequenced to give the appearance of a single set. An appearance that is enhanced by the CD release that presents the whole, uninterrupted on a single disc. Garcia spoke of the sequence in an interview with Rolling Stone;
    We'd only recorded a few gigs to get that album. We were after a certain sequence to the music. In the sense of it being a serious, long composition, musically and then a recording of it, it's our music at one of it's really good moments.

This album was originally suggested as a means by which the band could extricate themselves from the large debt to Warner Bothers incurred during the recording of Aoxomoxoa.

Live/Dead was recorded at about the same time as Aoxomoxoa. The first Deadheads newsletter issued in 1971 also includes a quote from Garcia about the two albums;
    If you take LIVE DEAD and AOXOMOXOA together, you have a picture of what we were doing then. We were playing LIVE DEAD and we were recording AOXOMOXOA.

Related releases
    Released on a single CD in 1988 by Warner Brothers 1830-2
    Live/Dead was included in the box set;
    • The Golden Road (1965-1973), Grateful Dead, 2001

Dark Star and St Stephen (from 2/27/1969 show) and Death Don't Have No Mercy, Feedback and We Bid You Goodnight (from 3/2/1969 show) were subsequently included on;

----------------------------------------

'Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings'
    Grateful Dead
    Initial release: Nov 2005
    Grateful Dead Records

A 10 CD box set of "every note" played at the four Fillmore West shows from February 27th to March 2nd, 1969. Promoted as "the most significant audio release yet to emerge from the Grateful Dead's vault." Mixed from the 16 track master tapes. Mastered in HDCD. 51 tracks, nearly 10 hours of music, 76 pages booklet. Limited edition release of 10,000 copies. Each show is housed in its own digicase. The four shows and the booklet are in a box.

Tracks
    Disc One
    2/27/1969
    • That's It For The Other One:
    Cryptical Envelopment (Garcia)
    The Other One (Weir / Kreutzmann)

Disc Two
    • Dark Star (Garcia / Hart / Kreutzmann / Lesh / McKernan / Weir / Hunter)
    • St. Stephen (Garcia / Lesh / Hunter)
    • Cosmic Charlie (Garcia / Hunter)

Disc Three
    2/28/1969
    • Morning Dew (Dobson / Rose)
    • I'm A King Bee (Moore)

Disc Four

Disc Five
    • Alligator (Lesh / McKernan / Hunter)
    • Drums (Hart / Kreutzmann)
    • Jam (Grateful Dead)
    • Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) (Grateful Dead)

Disc Six
    3/1/1969
    • New Potato Caboose (Lesh / Petersen)
    • Cosmic Charlie (Garcia / Hunter)

Disc Seven
    • Hey Jude (Lennon / McCartney)

Disc Eight
    3/2/1969

Disc Nine

Disc Ten
    • Alligator (Lesh / McKernan / Hunter)
    • Drums (Hart / Kreutzmann)
    • Jam (Grateful Dead)

Credits
    • Producer - David Lemieux, Jeffrey Norman
    • Executive producer - Cameron Sears
    • Recording engineers - Bob Matthews, Betty Cantor
    • Mixing, mastering - Jeffrey Norman at Club Front, Novato
    • Archival research - Eileen Law/Grateful Dead Archives
    • Photos - Rosie McGee, Herbie Greene, Michael Merritt, Baron Wolman, Peter Simon, Amalie R. Rothschild, Suanne C Skidd, Sylvia Clarke Hamilton
    • Cover lettering - Richard Biffle
    • Art coordinator - Brian Connors
    • Booklet essay - Dennis McNally
    • Package design - Robert Minkin/MinkinDesign
    • Special thanks - Phil Driver, L Budd, Orion Trist, Stephen Jarvis
    • Recorded live at The Fillmore West, San Francisco, February 27 - March 2, 1969

Related releases
    That's It For The Other One (Cryptical Envelopment > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment) from 2/27/69 was originally released on;
    • So Many Roads (1965-1995), Grateful Dead, 1999

------------------------------
    A 3 CD compilation of the music on these 10 CDs was sold through normal retail outlets;
    'Fillmore West 1969: Compilation'
    Grateful Dead, 2005

The tracks on this collection are from the following shows.

Disc One
    • Morning Dew - Feb 28, 1969
    • Good Morning Little Schoolgirl - Feb 28, 1969
    • Doin' That Rag - Feb 28, 1969
    • I'm A King Bee - Feb 28, 1969
    • Cosmic Charlie - Feb 27, 1969
    • Turn On Your Lovelight - Feb 28, 1969

Disc Two
    • Dupree's Diamond Blues - March 1, 1969
    • Mountains Of The Moon - March 1, 1969
    • Dark Star - Feb 28, 1969
    • St. Stephen - Feb 28, 1969
    • The Eleven - Feb 28, 1969
    • Death Don't Have No Mercy - Feb 28, 1969

Disc Three
    • That's It For The Other One - March 2, 1969
    Cryptical Envelopment - March 2, 1969
    The Other One - March 2, 1969
    Cryptical Envelopment - March 2, 1969
    • Alligator - March 2, 1969
    • Drums - March 2, 1969
    • Jam - March 2, 1969
    • Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) - March 2, 1969
    • Feedback - March 2, 1969
    • We Bid You Goodnight - March 2, 1969

Related releases
    We Bid You Goodnight from 3/2/1969 were originally released on;
    • Live/Dead, Grateful Dead, 1969

Attached Files:

24. jacksondownunda

April ’69 live – Download 12 & Dicks Pick’s 26

Familiarity breeds confidence, and here are the Dead deftly mixing up sets and time signatures at the height of their powers.

from deaddisc.com..

'Grateful Dead Download Series Volume 12 - 4/17/69'
    Initial release : 2006
    Grateful Dead Records

The twelfth in a series of shows made available by downloading from the official Grateful Dead site. All of the April 17, 1969 show at Washington University, St. Louis, MO. There are two additional tracks from a rehearsal at the Avalon Ballroom on January 23, 1969. The downloads are available in both 128 & 256 MP3 and high quality lossless FLAC formats.

Tracks
    Disc 1;
    • Hard To Handle (Redding / Jones / Isbell)
    • Dark Star > (Garcia / Hart / Kreutzmann / Lesh / McKernan / Weir / Hunter)
    • St. Stephen > (Garcia / Lesh / Hunter)
    • I Know It's A Sin > (Reed / Reed)
    • St. Stephen > (Garcia / Lesh / Hunter)
    • Turn On Your Lovelight (Malone / Scott)

Disc 2;
    • That's It For The Other One >

Bonus tracks from rehearsal at the Avalon Ballroom, January 23, 1969

Credits
    • Recording - Bear
    • Mastering - Jeffrey Norman
    Notes The first ten minutes of this show were not recorded on reel-to-reel tape. This portion of the show has been remastered from the cassette master of the show. The rest of the show is mastered from the master reel-to-reel tapes.

----------------------------------------------------

'Dick's Picks, Volume 26'
    Initial release : October 2002
    Grateful Dead Records GDCD-4046

Two CD set of music from shows on Electric Theater, Chicago on April 26, 1969* and Labour Temple, Minneapolis on April 27, 1969.

Tracks
    Disc 1
    • China Cat Sunflower (Garcia / Hunter)
    • I Know It's A Sin (J & M Reed)
    • Me and My Uncle (Phillips)
    • Sitting On Top Of The World (Carter / Jacobs)

Disc 2

Credits
    • Recording engineer - Owsley Stanley
    • CD Mastering - Jeffrey Norman
    • Tape Archivists - David Lemieux
    • Archival Research - Eileen Law/Grateful Dead Archives
    • Design, layout - Robert Minkin
    • Special thanks to Becky and Gary Halonen

Notes
    Dupree's Diamond Blues, Mountains Of The Moon, China Cat Sunflower, Doin' That Rag, Cryptical Envelopment> The Other One>The Eleven>The Other One>I Know It's A Sin are from the show at the Electric Theater, Chicago on April 26, 1969. These are highlights, not the complete show.
    *See also from this same show “Fallout From The Phil Zone” GDCD-4052 Viola Lee Blues>7’s>Viola Lee Blues.

Turn On Your Lovelight, Me and My Uncle, Sitting On Top Of The World, Dark Star, St. Stephen, The Eleven, Turn On Your Lovelight and Morning Dew are from the show at the Labor Temple, Minneapolis on April 27,1969. This is the complete show.

-------
    also;
    A bonus CD of music recorded live at the Carousel Ballroom/Fillmore West between 1968-1970 was distributed with copies of the Fillmore West 1969 compilation pre-ordered from dead.net;

'Fillmore West 1969 Bonus Disc'
    Grateful Dead, 2005

He Was A Friend Of Mine - June 8, 1969
    China Cat Sunflower - June 8, 1969
    New Potato Caboose - June 8, 1969

Attached Files:

25. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

i should also add, for the overwhelming Beatles contingent on the board, that as a life-long Beatles fan transitioning into the Dead, this album was a good bridge for me. Shorter song forms, hooky melodies (Baby? withstanding), variety of styles, vintage late 60s grooviness, and the overall cohesive vibe of the album made a lot of sense to me as Beatles fan. If that makes sense, and you're thinking about checking the GD out, this might be a good jumping in point.

Also forgot to note, that I think St. Stephen is an absolutely killer album opener!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.