Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Spazros

Spazros Forum Resident

I dont skip Drums/Space but I did skip this release. I listened to what I could on YouTube and dug it but couldn't get immersed with the sound coming out of a laptop. I may seek this out and buy it because there are times I wish people would just shut the F up and let the music play. This would come in handy during those times.

Eyes74, trd and Al Gator like this.
  2. DalkeyIsl

DalkeyIsl Forum Resident

Good Morning. Im also one of those who bought this when it came out, listened and shelved it. Before getting into my thoughts, I will say the generally my recollection is that I always loved the drums/space portion the shows.. First, it was always a chance to take a breath, even sit when available. Id look over my notes on set lists and relax for a few minutes with my late friend and show partner. Some shows were better than others, often the venue had a difference on the sound. Once the drums took a rest, one of my favorite parts of the show was listening to Jerry, Bob, Brent and others interact with each other and also to what hints I could hear as the first song out of space might be...
    As for the CD, it took a while to find it, and Im thankful its on this list, as I listened to much of this last week, and really enjoyed it--some a bit louder than my wife cared for, but it was a good listen. It made me recall a few shows from MSG in the 90's when they blew the crowd away with train horns during space- loud as hell also!! MSG always had the best acoustics, and one in particular I remember: 9-18-87 as you could hear GTRFB out of space... I loved to tune into the opening notes of the next song as the band regrouped. Some of that regrouping out of space was very slow and gradual, and others like the show I just mentioned, were a few quick notes and you'd see Bill and Mickey almost rush back to their seats as Jerry seemingly queued "lets roll"
    This CD is not something i would bring on a road trip, but it was great to play it again. It brought back moments from shows as i listened, and enjoyed it.

3. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

A little late but I listened to OFTV this morning... Great sounding release, and the band is definitely all on the same page. Echoing what @Crispy Rob said, hearing Keith play the Fender Rhodes so much is cool. H>S>F is my favorite sequence but I enjoyed the whole album. I'm glad this thread caused me to give it a listen today.

4. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

If Infrared Roses is anything like the Drums > Space from Saint of Circumstance, then I might actually like it. Second hand copies are quite reasonably priced on Discogs, but I have been able to resist the temptation so far.

ianuaditis and Al Gator like this.
  5. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

I always liked the idea of this album in the abstract but never go for it because the Drums and Space segments, when they work for me, are always part of the organic flow of the show, building off the surplus energy or vibrations in a song and taking me off in a wild Bacchic frenzy (metaphorically) or meditative trance, Nietzsche’s Birth of Tragedy if you’re into that kind of thing.

Extracting these pieces from the larger context of the set makes them lose something for me. The best second sets have a sequential flow that really works. It’s another example of the sum being greater than the whole, an essential element of the Dead’s appeal to me and many others. I believe a philosophical term for this is ‘emergence.’

This is still an interesting release for me, just as an example of an idea that should work but doesn’t quite live up to the expectations. I feel like this album taught me something about what I love about the Dead, even if I don’t love it.

I do enjoy Hunter’s titles and enjoy imaging him listening to these pieces and dreaming them up. The titles “Friend of the Devil” and “Uncle John’s Band” were amongst the things that initially appealed to me about the Dead. The guy could turn a phrase.

If this was a collection of “jams” from 73-74, I’d probably think differently.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  6. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Indeed, I'd say exactly the same.

jmadad and Al Gator like this.
  7. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

This nails it for me. It's why I don't listen to it very much.

On the other hand, the upcoming 2FTV...

ianuaditis, Paul Remesic and Eyes74 like this.
  8. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

It's not an archival release in the normal sense. Infrared Roses was a contemporary compilation of drums and space from late 89, spring 90 and fall 90, and 1991. That encompasses Brent Mydland, Bruce Hornsby and Vince Welnick eras along with Bob Bralove, who was live mixing and looping. I'm glad I found a used copy of the CD recently. It sounds GREAT, and its a unique release from the Dead or any band, really.

9. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

Yeah... you aren't going to be able to appreciate it from your laptop speakers, try it in a car or on a home stereo... and get back to me

Spazros and Al Gator like this.
  10. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

I had no idea that Infrared Roses was even a thing... so I *ahem* tracked down a copy and listened to it.

(some time later)

Well, it's certainly a thing. I haven't really warmed to late-era Dead just yet, and I don't think this set is helping my cause.

It'll come, I have no doubt of that, but I don't think it'll be because of this.

Kudos for the big brass balls to release this though.

ianuaditis and Al Gator like this.
  11. cvila

cvila Senior Member

The key to listening to Infrared Roses is breaking it into the four Drums/Space sequences.
    Unfortunately, the indexing is slightly counter-intuitive.
    Try listening like this:
    1. I. Crowd Sculpture> Parallelogram> Little Nemo In Nightland (13:46)
    2. II. Riverside Rhapsody> Post-Modern Highrise Table Top Stomp> Infrared Roses (13:58)
    3. III. Silver Apples Of The Moon> Speaking In Swords> Magnesium Night Light (14:42)
    4. IV. Sparrow Hawk Row> River Of Nine Sorrows> Apollo At The Ritz (16:05)

12. outrolado

outrolado Forum Resident

I think it was a unique and even brave move to release it. Fully improv-avant garde pieces. I remember first hearing it in the '90s and being blown away by how psychedelic and futuristic it was. In many ways, these segments in the late '80s-95 were the most forward thinking musical direction of the band. Where a lot of "songs" and setlist structure had grown a little stale and formulaic, these segments were at least fresh.

ceddy10165, Eyes74, adamos and 5 others like this.
  13. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I love Dead jams and transitions between songs. But never really loved drums and space. This release was all drums and space. I played it maybe twice and I think I will keep it that way.

At one time I had a 16 minute laserdisc of some animations to some of the CD release I think it was called Infrared Roses.

Al Gator likes this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Not sure I'd consider this an archival release, as it was fairly contemporary. Anyway, I bought this back around when it came out and probably listened to it a handful of times. I remember thinking overall it was a good selection of interesting parts of Drums/Space, but I had so many versions of Drums/Space, including versions on this album, that it wasn't something I was going to want to listen to much.

In the late 90s, when I was a student again and money was tight, I traded it in to fund other music purchases. Only a few months ago, during an extended and continuing COVID buying spree (I can't spend money on live music, I can't change my surroundings, so what can I do -- change my musical options!) I went on a completist GD/Jerry jag and filled in a few gaps in the collection, including this. So, thanks to doing that, I was able to spin this again.

What do I think? The crowd sculpture is pretty useless. Parallelogram is a slightly better than average drum solo picked for who knows what reason. But a few things jumped out: Post-Modern Table Top Stomp, and the bass playing on that track, was particularly cool. Magnesium Night Light, taken from the only show I attended that makes an appearance here, as far as I can tell or find out about on Wikipedia (Hampton 10/9/89) sounded great, and Apollo at the Ritz with Branford from 3/29/90 was terrific. Other parts were generally interesting enough. Kind of cool that they were excited enough about their Drums/Space work in this era to put this out, and overall, justified. A better listen than I remembered. Although I won't be going back too often, it's nice to have in the house again.

sami, rockinlazys, Archtop and 10 others like this.
  15. Al Gator

16. Al Gator

[​IMG]

Two from the Vault
    Recording date: August 24, 1968
    Release date: May 1992

Disc 1
    1. "Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl" (Sonny Boy Williamson) – 15:59
    2. "Dark Star" > (Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh, Ron McKernan, Bob Weir, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Robert Hunter) – 11:20
    3. "St. Stephen" > (Garcia, Lesh, Hunter) – 4:40
    4. "The Eleven" > (Lesh, Hunter) – 14:27
    5. "Death Don't Have No Mercy" (Reverend Gary Davis) – 8:23
    Disc 2
    1. "That's It for the Other One" > (Garcia, Kreutzmann, Weir) – 15:40
    2. "New Potato Caboose" > (Lesh, Robert Petersen) – 14:16
    3. "Turn On Your Lovelight" (Joseph Scott, Deadric Malone) – 17:13
    4. "(Walk Me Out in the) Morning Dew" (Bonnie Dobson, Tim Rose) – 7:13
    Note: "Morning Dew" ends abruptly as the power is turned off due to curfew

Disc three (2007 expanded edition, from August 23, 1968)
    1. "Alligator" > (McKernan, Lesh, Hunter) – 18:43
    2. "Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)" > (McKernan, Grateful Dead) – 11:30
    3. "Feedback" (Grateful Dead) – 4:01

The second vault release was very different from the first. From early in the band’s career, it shows the band exploring their early psychedelic material with tracks like Dark Star and The Other One, while still providing Pigpen with multiple opportunities to shine.

It’s another multitrack recording, this time from an early 8-track. The release indicates it’s from August 23 and 24, 1968, but it’s actually the complete show from the 24th. Parts of the 23rd appeared on the expanded Anthem of the Sun remaster, as well as on a three disc re-release of Two from the Vault.

It was packaged exactly the same way as the first - a four-section cardboard foldout containing two discs and no booklet. Liner notes included detailed recording and mixing information, as well as an essay remembering Pigpen from an attendee of a 1970 concert.

The main show starts with a 15-minute version of Good Morning Little Schoolgirl. I have to admit that while I’m sure he was a great frontman, I don’t usually find Pigpen as exciting on tape, especially his raps. But this opener has enough energy and jamming to keep my interest.

The famous Live Dead suite is starting to take shape. Dark Star has started to really expand beyond its early roots, although it’s still got the infamous repetitive-organ-riff that pulls it down. St. Stephen leads into an amazing version of The Eleven, long and rollicking, and then into a stunning Death Don't Have No Mercy.

The second disc starts with a full-length, superb Other One suite with a particularly good Cryptical reprise. A wild New Potato Caboose keeps the show rolling, and Lovelight is a lot of fun if a bit long at over 15 minutes. A Morning Dew encore is building towards a great climax when somebody pulls the plug, and the show is abruptly over.

I’m not going to comment on the third disc because it’s not part of the original release.

After the magic worked on the problematic original recordings (the liner notes contain details on instrument leakage and how they time-corrected the different tracks), the sound quality is great, much better than would be expected from a 1968 live recording. The mix is a little odd with most instruments and vocals panned sharply to one side or the other but that’s not enough to ruin a fine early Dead show.

This is essential listening for any Grateful Dead fan.

17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ok, I’ll just post my “review” notes (previously found in The Grateful Thread)—

Two From The Vault — Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, CA, 24/08/68 . . .
    • Good Mornin’ Little School Girl — a bluesy, prowling 15-minute Pigpen showcase;
    • Dark Star > an energetic, acid-drenched early version with great guitar tone and swirling, cyclical keyboard/organ riffing throughout. Really quite astonishingly beautiful;
    • St. Stephen > powerfully concise, smokin’ hot, which ratchets up a notch to a searing heat after the “lady finger dipped in moonlight” section before transitioning effortlessly into a mind-blowing;
    • The Eleven > — hold on as there’s some face-stealing, body-shaking, mind-melting jamming here within. An absolutely wild ride, segueing smoothly into;
    • Death Don’t Have No Mercy — a passionate, emotional rendition with fierce soloing;
    • That’s It For The Other One > — a primal monster, swinging from gentle to thunderous and booming;
    • New Potato Caboose > — tight jamming with a jaw-dropping, turning moment at around the 6-minute mark where Phil steers everyone into a waltz-like showcase for about 5-minutes before veering back again;
    • Turn On Your Love Light — epic early version with Jerry letting loose with some insanely wild shredding;
    • Morning Dew — intense, frenetic version which ends when the venue cuts the . . .
    Bonus material from the night before — Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, CA, 23/08/68 . . .
    • Alligator > — a/the definitive version. Just tremendous. Insane, epic, transcendent;
    • Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) > — explosive and rhythmic, smokin’ hot psychedelia. A blistering, powerhouse performance;
    • Feedback — after that neck-breaking, mind-blowing assault on the senses, the ride finally ends here.
    Jesus Christ.

18. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Two From The Vault - One someone asks me what live Dead show from the '60s should they get, THIS is always the one I recommend. Just as One From The Vault showcased the Dead as a tight, well-rehearsed, polished mid-'70's band, this one showcases the Dead as a well-rehearsed, polished, electrified-acid-grease band.
    Pig's raps aren't drawn out, the band and songs are well-rehearsed; the Dead are so synched that every tempo change seems somehow organized. The spacy jams and solos from Jerry aren't so "out there" that they might scare or bewilder new listeners. This is a "just exactly perfect" showcase of primal Dead.
    Listening to Jerry pretty much carry all of the extended jams, yes there is a brief drums segment, makes me understand why Jerry wanted a keyboardist that could solo and give him a break. Pig does play well, and does some interesting psychedelic organ swirls and fills, but he is not a soloist and Jerry needed someone who could solo to give him a breather - lol.
    Anyway, Jerry's extended solos are magical and he makes that black '57 Gibson howl with amplified joy. I highly advise hunting down the 3-cd version with the added songs from the 8/23 show, the Alligator>Caution>Feedback is :pineapple:
    Seriously, it is frickin' :cheers:
    "The Grateful Dead. The one and only Grateful Dead!

Rating: 4.7323440
    [​IMG]

19. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

I really need to buy this release (Two from the Vault). When I first really got into the Dead a few years ago, I bought up a lot of the "official" Archival live releases but have been focusing on searching out as many Dicks Picks as I can - both used and from Real Gone when they reissue them. For some reason this release and Three from the Vault fell through the cracks. I need to rectify that.

This is a great thread - its going to cost me some serious cash though, I can see...

ARK, dgwint, MorningDew and 5 others like this.
  20. Al Gator

Regarding the three-disc version, I believe the extra tracks are also on the remastered Anthem of the Sun (although not on the 50th anniversary edition of that album). So you don't need to seek it out if you've got that.

21. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I have the full From The Vault 7CD box set, I got it a few months ago and have been too lazy to rip it, so it remains unplayed. Will have to try to remedy that tomorrow so I can play along with y’all.

ARK, Spazros, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  22. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Good timing, I just came across this yesterday:
    [​IMG]
    I guess this release has my favorite version of 'St. Steven...'

No idea where tape 2 is, probably right next to my lost cassette of One Nation under a Groove.

23. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

OK...This is the real deal!
    Two From the Vault is one of the albums that caused me to fully submerge myself again in a Grateful Dead after a longer pause that had followed initial discovery of the band. I played this to death back in that day and hence this has also somewhat of a sentimental value for me. Live/Dead was the first culprit I got hooked on Dead, and this stuff here is very much alike, though a bit more raw. But it's exactly what I was looking to hear back then.

First off, I am an official releases guy and I like my Dead to sound good. Sound quality plays its a role when I am rating a release... And this one sounds great!

Set list here is a prime example of the "primal" heavy-psychedelic Dead. It is everything you could ask for.

OK, the opener GMLS is a bit slow. I don't know if it is just me, but when it comes to "Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl", I prefer the studio version from the debut studio album. It's concise and has a great groove, which some meandering live versions can loose sometimes. It is a cool opener that warmed up the band, but for me it's the weakest number here.
    The rest of the release is epic. A groovy early "Dark Star" with soaring Jerry tones. A powerful "Saint Stephen". It is interesting to hear how it is still work in progress here, as playing during the "Irish part" coda is a bit different. Then the absolute epic, bone-crushing "Eleven", an all-timer right here for sure. Please play this to someone who thinks the Dead are too mellow. "Death Don’t Have No Mercy" is one of my favorite pieces of Dead music and this version is a strong one. What a disc - a classic Live/Dead sequence in all its 1968 primal glory and with excellent sound! If this release had only one disc, it would already be essential.

2nd disc has some real goodies, the crown jewel being "New Potato Caboose", an epic rendition with jamming to die for and crazy Phil bass parts. He sounds like he is having a time of his life. The rest of the versions are also great. Searing soloing by Jerry (as @SJR mentioned) during "Lovelight" is a must-hear. Though I prefer later, stretched out versions of "That's it for the other One", this one is a textbook example of the classic early rendition of the suite. Therefore, an essential listening. As for the "Morning Dew", I strongly prefer slowed down versions but that's not saying there is anything wrong with this one. The forced ending gives this release an extra touch of authenticity.

All in all this is a prime example of "primal" Dead; an absolutely essential release and a must-hear for anyone interested in the Grateful Dead. If you want to check out the sixties, I'd recommend to start with Live/Dead and Two from the Vault.

Overall rating of the original release: 4.5/5

Important notice:
    I have the "From the Vault Box Set", where Two is a 3CD expanded edition with bonus disc. The material from 8/23 on the bonus disc is a pure gold and on the whole it is even stronger than the second disc. It is a non stop manifesto of the primal Dead in its most raucous, raw, jammy and trippy. With this expanded 3CD edition Two from the Vault reaches category of a 5/5 release. All given, let's give it a 4,70 today :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  24. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Two From The Vault is probably my favorite 1960s live Dead release - yes, even over Live/Dead. It's a stellar selection of songs, tightly performed and in excellent sound quality. Although I'm more partial to early 70s Dead music, it's hard to argue with the quality of the music here.

25. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Very good psychedelic blues-rock performance from the time and the place, but does not measure up to where the Dead were already heading for (and would reach in a few months).

Two from the Vault
    would get from me an easy 4, if it were recorded by a different band, but in the Dead scale it is at best 3+ in my book.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    ianuaditis, Al Gator and Doggiedogma like this.