Grateful Dead: Barton Hall, Cornell U. 5/8/77 & "Get Shown The Light" box set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

[​IMG]

bzfgt likes this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

No patch on 5/9/77 "The Music Never Stopped", they just did editing. Perfectly fine with me. Edit takes place at 6:42.

3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

That's a bummer from my perspective, I'd rather have the whole solo...

Six Bachelors likes this.
  4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Did anyone figure out the 5/8 LL>Supplication patch? I don't remember if an answer ever came up.

5. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Jerry's voice moves around on 5/5/77's Peggy-O. It's position on the soundstage is anywhere from near left center, center, to near right center. Just an observation as I listen to this awesome show today. The sound is terrific.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I would have preferred an audience patch from the correct show, too. Although I can also see why they chose the approach they did for such a high profile release.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The last three songs or so of 5/13/77 in the first May box are taken from elsewhere, including the previously releases June '77 Winterland shows. There are stories out there that someone spilled a drink at the soundboard which made the soundboard recordings unusable, and there are no good audience recordings known in circulation, all IIRC.

bzfgt and budwhite like this.
  8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

My only complaint about patches on Dead releases is that we're never officially informed about their identity (exact date).

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Ah, good to know. I prefer an edit to flying in parts of another show. Still a very unfortunate place for a reel change, but that's the rub with recording an unpredictable band.

bzfgt likes this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

GDTRFB is from 6/8/77 and "One More Saturday Night" was taken from the 5/28/77 show.

Freebird, trd, Six Bachelors and 4 others like this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Thanks for filling in my memory gaps.

Rne likes this.
  12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Yeah...except that it was only released on the box (or download). I would be happier if it were on Cornell as that was the standalone set. I don’t get their inconsistency with patching. Sometimes they simply join the pieces, sometimes that use a different show’z SBD and sometimes they use an AUD. I’d always vote for the latter, even if the quality is bad.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  13. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Glorious HDCD. Stunning sound.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The real 5/13/77 ending is on the Archive. There are sound problems starting at the closing chorus of Goin' Down The Road. I wouldn't call it unusable but maybe for a mainstream release they thought it was.

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yeah, I finally listened to that when I was marathoning May and June '77 several months ago. It's pretty bad sounding, although I wanted to listen to it (and the full doctor stuff at the beginning of the show) for historical purposes.

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

What about U.S. Blues? Was that from Chicago?

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It is supposed to be from the actual Chicago show, yes.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  18. Radardog

Radardog Forum Resident

Anyone recommend the Cornell book? Don't have a ton of time for reading these days. Listen to music while working...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

It's not a great book but is an easy read. The section in the middle about taping, Bear and the growth of the trading/touring community is definitely worth reading.

Crispy Rob, Matthew Tate and trd like this.
  20. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Surprisingly thin for something published by the Cornell University Press. I expected much better.

21. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I still haven’t read the book. Another item for my ever-growing GoGD to-do list, thanks for the reminder.

Unfortunately the decision to include that book inside the box is likely what led to the oversized and impractical CD sleeves. Really wish they’d just provided it separately. But no need to go back there, despite the fact that I just did. :) And Dr. Rhino kindly replaced all my scratched/scuffed CDs (which was all of them).

22. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I did buy the hi res version of this from HD Tracks. Frankly, this is one of those times where I do not think the hi res bump had much to offer over the regular redbook version. But it was cool just to be able to purchase such a thing after jonesing for a regular release from the original betty boards.

23. RueBourbon76

RueBourbon76 Forum Resident

Nobody said 5-8-77 was the best (well, OK the marketing hype of the individual release did) but it is undoubtedly the most popular from that tour and will likely remain that way forever. I don't believe in "best" Dead shows but popular shows are a reality...2-13-14-70, 8-27-72, 3-29-90, etc.

Ivand and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

You know, I that show became famous because they did everything pretty much "right" and nothing really wrong. The scarlet into fire was really good; I like Phil's "woop" sounds on the bass.

nitsuj, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

5/9/77 has great "woop"s at the end of "Help On The Way."

Crispy Rob likes this.