Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2017 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

IIRC, Norman said that he would redo the '72 Europe box for free, just to get it right. But it aint going to happen of course. But he was very upfront that he wasn't satisfied with his work on it, it was a rush job etc

US Blues and Rne like this.
  2. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

[​IMG]

3. BurtThomasWard

One of them newfangled synthesizers, then...

[​IMG]

Turner, nitsuj and trd like this.
  4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It’s maddening if Mr Norman has actually doubled the bass...but how is it even possible when working from a stereo source rather than a multi?

I’d love to see the untouched cells...

footlooseman likes this.
  5. BurtThomasWard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ron had the general idea.

footlooseman and Six Bachelors like this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, he had to work at a much faster pace than he was used to. The steam trunk is still a hell of a release (one of my favorite ever by anyone, counting any genre of music, in fact), but Steppin' Out or Rockin' The Rhein, both done with more time and care, feature definitely better mixes.

Blue Note and budwhite like this.
  7. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I wonder if Scorcese edits out people’s boogers too.

8. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Yep and 9-27-72 is one of my favorite Bobby nights! He seemed particularly into it and glad that he’s prominent in the mix. Feels like you’re standing right in front of his rig.

Crispy Rob, hyde park and budwhite like this.
  9. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I haven't even gotten DP 24 yet. Not even a shipping notice. Should I be concerned?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I'd order it again, hoping to actually receive one this time. :waiting:

budwhite and SBegonias17 like this.
  11. Samadams757

Samadams757 Forum Resident

I would contact Dr Rhino to check on the status. Also, Marye at the Dead.net site is always very helpful.

12. David Beckwith

Heck, I'd order it again as well! I remember trying to order one just after it was announced and it was already sold out. The next day I noticed dozens on eBay for double. I wrote Grateful Dead Merchandising explaining how it's ridiculous that these copies are already showing up on eBay and that actual fans can't get access to the Box Set. Apparently lots of other people did the same thing and they cancelled a lot of those orders and re-offered the set to those that wanted them. Always loved that they went the extra mile to ensure it fell into the right hands.

Mansley, nitsuj and ianuaditis like this.
  13. Samadams757

Samadams757 Forum Resident

Has anyone had a problem with the last song on Disc 3? Mine abruptly ends with about 20 seconds left. Going to contact the site to see what happens.

14. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Finally was able to finish up 24 this morning. I have to admit, I think this is a good, not great, show considering the year. I'm glad to have it, the "Truckin > TOO > Stella" run alone salvages this, but there weren't as many highlights and I'd have hoped and the truncated S2 is a bummer.

15. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I’d hope to order it for a first time :agree:

US Blues likes this.
  16. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

That’s my assessment as well, it’s a very good show that just doesn’t hit the highs of the best ‘72 shows. Really just two great songs in set 2 (Truckin and TOO), the Stella was a little underwhelming and OMSN/Sugar Mag were what I expect for 72.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  17. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I would check for sure. I didn't get my shipping notice, but I received DP24 in the mail last Friday and I'm in the Fort Worth area.

Matthew Tate and bubba-ho-tep like this.
  18. Dean Learner

Dean Learner Forum Resident

Near the very end of Sugar Mag, about the 6:50 mark, I start getting a clicking until the actual end roughly a minute later. I sent notice to customer service. We'll see how long it takes to get a replacement disc.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. US Blues

I ordered mine before the website utterly crashed, but all the early orders were lost. I was on the phone for days, they kept telling me it was in the warehouse and would "ship soon." Massive incompetence on every level, along with lies worthy of the mango traitor.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The reason why I hate each time they announce a release featuring a show I'm interested in. As if the problems in my country to get imported products by mail weren't enough :realmad:

US Blues likes this.
  21. David Beckwith

Ugh. That blows. Sorry to hear that.

US Blues likes this.
  22. David Beckwith

Unfortunately (or I guess fortunately in this case) they’ve already released a lot of the top shows of the year. That begs the question of what’s left to release from ‘72. Luckily still a bunch of options such as the ones below.

9-23-72
    9-28-72
    10-17/18/19-72 (hoping for a Box Set of these)
    11-19-72 (not sure if the sound quality in the vault is good enough)

I’m sure there are few more October / November shows, but I know it depends on sound quality as the tapes are variable on that tour after some recording equipment for stolen.

23. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Just happened to be listening to this very passage as I was reading this. In my mind I'm thinking "wow, Bob is kinda high in the mix and with the hard panning it's really easy to hear what he's playing. Cool!"

Crispy Rob likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

wow maybe i should check mine since i haven't played it yet

Ryan Donahue likes this.
  25. US Blues

No worries, I got the music, and scans of the artwork. And having just moved across State lines, having one less giant and heavy item to schlep is just fine with me. Moving is hard work friends, start unburdening yourself now. :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.