Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2021 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackstraw78, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

I can’t play what he’s playing either, just adding 2 cents from my blues box, lol

2. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

Jamming along to Help Slipknot is not easy at all. Really need to be on your toes. I learnt most of the Help Jerry runs off you tube. And Still have trouble keeping up. An easier route would be to jam along to the early/mid 70’s Eyes. The major key parts are easy to play along with and you can experiment with more modal minor key leads as they switch gears towards the end with the minor chord jams. Plenty of room to stretch there. Not sure why they did away with those minor key improv jam passages along with that cool repeating jazzy riff thing. Seemed to stop when Mickey returned

Esau was included on the regular cassette version of in the dark right after When Push Cones to Shove. At least it was on mine.

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Outside of Mile High Stadium in Denver the street vendors will sell you real Mexican food after the game- tacos, burritos, and so forth. The stadium was also built with decks high up for halftime leg stretching and mountain viewing. Once cannabis became legal in Colorado these became the site of the halftime party, better than drunks, and it mellows the pain of Bronco football over that last 5 years.

4. Eyes74

Eyes74 Abstractor of the Quintessence

Eyes is a great one to play along with. That Help>Slip transition is a beast for sure, lol.

ARK, Crispy Rob, Echoes71 and 5 others like this.
  5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Nothing mellows the pain of Jets football. The new stadium seems to have need designed so that it will take longer to get in and out of the stadium than the rest of the game. Then you get to navigate the parking lot exits. They should allow camping.

ARK, notesofachord, Ray29 and 4 others like this.
  6. trd

trd Forum Resident

It’s a B side on the 12” 45 of Touch. That was a nice find at the record store one day

7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

"Finally! I can hear 'Brother Esau'!" - trd, I'm assuming

notesofachord, KCWhistle, trd and 2 others like this.
  8. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Yeah my band tried to learn Help on the Way->slipknot once. That didn't go so well. Actually it was a pathetic failure.

9. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Just saw am email announcing the pick. Another Spectrum show. Wahoo IWT.

10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Need moar Boston showz.

11. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

It might not be the regular route but the bus usually ends up in never ever land

12. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Oh stop. I'm a Bills fan. At least you guys have 1969.

13. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Frank Zappa taught me I could do anything in a solo and make it work (pretty much :p ), but my big takeaway as a guitarist from the Dead is Bobby's rhythm playing. Love playing along to Dead stuff, messing around as the rhythm player and using different chord placements and things. So much fun.

They really taught me a lot as far as "oh, an E chord doesn't necessarily have to be played on the first two frets" and things like that :)

Soloing is really tricky for me - I taught myself when I was a kid (completely, no books or teachers etc) so unfortunately I'm useless with scales and soloing in key. I can crap shoot my way through it and pull of an awesome solo, but its pure chance most of the time, haha

14. warewolf95

So says @Eyes74

:cheers:

ARK, footlooseman, KCWhistle and 3 others like this.
  15. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Been jamming along with Eyes a ton lately, in preparation for a jam with some old friends. I particularly like playing along with the Des Moines 74 version on the Wall of Sound Road Trips release, which is the perfect tempo and has all the nodal jams at the end.

As someone who also can get a bit stuck in the “blues box” on guitar, it’s been a lot of fun trying to work out some of Jerry’s scales and runs. What I’ve learned, though, is that so much of what Jerry is able to accomplish is reliant on the chordal underpinning created by Bob, Phil, and Keith. So, when I was jamming along with the recording, I could keep up pretty well but, when I tried to recreate it in the jam with my buddies (drum, bass, guitar only), it was a total mess because that base was not there. Really made me appreciate the interlocking musical parts of the Dead.

16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Scott Norwood

ARK, bliss44, notesofachord and 3 others like this.
  17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

As a long suffering Philly boy, I have to ask. Is a win 52 yrs ago better than 4 consecutive losses 30 yrs ago?

18. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

You're a Bobby and I'm a Jerry. I speak crappy Italian to Jerry's fluent French. Bob speaks Mandarin to me, I can't even use his alphabet; I have no idea what he's doing.

They're both incredible players and Bobby did well to learn how to compliment Jerry since he came first and laid down the law.

I feel bad at this point. The setlist of the new Pick looks decent.

19. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I don't play guitar but I will pick mine up occasionally as an ear training exercise. I should be practicing right now.

Eyes74, bzfgt, Guy Smiley and 2 others like this.
  20. warewolf95

It's fascinating, aint it? :) One of the best parts of listening to the Dead is that its like 6 people soloing at the same time but it congeals into a song, lol.

I can zero in on Phil or Jerry or Bobby and its always interesting.

As far as my playing goes, I have the physical ability but I don't have the mental skills - I can rarely learn a solo for the life of me, my memory just can't handle it, lol. It's like I have the keys in the ignition but I don't know how to drive :)

I love to noodle around to stuff but I'm definitely a rhythm guy when it gets down to it. I have no problem doing any crazy chord you want, but tell me to learn a lead line and you are speaking spanish.

KCWhistle, Eyes74, Spazros and 5 others like this.
  21. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Remembering a bunch of weird chords is the same as remembering a bunch of weird scales. Both are hard.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    KCWhistle, Eyes74, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  22. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

23. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Fortunately muscle memory sticks around much better than mental memories. For chords I think of it kind of like sign language of something. Throwing shapes with your hands. Don’t ask me to think about it too much or I’ll stumble but I can mostly feel the changes and get the right shapes.

24. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

My acoustic is still a drum with strings attached. It gets used that way, too.

25. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Muscle memory for sure.

US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.