Grateful Dead "Here Comes Sunshine 1973" 17 CD Box Set *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Olias of Sunhill, May 2, 2023.

1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

His usual miserable self?

US Blues likes this.
  2. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It's the GD in 1973. It's going to be good. I've had tapes of 5/26/73 and 6/10/73 for decades... if the other shows are anywhere in the ballpark of either of them, I don't need to listen to them first to know I want the official versions. And in my case, once a show has been officially announced, I don't need to listen to it on the Archive, I can wait because I have plenty of other things, Dead or otherwise, to listen to in the meantime, more than there are hours in the day... In some cases (looking at you, 5/2/70) I will occasionally listen on the Archive if the official release turns out to be inferior.

These days I mostly listen to official releases, but probably work in 2-3 randomly selected unofficial shows from Relisten a month, usually while walking, commuting or driving around doing errands. Going the random route results in roughly a 50/50 or so split of shows I've already heard and ones that are new to me. (Actually, I just looked at my last 20 shows on Spotify: 8 were shows that I had heard completely or at least had heard the second set of in the past, and 3 were ones where I'd heard part of the shows as cassette filler or whatever, so maybe a bit under 50% being familiar, from that relatively small sample size).

4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'd be incredibly pissed off if I bought the box, but then had to also buy a separate release just to have everything.

uzn007, Jackstraw78, Al Gator and 7 others like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Supposedly they listened to the '72 Wembley tapes on the boat to Denmark, which is why the Dark Star from 4/8 wound up being mixed by Garcia and Bob Matthews around the time of the Lyceum run and put onto the Glastonbury Fayre album.

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Lowell George used socket wrenches for slides, IIRC, and given that Weir seemed to take up slide in '78 (the year LG produced Shakedown Street), I wouldn't be that surprised if Bobby followed suit, at least initially. [Ugh. I see this all covered much better than I did. I will go to the penalty box and feel shame.]

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

In related news, this reminds me to commend you on your avatar of one of Sinatra’s finest albums, Come **** With Me!

:yikes:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    US Blues and JeffreyB like this.
  8. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

LOL !
    :hide:

Stone Turntable likes this.
  9. JerryBlue

JerryBlue Always Grateful

10. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Less than 1000 left ...

[​IMG]

uzn007, j4yheindeo, Alan57 and 10 others like this.
  11. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I wish they'd included pictures of the discs for scale, but I'm glad the box appears to be more space-efficient than some of the others. Very nice! It'll go great with the triple-digit temperatures.

12. It’s either the same size as Listen To The River -as the design looks identical - or it is to scale and the box is CD size.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

A tasteful Masaki Koike design.

It looks like we get individual pamphlets for each show rather than a booklet for the whole box? Interesting.

SteveFff, Dignan2000, Monroro and 2 others like this.
  14. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

What was the last slightly-bigger-than-a-CD box? Winterland June 1977?

uzn007, Matthew Tate and KCWhistle like this.
  15. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I'm guessing and hoping for CD size.

That's what it looks like to me, too. The Listen to the River booklet was awkward, so this is a welcome change as far as I'm concerned.

Does the little 89 RFK set count? How big was the Warlocks set? I think you're right, and that size is perfect.

16. Bodhi

Bodhi Forum Resident

I dunno, packaging is pretty underwhelming to me given the cost of this set (compared to say, Pac NW Box).

Don’t mind it being slim / space efficient but the price point seems a bit egregious now.

Will reserve full judgement until it arrives.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. notesofachord

The poster is going on the wall!

18. zephyr25

zephyr25 Forum Resident

Love the smaller size this time around. Looks like a sure quick sellout with only 1000 left!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I had originally thought it would be very similar to the Fox Box but in seeing the photo today, it appears to be about the size of the '73 and '77 Winterland boxes, but with a slipcase format. I'm glad we get digipaks as I've got a bunch of plastic CD sleeves ready and waiting.

20. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Man, I hate when they fold posters.

21. notesofachord

Fair enough, but it’s a mass produced item and compromises must be made.

The poster is likely available elsewhere unfolded (at a premium).

Remember the olden days when a poster came with a double live album? This is like that.

22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Oh, I get it, I just hate it.

23. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Decided to pull the trigger, just in case it sold out before release day. Code still works.

FYI for those Canadians who also get charged GST by customs, email WMG and demand a refund, since they charge it upfront as well. You can't tax an item twice.

24. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I was intending to get this one eventually, but that email with "less than 1000 left" got my a rse into gear and I put the order in. Let's go '73!

25. JamsOnly

JamsOnly Senior Member

Assume the vinyl box will look similar, I like it.

Matthew Tate likes this.