Grateful Dead "Here Comes Sunshine 1973" 17 CD Box Set *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Olias of Sunhill, May 2, 2023.

1. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Roanoke Park Indefinitely Forum Resident

Gonna be very busy splitting my time between both!! Is it Hot Ratsy?

2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Very.

3. Joseph Sipocz

Joseph Sipocz Forum Resident

I paid for downloads, but the links don't work. I sent an email to Dead.net. Maybe I'll have it Wednesday? This happened the last time I ordered the digital option for a box.

4. theoryboy

theoryboy Forum Resident

Indeed! That Other One (5/13/73) is fascinating and, as you say, unique. The section from 16:11-16:46 sounds like a carnival swirl juxtaposed with one of Handel's Concerti Grossi (GOGD style 'natch). And then that wild scrub (that *is* what you mean be a scrub, yes?).

Mine (#5537-much better ranking than my beloved St. Louis box) arrived yesterday, a day earlier than promised. I like the packaging other than, as others have mentioned, the opening that allows the booklets to fall on the floor. Yet another way for the Dead to frighten my poor dog. When I opened up the first concert, it looked like the very first disc was missing. I found it stuck in between the first two show containers. Quickly visually inspected all 17 discs (all others in their proper place) and there are myriad surface scuffs aplenty. I've only played the first show so far and am pleased to report that there's not a pop or click. And, as #bmoregnr noted, the sound (even on my barely adequate system) is just spectacular!

5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Just tried to order this on the Zappa site and it won't take my order. Screw it. :disgust:

Yes, the "scrub" starts at ~16:46 of TOO. Most folks use the term "fanning," but I find that too properly socially acceptable. My college roommate Jr and Sr years always had a pet mouse that he kept in a fish tank with wood shavings. It's amazing how rapidly mice scratch themselves, so I've long equated it to what Jerry and Bob often do during during meltdowns and especially in the better versions of Morning Dew. Fr'instance, the 2/24/74 (DaP 13) Dew has a distinct dual rat scrub starting at 12:47. Hence, I will always refer to that one as the dual rat-scrub Dew. The version I saw at SPAC on 6/18/83 had a full-band-rat-scrub at the end and I'll never know how they pulled that off.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
    WaterLemon, Bill_H, KCWhistle and 6 others like this.
  6. theoryboy

theoryboy Forum Resident

Wow--this Bird Song from 6/10/73 is stunning! I've always liked both the primitive, drum-centric introduction of the Feb/April '71 versions and the gorgeous guitar melody line introduced (I think) post-Europe (along with the key change). This version melds the two together! Is this the only version to do so? Or is it just that Billy appears so clearly in the mix here (once again, the sound--clarity, separation of instruments, levels--is simply fantastic).

7. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

The reviews are not over stated. This box is fantastic and likely best sounding CD's Dead.net have ever released.

Thx for the reminder on Funky Nothingness. I loved Hot Rats and forgot about this one. Just ordered on vinyl at amazon USA. Cheers.

8. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I’d be very disappointed and surprised if ‘74 doesn’t get a special box next year.Imagine if they just went with something else instead!’74 is the year I’ve been waiting for the most !
    I am really hoping tommorow will be the day the ‘73 box arrives on my doorstep.
    Already I am plotting to leave work early for a marathon listening session.Ha Ha!

9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

That would be a great way to spend pre-Fourth!

10. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

The thing about '74 is that the band played only 40 shows, and 29 of those have already been partially or fully released, leaving 11 untouched shows. Let's assume one of them is taken for a potential From the Mars Hotel 50th Anniversary, that leaves only 10 shows.

Will the powers that be use up half of the remaining shows for a box, or will they save them for DaP releases and stretch 1974 out further?

Of course, they could just release the full shows of those that have been partially released, and some will be happy.

11. steveharris

Maybe the out of print Dead Movie soundtrack could be improved in sound and content?I always thought 12/31/72 would be a cool bonus to add to the October’74 run even if the first half is not from multitracks and it really doesn’t belong with’74,but it would be an extra from the same venue to make the box even stronger.Then I always imagine silly things that people probably wouldn’t like.Maybe to rationalize getting shows I’d like sooner than later!

12. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I’d be happy to see the Complete Philly-Jersey City + Ally Pally, but maybe it’s finally time for the Complete Winterland October ‘74.

13. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

i too got a backorder notice for the RFK despite ordering it essentially within minutes of it being up for sale, I imagine (hope) its just a weird system glitch

Matthew Tate, Zafu and audiotom like this.
  14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

They should give us the full Europe ‘74 tour—minus the Dijon show that was released as part of the 30 Trips box; and even though highlights from Ally Pally were released as DP’s #7, they could upgrade the sound and release the full shows, as some tremendous moments were inexplicably left off that Pick.

Or, I’d settle for the full Winterland ‘74 run even though again, some highlights have already been released.

I can see one of the two unreleased May shows (Reno, 12/05 or Santa Barbara, 25/05) or Oakland (08/06) bundled with Mars Hotel 50th as those are close in terms of recording/release. Mars Hotel was recorded March/April and released in June ‘74. Not that that means anything, mind!

I’d imagine the other June/July shows that haven’t been released yet (The Omni, Springfield, Hollywood, Chicago, Roanoke) will be Dave’s Picks one day.

Really though, what do I know?! :nyah: Everything from this year should be released!

15. Complete Winterland ‘74 is so obvious there must be a reason it isn’t out already.I mean they have (or sadly likely more accurately had) multitracks of those shows.A few people in this thread posted some of the rumoured reasons those tapes no longer exist.I’d love to be proven wrong.
    BTW Over in the comments section at Dead.net there are also people posting about extensive quality control issues with the discs in Sunshine.
    They are either going to have to remanufacture discs for a replacement program or give out refunds.Don’t accept discounts on future purchases.

16. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I'm not sure what you mean as this is part of a box set. And a part of box sets have been released as an individual show before. The Branford Marsalis 3-29-90 show was released on its own from whichever Spring '90 box it was in. The store shows 3-9-81 is still available (part of the MSG box) along with 7-7-78 from that 5 show box.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

I think they meant that of all the standalone shows that have been released as part of box sets (like the ones you mentioned), that this is the first of those from a 1973 show.

Quincy, Matthew Tate and KCWhistle like this.
  18. landow

landow Forum Resident

Any chance more of these will show up as in stock on the site? I have had a crazy busy month and was just totally out of the loop on this selling so quickly. I have every CD box set they have released in the past decade so I’ll get this one way or another, but would obviously prefer not to get price gouged.

Matthew Tate and Doggiedogma like this.
  19. steveharris

:faint:Next thing they are going to start running out of FLACs.:mad:

20. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I have said this before in relation to the 'Get Shown the Light' box, but a basic requirement of any CD box set is that it should keep the CDs safe from damage in transit. The design of these boxes fails that test. At least PNW had proper digipaks for the CDs inside the elaborate package.

21. skipper1967

skipper1967 Forum Resident

I am in the same boat.

I just keep hitting the site and hoping.

22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Some early pre-orders appear to have been “lost”. Those who ordered more recently, especially on or near 6/30, don’t appear to have had problems with the downloads.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

PNW was the last box that had plastic cd holders, right? Maybe “no plastic” is some sort of design goal for these sets?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Spearca

Spearca Forum Resident

No packaging designed for the shelf really protects against severe shipping abuse. The only time I ever received a CD (not GD) with disabling scratches from shipping, the scratches were inflicted by a broken digipak hub.

In this and similar cases, I doubt the scuffs are coming from the paper packaging anyway. The scuffed discs haven't necessarily been the loose ones.

HJY1 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

OMG you’re right! I mean, there has to be a limited number of electrons available to transmit files over the tubes of the internet, right?