Grateful Dead “June 1976” box set is here!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I got a customs slip yesterday for £30.27 which I have paid and delivery is due tomorrow. Normally I go and get the stuff from the Delivery Sorting Office. From the tracking the box arrived in the UK on 2nd April from the USA. So no Europe hub it would appear for these Dead box sets.

2. Nodrog96

Nodrog96 Forum Resident

Arrived today in good condition. Haven't listened to it yet. Outside shipping box looks like an old steamer trunk covered in address labels and customs stickers.

3. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Great PITB from 6/10 with a wonderful transition into Dancing

Doing some listening to set 1 from 6/11 today

not much listening of any sort this week since Sunday due to heavy work and heavy stress with my wife. Glad to escape for a little drive late this A.M. to get more of a taste of this box set.

as most know I do almost all my listening in my car and I normally drive a lot so this a real treat today.

peace and blessings to all of my friends here:)

4. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Jam on Scarlet is sublime - almost seems like they are looking to transition into “something”

5. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Slacker!

6. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

...This might be one of the best box sets yet (not including E72, which is in its own universe). Each show is engaging and so damn sonically and musically consistent. Such a great mood.

7. DCTaff

DCTaff Forum Resident

These shows are really astounding the sound quality is amazing and some of the unusual combinations make each show so much fun to listen to
    It really is one of the best box sets

8. I have made my way through four shows and about to play the final one. Another great box and it came just in time to offer a couple of hours diversion each day. Nice design and all around just a great addition to the collection.

Crispy Rob, WaterLemon and US Blues like this.
  9. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

Right as rain, mate
    The lads from the golden west crack’d it with this box they done
    Brilliant!
    Nick’d the files and Off it went to a bird in Cornwall I done back in them days...she ain’t followed the dead lads since yonks I reckon
    Got a facetwat alert a fortnight ago ...ain’t seen Clodagh since the bloody Padstow public days.
    Bird could put the cider away but massively, my son, she bloody could I reckon
    Last I seen the gal, she was face down in a parking stall after a Gong gig in Newquay... she got on with the yahbos from the Stonehenge bloody caravan rabble...never my thing, really

10. scott0111

scott0111 Well-Known Member

anyone have any trouble with iTunes not finding the song names on the CDs when ripping? been at least a decade since I saw this message

anyway, grate box set except for this issue im having which is hopefully just an iTunes issue

11. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Have to agree (that it won't happen) unfortunately. But I still wonder what's holding them back. Even if whole shows don't exist in pristine form cobble something together of decent quality and sell it. Package the Royal Albert Hall 1/70 show up in a few different formats...Vinyl, CD Box etc. Even though was part of the DVD set why not make some $$ and give fans something. I'd buy it b/c is a legendary performance and would almost certainly be better resolution than my mp3 rip.

But, I always end up back in the same place....It won't happen! On the bright side, DaP 34 is just around the corner and i'm sure we're not too far off from hearing about this year's second box type offering.

jay.dee and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  12. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

May the force be with you if you receive any defective disks. Been waiting since November for a replacement for a bad disk I got with my Pacific Northwest box. And they still have the box in stock! I really want this ‘74 box but just feel like I would be a sucker if I bought it.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  13. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

The number of issues people have had with orders in the last year are one of the main reasons I haven't ordered this. The reviews have me interested but I don't have the energy to deal with a defective box and GDM/Rhino right now.

14. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I haven’t heard too many complaints about the QC on the new June ‘76 box and it is soooo good

US Blues likes this.
  15. Many people have reported damage to box, scratched discs and foreign orders are again requiring customs fees be paid by the recipient upon delivery.

16. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I've never received any kind of defective CD from the Dead.

17. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

i've had two missing shipments and a handful of defective discs. One Dick's Picks didn't arrive; a replacement was sent (and the original shipment showed up months later, obviously a post office problem). One Dave's Picks didn't arrive; an unnumbered replacement arrived after a few weeks (I don't care about the numbers so that was fine with me). A couple of my E72 box set discs were defective, and that took a couple of months to resolve, but they got here (that's still my favorite Dead release ever). But last year's horror stories are still fresh in my mind; not everybody with a subscription got the last 2019 Dave's Picks. It sounds like they've stepped up their game with this set.

18. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Why was there no single 3 CD show release from this box? Most of the others have one.

ODShowtime likes this.
  19. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

You walk into any NYC hospital for horror stories. They do not involve CDs!!!!

20. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I wonder if they think the 3CD comp for the last box (PNW) undermined sales of the box itself. Which in my case it did, it was plenty meaty by itself. (I did seek out the Portland '73 show to augment it, but those coins lined someone else's pocket.)

Speaking of which, I passed on this box but just broke down and ebayed 6/14 for a reasonable price. All the glowing comments here ~ and relistening to Dave's 18 and Cobo 10/03 to feel in solidarity ~ convinced me I wanted at least a taste. The 13-minute Slipknot, with a side of Crazy Fingers, sold me on that show. Already shipped, much looking forward....

Assuming it ascends to its praises, I may wax wistful I didn't put the money toward the whole box...but I know in my heart I don't need five more summer '76 shows. Glad it's such a hit and bringing people joy, though.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  21. Nightswimmer

That was not the last box, so I wondered for a moment what you are talking about. It also undermines your theory, I think.

22. anth67

Oh, right, the Buffalo. I don't think it undermines my theory, though. The smaller offering for that was a single complete show from the box. Not apples to apples. PNW was the last time they did a comp. But who knows?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  23. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

24. Nightswimmer

They did?

25. anth67

Ha! I don't wanna hear it...! Fillmore West, Winterland '73, Europe '72, both Spring 90s, 30 Trips, Summer '78, RFK '89, Get Shown the Light.... I've got plenty o' boxes. And will surely have another if this year's later one is primal Dead : )

(Depending on the state of our societal landscape at the time of announcement, of course.)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020