Grateful Dead “June 1976” box set is here!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Feb 13, 2020.

1. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Not the biggest fan of 1976, but I'm in.

Crispy Rob and MikeP5877 like this.
  2. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

So i take it this really kicks the 7/18/76 multi down the road for a while, huh?

Freebird likes this.
  3. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

Bloody LOVE '76 Grateful...the narcotic drip of the arrangements and Jerry's Jazz tone
    We got word that the lads were going to play London in '76...dispatched Taffy down to que up at the Roundhouse
    for stall tickets with nuthin' more than a couple tins of spotted dick and a growler of Old Peculiar we done...
    Taff stayed a fortnight with the lot before giving up the scheme...them was dark times for euro Dead punters I reckon.

Ray29, Crispy Rob, WaterLemon and 4 others like this.
  4. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Been kind of a Lazy Lightning/Supplication freak this past decade. Three crispy versions make this box hard to resist.

5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Probably yes.
    A summer '76 box with 7/18/76 as the standalone release would have been much better.

I don't get why they are holding back on the multitracks they have. It takes more time and money to get them out, which mean that they probably want to sell more copies right? But less and less people are buying CDs every year.
    The two track soundboards can be released at any time. Not much work needed.

6. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

I did the Dave's subscription this year so I'll probably pass on the box, though I'd welcome a redux version.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  7. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

If we're speculating I'd say that the late 2020 release will be more than just those two albums. Dave says something like “we moved this set earlier in this year so that it would get its moment”: well, the album re-releases just wouldn't be enough to steal focus from this set. My sense is that they moved this set early because they knew that if they put this set up against Product X then this set would underperform, so I think we should be budgeting for something special in the Autumn.

8. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I wouldn’t come into the world for another 6 months after theses shows! What to do...love the GSTL box, haven’t gone back to the PNW much.

Was really hoping for some April ‘70 sessions from the Fillmore West when Miles opened for them - a combined box for RSD? Timing couldn’t be better!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  9. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Something primal awakes?

anth67 likes this.
  10. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Re: 1976. I have posted in the past concerning my enthusiasm for 76 Dead. I have likened their new style upon their return to performance in intimate theatres as a kind of electric string quartet( or string trio with piano and percussion). What I meant was the individual purity of each instrument in the ensemble-they really listen to each other and interact in the moment in a very interdependent manner. The sound is very clean, detailed and nuanced with precise playing with some bursts of wonderful improvisation done in a sophisticated way. I don’t know if I have explained this clearly and I am not a musician.

11. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Excited for this box. As a Keith fan I have always liked 76 because he still has space to play as Mickey was just being integrated back into the band.

6/19/76 is one of my favorite shows for the year, so it's great that it is getting an official release. I have watched the video of this show on YouTube below multiple times:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2020
    Crispy Rob, mgb70, jpgarry1 and 6 others like this.
  12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’ve always found the very little there is in 75 more interesting than most of what we have from 76.

Don’t worry... I don’t really understand that myself. But I absolutely love those few 75 shows... and then the sound changed...

canadian73, ralphk, Lonson and 7 others like this.
  13. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I listened to a few selections from 6/15/76 and Road Trips 4.5 this morning, now even more excited for this release.

Keith is really strong throughout, Phil seems to be more interested in effects than any year prior and Jerry's tone just drips. Great stuff.

Crispy Rob, mgb70, laf848 and 3 others like this.
  14. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

I'm with you

15. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Resident

Do you like listening to the band @ half speed? Aside from the ‘76 show @ the Cow Palace show it’s been quite a while since I listed anything from that year. Can’t recall off the top of my head the general tempos of specific shows in that soon-to-be released 1976 box set, but there were definitely some painfully slow ones that year.

On the plus side, most of the recordings Betty made during ‘76 have terrific sonics and are, imo, among the best-sounding ones she made during her stint w/ the band.

16. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I'm thinking that the 50th anniversary editions are what DL was talking about "big things coming later this year" in the Seaside Chat video for June 76.

17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

If they're smart, they'll roll out multiple versions of each 50th Anniversary album, the way the Beatles have been doing. I.e., a basic 2-disc version like the ones they've released for earlier albums, plus a "Deluxe" edition (3 or 4 discs) with DVD and/or Blu-Ray content.

18. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

My guess is we'll get stand alone releases of each that include a handful of live tracks like previous 50th releases in addition to a Mini Box that include both of the aforementioned plus 1 or 2 complete shows from the era that showcase WMD/AB songs. Would be great to get a vinyl release of some live stuff too. Who knows though.

malfano and uzn007 like this.
  19. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

I never knew! Road trips is something I never really paid attention too. That's one of my favorite 1976 shows though!

Freebird likes this.
  20. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

I'm willing to bet that selections from either Fillmore West run in April or June will be part of the Workingman's Dead 50th anniversary edition...

21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

My ‘76 dilemma is a slight deficit of enthusiasm for the somewhat unadventurous set lists, apart from the fleeting appearance of the gorgeous and rare “Mission in the Rain.”

“Dark Star” and “China/Rider” dropped, too early for “Terrapin” and “Scarlet/Fire,” a bit of a jukebox, non-intergalactic band approach. On the other hand, the Dead in a focused, mellow, relaxed — maybe a little too relaxed? — mode...

Taylor16 and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. uzn007

You're not required to buy this boxset. :D

Not to threadcrap, but I've always found this period to be a little underwhelming. Personally, I wouldn't buy a 15-box set of anything unless I was really psyched to listen to it. I try to make it a point these days not to buy any music because I feel like I "should". They're definitely focused, mellow and relaxed but they're just not that (IMO) exciting. Others feel otherwise, obviously, but I don't think they really started cooking until September or October of 1976.

Obviously my opinion is a minority one around here, and I certainly wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from buying this set if they're excited about it (as many people obviously are).

Bananas&blow, RubenH, docwebb and 4 others like this.
  23. uzn007

It would be nice if we could get some live material from the September Fillmore east shows, e.g. the version of "Box of Rain" that actually sounds like the album, etc.

Grateful Griller likes this.
  24. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

They better release the 10/70 Winterland multis with the 50th anniversary editions

ralphk, Crispy Rob, Zafu and 2 others like this.
  25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Indeed many of the shows in '76 had languid tempos, but no more so than in '73, IMO. If you have DaP 18 (7/17/76), give disc 2 a listen. Pure gold (let's make it pure rhodium). That said, I'm probably out on this box. I'm hoardin' me coppers for the inevitable '72 Fox Box that hopefully comes out before I'm pushing up daisies.

Ray29, ronbow, Doggiedogma and 8 others like this.