Grateful Dead Lyceum ‘72 Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spaulding, Apr 7, 2022.

1. I-OD

I-OD Forum Resident

After reading all the great comments about how the set sounded I ordered it last week and it arrived here in Sweden this morning.

Not only do I have 1 more week of vacation to enjoy and now this… The packaging, the details on the box set, the quality of the vinyl, incredible! After listening to at least 7 sides from different shows I can confirm that this is the best I’ve ever heard the Greatful Dead, what an experience!

I have five of the other box sets released these last 10 years and they are amazing, love them dearly. But what they’ve done here is at least for me unprecedented on a vinyl release of this size, mind blown.

I put some pictures up on the Reddit: r/gratefuldead if anyone wants a closer look ( I can’t remember how to add pictures on the SH forum), probably nothing you haven’t already seen but it might still wet your appetite if your on the fence of getting it or not.

2. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Making my way through 5/24. Side 7 (Other One) needle went right through the runout to the label. Was listening through headphones and about jumped out of my chair. Anyone ever had that happen (on any album)? I have not and not sure what causes other than some sort of pressing issue. Maybe they can replace that disc.

Edit - Flip side was fine. Tested side 7 again and run out groove stopped it from hitting label. Must have jumped it somehow. Never seen that before.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Zafu likes this.
  3. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Could of been something on the needle that made it do that.

Grateful Griller likes this.
  4. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

To make a long long long story short: This box set is benchmark setting.

Swansong, Jason_Rhino, mgb70 and 3 others like this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Did the download thing ever get sorted? The files presumably would be of higher than cd quality.

6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Still waiting to be sorted

Flaming Torch likes this.
  7. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Like if you had two of them and a board you could make a bench?

8. Jimmy Cooper

;)

I mean, in comparison to other praised releases by the Grateful Dead this is the next level. Very well manufactured, very well sounding, very nice and significant presentation, cool details.

9. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Now if they'd just release 3/2/69.

10. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

For those that ordered the Lyceum box, did you get a shipping notice from dead.net or was it a “surprise and delight” moment and it just showed up? In the US, is it shipped UPS?

Zafu likes this.
  11. Jimmy Cooper

Surprised and delight. To Germany it was shipped by UPS and I had to pay the taxes directly cash to the UPS postman.

12. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Total surprise.

Sign up for My UPS and you should be able to see which UPS packages are on their way. Look for a 22lb package from WEA and that’s likely it. Saw it there a few days before it was delivered and got a shipping notification the afternoon it showed up.

YouCantWin and ODShowtime like this.
  13. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Not sure about Veneta. I find the Blu Ray to be better than the vinyl. Of course the Blu Ray isn't the entire show but what is there I like better soundwise than the vinyl for the tracks that overlap.

Zafu likes this.
  14. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I have the vinyl but I wish I had the Blu-ray instead of just the DVD.

Gdgray likes this.
  15. jshaide

jshaide Forum Resident

Been listening---was there someone else who had an issue with Side 5 of the first show? Cause that one is being a little weird for me and that sounded familiar. . .

16. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi Thread Starter

Finished up all 24 lps - and like others - fanfu**ingtastic!
    Some slight noise on a couple of records from the last night. But overall - and considering the size here - this is a huge hit. Out of the park.
    Oh - and the music's not bad.

Now I want that new early 80's MSG 17 CD set released on vinyl.
    Please and thank you.

Swansong, RyeB, Zafu and 2 others like this.
  17. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

For those who either cannot afford or do not want to invest the big bucks for the whole Lyceum box... check out Europe '72. Just got mine a couple weeks ago from AP. Very nice.

Swansong and Zafu like this.
  18. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

The recent reissue of Europe ‘72?

19. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Yup....

Zafu likes this.
  20. I would certainly hope that anyone considering a $500+ box set of 4 full Europe ‘72 shows already has the original album

Swansong and Coltrane811 like this.
  21. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Wait, what’s “Europe ‘72”?

22. Lotr7

Lotr7 Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see no vinyl release for this, but I'm guessing we have another Europe 72 surprise upcoming... that said, I know I will end buying MSG set because those shows are too incredible! Also need Listen to the river

23. haroldm

haroldm Forum Resident

I just received my box set via UPS. Despite my indicating (with the UPS app) that I did not authorize the package to be left without a signature the driver disregarded those instructions and left it sitting on my porch in the sun. When I contacted UPS customer service I was told that since the shipper did not indicate a signature was required the driver had the authority to release the package regardless. I was home but the driver couldn’t be bothered even ringing my doorbell. Also, the first record in my box was badly scratched. I strongly recommend inspecting every record immediately. I requested a replacement for it, hope that goes smoothly and they don’t ask for the whole item to be shipped back. That would just be stupid.

Gratefully Deadicated and Zafu like this.
  24. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I have a few other Dead vinyl box releases, but none have hit me viscerally like this one. The music and sound is top notch!

25. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I made a longer post on the Grateful Dead thread, but for posterity, wanted to post this amazing picture here on this day of remembrance.

Jerome John Garcia (August 1, 1942 – August 9, 1995)
    [​IMG]