Grateful Dead Lyceum ‘72 Vinyl Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spaulding, Apr 7, 2022.

1. btlsooner

btlsooner Well-Known Member

If I see a dead live show for sale, I buy it.

2. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

I see it called all analogue AND Plangent processed.

Not that it’s a bad thing but the Plangent process is a digital step , correct?

Gratefully Deadicated and Mazzy like this.
  3. trd

trd Forum Resident

Correct, plangent is digital.

Gratefully Deadicated and Zafu like this.
  4. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

This is far too rich for my blood so I have no dog in the fight, but like you said, these are different formats. Not just that, but there are different manufacturing concerns for vinyl and CD. The value proposition here isn't the Lyceum vinyl set vs. the Europe '72 Complete CD set, especially since the latter is long out of print and fetches $800-$1800 used depending on the version and condition.

The value proposition is for the Lyceum vinyl set as its own product. If it's purely about just hearing the music, then the best value proposition of all is $9.99 to stream all the shows on the streaming service of your choice.

Gratefully Deadicated and trd like this.
  5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’ve been listening to the 5/26 show on Tidal today and it’s quite the performance. I might spring for that 4 CD set.

The thing is, I passed on the 72 CD trunk since I’d already owned 13 CD’s worth of material from the EU72 shows, and I’m not enough of a completist to allocate the shelf space for 24 LP’s, especially if GD Inc keeps the shows up for streaming.

6. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

7. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

The original album remaster on black vinyl is 3 LPs for $70, or about $23 per disc. The 24 LP Lyceum set is $550, about $22 per disc, so if you look at it that way, you're actually saving money by going for the Lyceum set!

8. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

That’s what I’m going to tell anybody who questions me about it. I couldn’t afford not to buy it.

9. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

I'm definitely interested. I am concerned about the pressing of 24 discs in a single set. Most of the Dead releases I've picked up in last 2 years or so had pressing defects. Thankfully, those were purchased on Amazon, where returns were a breeze. Does anybody have any experience with returning defective vinyl to this Dead site?

10. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Wind, birds and fish.

11. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

At least they also offered a couple individual vinyl shows for rsd and the standalone cd show.There are Plenty of new fans and people missed it the first time around.In no time something new always comes along.I actually passed on a couple things to be ready in case a show I really was waiting for is announced to come out.
    Yes I enjoyed the other’72 vinyl so much I could not resist ordering this Lyceum box.

Gratefully Deadicated, Zafu and trd like this.
  12. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

My question as well

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  13. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

You are posting on a forum where people can't wait to cough up $125 for a UHQR 33 rpm record that they already own 30 other copies of, myself included.

The Lyceum '72 lp set ain't a bad deal considering...Just sayin'

14. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

What level of Deadhead does one need to be to require this show? Like some, I prefer live Dead on CD but have Europe ‘72 vol 1 &2 on vinyl along with the Paris RSD show. I’ve also got the England ‘72 Stepping Out on CD and am hoping to score the Wembley set in a couple of weeks.

15. Wonder if the Lyceum 4 CD set will be up on Amazon (like the Europe 72 anniversary remaster is now) for preorder, or is it strictly dead.net/ Warner store?

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  16. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I thought that this would be an easy pass earlier today when I found out just because of the cost, but now I’m reconsidering. I have an income tax rebate coming and some holiday money I didn’t spend from last year, so I’m starting to think more seriously, but…. That’s a big chunk of money and I keep telling myself that I need to cut back. The Dead have been putting out a lot of great vinyls sets the past few years and I love their RSD releases. I don’t know though, I can technically afford it, just seems too extravagant especially considering I’m hoping to get the London RSD show next weekend.

Gratefully Deadicated and Zafu like this.
  17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Actually, it's the better way to do things. Let's say your credit card expires between your order date and shipping date or perhaps you change addresses. Meanwhile, the item sells out, and once the release date arrives, they've got invalid CC info for you and guess who loses? Hint: it's not them.

18. texron

texron Rory On

Love your reasoning. Made complete sense so.., I’m officially getting divorced.

MonkeyLizard, I-OD, gdpeck and 8 others like this.
  19. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Just make sure you finalize it before July 29th.

20. trd

trd Forum Resident

Or she gets 12 LPs

MonkeyLizard, I-OD, supermd and 9 others like this.
  21. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Wife takes the whole set except the songs with Donna's wailing.

I-OD, Zafu, Shvartze Shabbos and 2 others like this.
  22. mbennet

mbennet Forum Resident

Anyone know if they plan to issue all four Lyceum shows on CD?

23. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

If they follow the same pattern as previously it looks like only the one show on cd.
    Of course The Dead universe has never conformed or restricted to conventional marketing physics.:laugh: Luckily for us fans!

24. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

But Playing in the Band is the best song.

25. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Extreme Level, even if you like the show.

riverrat likes this.