Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

The lack of professionalism is quite disgusting.

There are two sources with variations in the mix, for some of these shows, right? In one source Bob might be left but in the other source he might be centre. Maybe the different sources have different drum panning.

I agree that there can be something awkward about the stereo spectrum with the drums. One gets the sense of "I'm sure that wasn't over there just a moment ago."

Mad Dog, trd, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  2. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Friend of mine ordered the Boxset this weekend with the 15% off sale. ($152)...he got a shipping notice today.

3. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Can they do that?
    :winkgrin:

4. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Only on days ending in a 'y'.

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

These people were full time professionals.

budwhite, ronbow and trd like this.
  6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well, I dunno about such things. And I'm not so much griping as curious as to why these odd cuts/patches are needed (and why an earlier hi-hat fragment from the same general section of Dark Star couldn't have been used to sound more consistent - or maybe there's some level of track bleed or something that caused them to do what they did. Or maybe they're just messing with us). But then again, I don't take master reels and make releases out of them for a living or even a curiosity.

Six Bachelors, trd and jpgarry1 like this.
  7. Six Bachelors

Is it possible that they have patched the preferred source with snippets from the secondary source due to gaps in the primary source?

Meanwhile, it turns out that my Vancouver '73 disc 1 has an issue - Jack Straw only plays until about halfway and won't rip beyond half-way either. Rhino is really cutting corners with the CD manufacturing. Guess I have to email Dr Rhino again...

Matthew Tate and Archtop like this.
  8. Archtop

That sounds like what they are doing. This leads me to think that the problem must be some sort of tape degradation. It's the only logical explanation for why 2 seconds of hi-hat would be missing in a few spots. Why they chose to fill those with ride cymbal rather than with existing hi-hat from a similar time-stamp is a mystery. Of course, it could be something far more technical involving track bleed or whatever. It's very noticeable in headphones but much less so in the open air.

Six Bachelors and bzfgt like this.
  9. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

These were not recorded on multi tracks so they didn't have isolated tracks of just Billy's drum kit to do any patches. They are all 2-track.

10. Archtop

OK, that makes sense. If you have a minute or two and are inclined to do so, listen to the 6/24/73 Dark Star from ~7:20-7:50 (in headphones if possible). At 7:30 and 7:41 you can hear the artifact I'm speaking of (transition from hit-hat to ride cymbal and a switch from left channel to right). Any thoughts on what's going on there? I find it difficult to believe that this reflects just what Billy was actually doing.

Six Bachelors, Matthew Tate and bzfgt like this.
  11. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I'll see if I can give it a listen when I get home tonight. But,I would think if it is a patch you would hear all instruments moving around, not just Billy. Another possibility is someone bumping and then fixing the mixer on the drums when it was recorded back in 1973.

Archtop, Six Bachelors and US Blues like this.
  12. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Ok I gave it few listens and it sounds like one of Billy's microphones momentarily cuts out and the move to the right channel is just leakage/bleed through while the primary mike is out.

Of course it could just be some spurious electrical activity!

budwhite, Archtop, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  13. Archtop

Thanks - when I first read your mic bleed description, I thought: "That's exactly what it sounds like." But then I listened to both spots again. At 7:30, Billy is also doing a snare rim slap, so I don't see how he could be doing that along with hitting the hi-hat and riding the ride cymbal. At 7:41, he's not doing the snare rim slap, so your hypothesis would seem to fit one occurrence but not both. So, spurious electrical activity is still in play...

US Blues likes this.
  14. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Thank you. I remember going through all the versions of this show on the archive and that really bothered me as Bird Song is one of my favorites. I remember that being the reason I couldn't put it in the higher tier of Dead shows as it seems to be regarded. Probably petty I know in the grand scheme of a whole show.

15. Six Bachelors

At least that's another vote in favour of "I may not be crazy hearing the distortion"!

16. Six Bachelors

OK...so, to all of you who think there isn't distortion on the Vancouver show...there is. It's not just on the official release; it's on the various Archive versions of the SBD. Really quite nasty distortion - almost digital-sounding - is present in the non-Jerry channel (I say that because several Archive versions have the channels flipped compared with the official release). The first five minutes of Bird Song exhibits it prominently - for example, try around 4:30. It's bad. I'm surprised this made it to official release, although I'm glad it did.

In other words, my AKGs survive.

footlooseman, Mad Dog, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  17. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

Yeah, I reported no distortion, but that was at normal volume via room speakers. I went back and listened via headphones and can hear it.

Six Bachelors and bzfgt like this.
  18. BPrice

BPrice Senior Member

I haven't heard the section, but hi hat typically has a foot pedal, so it's possible to be playing snare, hats, and ride simultaneously.

19. Archtop

He's striking the hi-hat.

US Blues and BPrice like this.
  20. BPrice

BPrice Senior Member

Ah, gotcha. I'll check out the section in question. Thanks!

Archtop likes this.
  21. Archtop

No worries; pointing out random esoterica that ultimately affects no one is a specialty of mine. :nyah:

trd, US Blues, garymc and 3 others like this.
  22. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I am holding out hope they change their mind about how healthy bacon is, like they do with everything else....otherwise I'm probably doomed, I don't have your restraint with the stuff

budwhite, US Blues and Archtop like this.
  23. Archtop

As I see it, the real issue with bacon isn't the fat content, it's the curing. This typically involves sodium nitrite which can form nitroso compounds in vivo, leading to free-radical attack on DNA. We buy only uncured bacon, typically applewood smoked. Too much fat is bad if you consume a large amount of carbs, whether one is trying to lose weight or not. That said, I put bacon in my mashed potatoes today because that's how I roll.

24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Come to SHF for the music discussion, stay for tips on healthy eating.

25. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I finally made it out to Tofino and popped into the RHV gallery. They had a copy of the box displayed, as well as a larger print of the cover art for sale. I couldn't afford that but I bought another modestly priced print. I love his style, and all WC Haidi Gwaii art.

Tofino is beautiful indeed. We stayed at the Green Point campground right on the ocean. It was very quiet, even though it was full.

I played the 3 disc comp on the way to Nanaimo today. Listening to PNW in the PNW seems right. Travelling to Victoria tomorrow. If I spot Dave I'll say hello (from 2m away).