Grateful Dead Workingman's Dead 50th Anniversary deluxe?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Country Rocker, Mar 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

That is probably what should've been the reissue. Although I'm not really interested in hearing studio takes without vocals, honestly.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m going nowhere near that website. I’d rather just listen to the hi res on Amazon

supermd, rlp and Blue Note like this.
  3. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

A crackin' record this was, mate...not everyone was thrilled back in yonks...Dabney a bloody dyed in the wool "Oxomoxao/Live Dead" bloke..lad said
    he prefered his Dead with "Feedback and a Lysergic Drip" he done...he never much fancied bloody folk music...was worried Garcia n' the west coast lot
    was puttin' out music for bloody Knightsbridge tossers he was, lads...same with Simon...he never got on with the whole folk scene...used to drink with Ewan MacColl
    at the Arms in Sussex, but that was before yer man ran off with Annie Briggs AND Simons dosh...nevermind bringin' up bleedin Skiffle...you'd get in a
    proper punch-up if ya even mentioned them yahbos Chas McDevitt n' the Lads....them was fightin' words in most Derry publics back then, mate.
    This all change when the Cornwall lads hitched up ta Newcastle for Hollywood fest in '70...The Good Ole Dead lads brought the bloody goods THAT
    day, my son...Peppercock had backstage passes from some bird he was shaggin' in the Traffic crowd...we quickly sorted out where the dentist tanks and cask
    condition kegs was and got set for the Dead lads...Dabney spiked the bloody catering tent sparing NO ONE, lads...Foookin hell I swear on me mam Garcia
    turned into a bloody wobblin' hairy jelly mash pie during "China Cat Sunflower" he done..we reckoned the Sandoz HAD spoken to the lads....it was allright!...
    The only situation was when Taffy stepped on Ginger bloody Bakers boot in the mens...THAT c**t WAS spoken to by Uncle Alberts finest...we added a few
    extra drops to that twats ale...din't seem to faze Ginger much...them was the days, lad...them was the DAYS indeed!

4. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

FYI, I got tons of virus alerts and pop ups on my Windows PC but on my Android tablet the download went smoothly. If my $70 tablet gets infected I don't really care but it has been an hour and i see no issues. YMMV

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That looks like a pretty sketchy site with lots of officially released material for download. Be careful!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I'm mostly digging the talking in between takes more than the music itself but there is some cool music. Just got to the the 5:52 take "52. Easy Wind (Complete Track With Vocals 2) (Not Slated)" and that's really cool. And the New Speedway Boogie tracks as well.

Stone Turntable, adamos and anth67 like this.
  7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The "New Speedway Boogie" stuff is awesome! What an unexpected treat.

8. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

It's there, but not in the torrents.

9. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

:laughup:

10. I’ve checked the link with several virus detection sites, all show fine.

VirusTotal

Rne likes this.
  11. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Angel's share is pretty cool, but where oh where are takes of Mason's Children? Wasn't this slated for the original album? Would have been a no-brainer to include on this release.

12. whoever this is

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Good observation.

Six Bachelors and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. YMMV but let us know if you start seeing pop-ups ostensibly selling virus protection software.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

My frustration with the Workingman's Dead 50th anniversary release is that they spent most of their time and effort on creating products that they could put in the shop (WMD Axe anyone?) and the music release seems like an afterthought.

I'm grateful they released the outtakes - albeit streaming only - but it all seems fairly dysfunctional.

16. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

The files are FLAC, you need to decode them to end up with WAV (PC) or AIFF (Mac).
    Mac XLD: XLD
    PC Trader's Little Helper: Trader's Little Helper

17. Thank you. I did indeed find a way to get this accomplished in lossless format. Used Toast Titanium (mac) went from FLAC converted to AIFF Files and burned to CD 44.1 (24 bit) :righton:

18. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I have the same pressing and it sounds excellent.

I did purchase the 5oth for a new clean one though. Got the Barnes and Noble edition coming since I missed the website one.

Gray Beard likes this.
  19. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Perversely, I will be less frustrated with the decision to include the Capitol Theatre show if we get another from the same run on the American Beauty set - at least that would be more appropriate in terms of the period and it would mean we have half the run (plus a little bit) official released.

Still...these are studio albums, not live albums, so I think they really should be celebrating the album and including outtakes, rough mixes and single edits.

I don't believe they only found these tapes after compiling the 50th. None of the 50ths so far have contained unreleased studio stuff and we know there is plenty at least for Aoxomoxoa.
    The 50ths have been quite lazy:
    - debut - no mono mix
    Anthem - no single mixes of Dark Star and BCE (and I know they have been released before but this was the place for them to come out again, in one spot), but releasing the remix was worthwhile
    Aoxomoxoa - no 8-track stuff, no Barbed Wire Whipping Party, releasing the remix was less interesting because it came out in 2001-ish but I would have been annoyed if they hadn't don eit
    Live/Dead - they didn't do it at all so the original mix remains out of print, which is a travesty

20. connorjake

connorjake Forum Resident

I've got the same version, only difference, right at bottom of back cover, below track listing, mine reads, "Printed In England by West Brothers Printers Limited", which makes sense because I bought it here at that time, (late 1970), so think it must be an original, early copy. It also has the orange WB label on the actual record, by the time "American Beauty" was released, that had been changed to the green logo.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Some of those tapes were missing. At least I remember the 8-track "St. Stephen" (the one with the phone ringing) was not in the vault at the time the Golden Road box set was put together.

trd and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

No problem with the dl. I did not pay for the faster speed as I didn't want to give them cc info. I scanned the zip file before extracting. All good.

JuanTCB and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i somewhat agree although not the live/dead because they stated studio albums. have any of the original mixes appeared on anything in the last 20 years or so? they have release compilations with tracks from that album

24. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

If they had included one or two CDs worth of highlights from the sessions as a bonus with the reissue, this would have been a no-brainer for me. Hard to understand why they didn't delay the project. Another possibility would be to include material from these sessions on a second pressing of the reissue, replacing the '71 show. I mean, it's all mixed, mastered, and ready for release...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.