Great Laserdisc (physical media) concerts that never made it to DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GiorgioV, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Isn't that as close to quad as is possible on LD?

By the way, that looks like a fun show

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Apparently a Fosgate Tate II 101A SQ decoder would work from the analog outputs.

It's been a while since I watched it, but I enjoyed it.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  3. DreadPikathulhu

Godzilla Fantasy/Legend of Godzilla. A symphony plays Godzilla scores while the film is projected in the background.

I don't actually own this one (but I wish I did!), but I rented it last week from probably the only store in the US still renting Laserdiscs.

[​IMG]

There is also this one:

[​IMG]

4. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Interesting! I don't remember hearing of a LD with quad audio before. There must be more.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Store Info | Scarecrow

Scarecrow Seattle still rents LD discs and LD players.

jlocke08 likes this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

Yes, that’s where I got it from. They’ve still got about 200 discs.

A huge change from the two rooms full they had when I first started going there in 1997.

jlocke08 and Hymie the Robot like this.
  7. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

DAVID BOWIE - Serious Moonlight (1984)

Simon A and mdm08033 like this.
  8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

$4 a day to rent any format machine, wow!

9. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Has there ever been an official DVD release of the Olivia Newton John 'Olivia' Laserdisc or VHS? I have a DVD but it is definitely a boot of the VHS. Good quality...but not great quality

10. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

ok a question for the knowledgable here, I have and love this VHS of Matchbox 20 Live in Australia. Was this ever available on LaserDisc? It was never reissued on DVD, BD or other format that I am aware of and am looking for the best version and obviously VHS is cr@p.

11. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder where do they get spare parts nowadays, to keep that business going.

12. DreadPikathulhu

They don't have that many and the titles are all rare or obscure ones that never made it to DVD; the Criterion LDs that were never re-released, some box sets with rarer films (Judy Garland), all of the animation box sets from Warner Bros., some individual animation titles, a handful of Japanese and Hong Kong titles, and several concert LDs (Hendrix in Maui, some Madonna, and a Prince title are what I remember).

Simon A and GiorgioV like this.
  13. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Probably not. It's not on LDDB.com, which while not exhaustive, is a pretty good indication.

Plus, that VHS was issued in 1999. Assuming it would have been released in a similar time frame, that is pretty late in the game for new laserdiscs.

reverberationmusic and jeffreybh like this.
  14. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Ok Thanks for the info!

15. If memory serbes me well, there's a Eurythmics Show from an Australian Tour which has never made it to DVD or BD.

It was broadcast on TV here in the UK back in the day (1987 ??)

Best Wishes,
    David

16. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Concerts and music-related releases were a nice niche of the format since they usually had a nice PCM soundtrack whereas the dvd often did not or the release wasn't available on dvd at all. An example is the Return of Spinal Tap which has a nice soundtrack on LD whereas a rather poor one on dvd. It's a shame that players in good shape and parts aren't as easy to come by today. Two out of my three players no longer work and the one that does appears to be out of alignment.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  17. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

As I mentioned recently in a different thread that I just purchased and converted a USA only VHS of The Who's Tommy Broadway stage show released in 1993, but was just wandering if it ever made to LD?

18. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Pretty sure I have it...I haven't thought about it in a very long time. I do like it!

THIS

19. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  20. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Quadboy likes this.
  21. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Thanks ……………. all I need now is a player …………….jokin'.
    As that LD is a Disney disc and the VHS tape has a copyright protection on it, I was just wondering if LD's sometimes came with similar copying/ripping protection?

22. GiorgioV

adriatikfan likes this.
  23. DreadPikathulhu

Macrovision. I think some LDs have it. It can be removed with a filter on the video signal.

24. Many thanks for pointing that out - now to try to track it down.

Is it a legitimate release. The Amazon details list the label as 'IMPORTS', but that could just be laziness o the part of whoever compiled the info.

Whta label is yours released by?

On Amazon UK it appears to be a CD only with 13 tracks (at a ridiculous price), although the accompanying reviews are for the DVD.

Again, many thanks.
    David

25. GiorgioV

You're welcome. For the DVD/CD combo you have to look for this ASIN on Amazon: B005AW9TUK. That is the one I purchased, at the time (just about three years ago) I paid a little under 10 Euro. It would appear to be a legitimate release, from South America. The pictures on Amazon are very detailed, you can see the label and everything else. Now its price is absurd, but it's quite a nice release indeed.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    adriatikfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.