Great Live Performers Who Have No Outstanding Live Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Umbari, Oct 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member Thread Starter

It can be a band or a solo artist.

Eric Clapton comes to mind, by the way. As much as I love him as a musician, I don't think he has any outstanding live album. That includes Cream!

Derek and the Dominos' In Concert sounds pretty cool, but not cool enough to be put in the same sentence with Allman Brothers Band's At Fillmore East or Grateful Dead's Live/Dead, to name a few.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    BrentB, Nike and mattright like this.
  2. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

I keep hearing how great Buffalo Springfield were live, but unfortunately no good recording seems to exist (of the original 60s version).

3. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

I don't think The Police did a live album, but would they ever have been considered as 'Great Live Performers?'.. I never saw them.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

With Clapton, personally I think Just One Night is a fantastic live album.... for me it is probably the peak of his solo career.

savemenow, Bill Mac, TonyACT and 17 others like this.
  5. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

AFAIK , Gerry Rafferty never had a live album, was he great live? anyone ever see him in concert?

longdist01 and phillyal1 like this.
  6. mark winstanley

I never saw Black Sabbath live, but they were considered a great live band by many.
    The original line up of the band never had a proper live album, with Live At Last being essentially a decent quality bootleg of sorts.

BrentB, Rufus rag, wrat and 4 others like this.
  7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

The original lineup reunited and tecorded a live album called Reunion. It’s good.

supernaut, Rufus rag, Steve62 and 3 others like this.
  8. Radiohead

Frank Field, JohnJ, ponkine and 7 others like this.
  9. mark winstanley

I was meaning more in their prime years.
    Live Evil is pretty good too, but obviously not the original line up.

10. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Van Halen with DLR.

11. HalloweenJack95

HalloweenJack95 Forum Resident

So far Radiohead.

12. BricksNBeatles

BricksNBeatles The driver of an underground train

Squeeze is one of the tightest live bands I’ve seen, and they sell CDs or downloads of that night’s show after most of their concerts, but as far as I’m aware they’ve never actually put out a true live album.

St. Vincent is a friggin incredible performer, but no live album yet aside from a live DVD from the deluxe version of Strange Mercy— wouldn’t be shocked if we get one from the current “Daddy’s Home” tour though.

13. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Yo La Tengo

KDubATX, Frank Field, Quincy and 11 others like this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Survivor

gitters likes this.
  15. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

The record collector in me would love a series of Radiohead live albums. They do have a good amount of professionally recorded, high quality full shows on their YouTube page, though. So I can stream a lot of live Radiohead whenever I want. Including my favorite show of theirs (Bonnaroo 06). I like the YouTube release model because I can sit and watch the show if I want to, or I can just let the audio stream while I work or drive.

16. mike sullivan

mike sullivan Blues Boy

I am not particularly a big fan of Bon Jovi, although i did see them in the UK in 1985 when they were on the bill at The Donington Monsters of Rock Festival, and they were excellent on that day..Can't recall them putting out an 'Outstanding Live Album.'

Devon Boy and Rufus rag like this.
  17. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

They did release one in the early 90's after the band had split up. I like it!

18. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

'A Round And A Bout' was their official live album in 1990: A Round and a Bout - Wikipedia

19. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Prince released a live video from 1985, but never seemed interested in releasing live albums.

20. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Alice Cooper, though the bonus disc that came with the CD issue of Billion Dollar Babies would suffice. They didn't release any live albums from the 69-74 era, and Alice Cooper Live from the solo era isn't very good.

21. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

The Clash comes to mind. From Here To Eternity is fine, but but being a patchwork of performances from throughout their career, I don't think it captures the intensity of a seeing a hot band on a great night. I don't have the Shea release, but I was there at one of the shows and I wouldn't say a huge stadium is the optimal Clash venue. I gotta get the CD, though. Love the band.

22. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

I like George Michaels's Killer/Papa Was A Rolling Stone medley that was on Five Live. I also like his take on the Queen songs. He never released a true live album, which I bet would be great.

23. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Elvis Costello & the Attractions.

rikki nadir, veloso2, csnfan and 2 others like this.
  24. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

Any fan of Radiohead knows there is no real need for a live album (I Might be Wrong is still amazing!), there are a hundred of existing soundboard bootlegs from all eras, some of which were actually meant to be released, per example 2006 Bonnaroo desk mix, 1997 Hammerstein ballroom, 2000 Berlin mixed by Godrich, etc...

Heck just go here and enjoy! : Radiohead Public Library

TonyACT, CassetteDek, mjb and 7 others like this.
  25. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Concert: The Cure Live is too short to do justice to the fantastic live band that was The Cure in their early (and best imo) years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.