Great photos of musicians with hi-fi gear

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by William Bryant, Mar 19, 2020.

1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Lulu, Davy Jones, and Ringo Starr hanging out and spinning discs...

[​IMG]

2. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Yep, it's there. I can see that Spirit album! :evil: :hide:

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

That is totally contrary to the raison d'etre of SH Forums. We all like music here and 99% can appreciate the difference between a good system and a bad one. A really good system can approach live sound, and the better it sounds, the better your LPs and CDs sound, which is how most people can experience sound. Your whole premise is false and disheartening to read IMHO, but keep listening to that Crosley and buying tickets for live shows. Maybe save up for the hearing aids that will be needed after listening to many years of loud, badly amplified sound.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

JBL Paragon - big $$ then, huge $$ now.

5. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident Thread Starter

I calls it like I sees it. I have worked around musicians all my life and the great majority of them are completely indifferent to the things that make us hifi enthusiasts tick. To be fair, a few are like me and appreciate the differences. But among musicians we are the exception, definitely not the rule.

6. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Yes, .....and rolling some old school J-O-I-N-T gear.

7. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Has anyone here ever heard one of these? Impressions?

McLover, kt66brooklyn and JJ Cahill like this.
  8. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Not me, but I'm definitely curious...:agree:

SandAndGlass and inperson like this.
  9. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Suzanne Menzel ‎– Goodbyes And Beginnings

Old Rusty, btf1980 and moops like this.
  10. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

That famous guitar player Steve Hoffman has got us believing he's an audiophile.

[​IMG]

11. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Dude needs a haircut :p

kt66brooklyn, Tim 2 and ggergm like this.
  12. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow

so Rollins has multiple rigs (6!) throughout his house including another set of wilson's hooked up to some McIntosh gear... impressive. in the article he says he uses the set-up with the sophia's more than any other systems he has.

[​IMG]

13. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

i'm reading Hank's new book, Stay Fanatic, and it's very enjoyable to get schooled on a lot of the punk and new/no wave stuff I've overlooked.

Henry Rollins | Official Website

14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Henry Rollins used to have a show called "10 Things you Don't Know About _______" on the History Channel. It was quite interesting and he was surprisingly a cool host.

15. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Yeah, I remember! It was great.

Henry has a great podcast he hosts with his long time manager/business partner/whatever, Heidi May - talks about his comings and goings in the music biz, it's really a good listen, strongly recommended.

And he tours on his talking gigs, writes books, does voiceover work, acting work, the KCRW radio show, on and on.

If that's what it takes to get multiple rigs like his, I'll stick to my day job and little KEFs, thank you anyway.

16. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow

people also forget he had a show on IFC... 2 seasons. the format was 1. guest interview... 2. henry rant... 3. band. other than night music with david sandborn, i think the IFC show had some of the best performances i've seen on tv. no lip synching. live to tape.

17. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I gotta say thanks to so many who actually took the 4 seconds to type the names of the people in the pics, most did in this thread!
    It's a Corona Miracle!

So many of these threads with pics and videos only get posted by those who assume we all know everyone from every era...

This was way cool!

18. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

You can tell how bored we were last night . We watched the Arnie movie 'Raw Deal' , several shots where hi fi equipment was in plain view including shots where the same equipment was on view despite the script having him die so he could go undercover without his family knowing . The equipment looked like typical separates rack stuff from the mid eighties , cassette deck, amp, record player and speakers high up on a bookshelf.
    The cheapness of the movie is summed for me when [co star] Darren Mcgavin and Arnie share beers at a safe house , I might have expected Heineken , at least , but the two drink Miller High Life.
    I am betting that someone out there knows the equipment that is in shot several times in this movie !

19. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Brian Wilson with his Rock-Ola Grand Prix II
    [​IMG]

20. Rick Bartlett

I'd post mine, but I'm not a 'great musician' hehe!

SandAndGlass and Tim 2 like this.
  21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Post it anyway.
    I think you were a pretty good musician at one time.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  22. Rick Bartlett

Because you twisted and broke my arm.....
    [​IMG]

23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Very nice Rick. :righton:

24. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

Listening to the Paragons for the first was one of those moments of revelation. All the cliches could be used "hearing it (the music) for the first time", "it seemed so real" etc. It was my first time hearing a tube based system so attributes regarding the "tube" experience apply. Music through the JBLs sounded effortless with incredible dynamics. I can recall was that the tube amp was only using about 10 watts but with the high efficiency the sound was LOUD and clean without distortion or strain.
    The owner had offered to sell them to me but as I had a smaller apartment I did not have the space to place these huge speakers never mind having enough space that they needed. With the wide spacing of the horns there was no chance these could be used for near field listening. If I recall correctly these speakers were still made in the late '70s or early '80s.

25. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident