Greatest Female Rock Singer Janis Joplin or Grace Slick

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Re: Amazing Craig

Genya Ravan used to be "Goldie" from 60's girl group Goldie & The Gingerbreads (I think ??)

2. Tristan

Tristan Member

I'd definitely have to agree with those that chose
    Etta James
    Aretha Franklin
    Chrissy Hynde
    Although Etta and Aretha are soul they certainly can rock with the best of them. Don't forget Tina!

3. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Neither!

Inga Rumpf (City Preachers, Frumpy, Atlantis, and a lot of solo albums)

Joachim

4. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Janis is such a reverential interpreter of the Blues...that it's not as derogotory as if another artist else did what she did.

Both singers are underrated...mostly because of their San Francisco Sound roots. Realistically, their music playing was rough around the edges, but therein lies their charm and appeal.

Jefferson Airplane were so underrated as a band...especially their live sound. Unfortunately their radical politics did them in.

Janis was tooo iconoclastic for the mainstream, like the Airplane, at the time...and again, that's why she was as successful as she was, even to this day.

Both were genuine articles from their Generation, but they were toooo genuine with no hopes of getting into the mainstream, and therefore...ahem..."successful".

Kind of makes you think about the genuineness of those groups that were successful, even to this day, doesn't it ?

They became the "Them" that they railed against...time wounds all heals !

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I love Janis Joplin... Genya Raven, also!

6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Well - Janis died too young to ever think about a mainstream career. The Airplane morphed into the Starship and found a middle-of-the-road audience, but even then they always seemed on the verge of throwing it away. My final image of Grace Slick was that videotape of a depressed and drunken middle aged woman cusing out a German concert audience on a televised show. I guess she couldn't come to grips with what she became. (Truthfully, she often appears as a comentator on VH-1 "rock history" specials - and does appear to have all of her wits once again).

I always wodered what Brian, Jimi and Jim would have become had they hit middle age. I can see Brian delving deeper into world music, Jimi leaning towards jazz, but somehow I only see Jim Morrison exactly the way he ended up.

7. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Aren't we forgetting Bonnie Raitt? I would rate Raitt above Janis or Grace

8. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hmmm, my vote for great voice AND ha-cha-cha-cha-cha va-va-va-vooooom looks has gotta be Wanda Jackson, queen of rockabilly... Put on Let's Have a Party or Riot in Cell Block Number 9 and prepare to get flattened!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.