Greatest Hit's Albums That Are Missing Significant Hits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

I remember the first Yazoo best of was missing The Other Side Of Love. Ridiculous considering when they were together they only had 4 hits. They lost my sale for that and I just transferred the 7”.

It wasn’t a great song but with only 4 hits to your name (discounting later hit Situation before anyone tries to call me out) it was pretty cruddy of them to lose it just because they didn’t like it.

2. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

It wasn't supposed to be a collection of most covered numbers. You have to recall it was 1982. I wanna be your driver is the closest thing to a punk sound he ever had. It was added to the end intentionally to make the package rock more, and to connect with the market being addressed. There are no significant rockers missing, except for those two and they had already had vast coverage by mellower rock and country bands. (Run Run Rudolph is seasonal)

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I assumed it was supposed to cover his 28 biggest hits or most popular numbers and it does neither. However, for good or bad they they also omitted My Ding-A-Ling.

I prefer the Definitive Collection as an easy to find single disc Chuck Berry compilation. It includes Promised Land, You Never Can Tell and My Ding-A-Ling.

ARK likes this.
  4. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

It was a classy move to not repeat the same musical motif again and again. S and LT appeared together on Out of our heads, and High TIdes (here back to back). They were assuming the mantle of the worlds greatest rock band by making this decision IMO. Let the Pretty things or the yardbirds be that other thing.

5. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I had Rolled Gold through the 90s and is my preferred compilation, sadly I only had it on cassette and ditched all of them when I crossed the Atlantic. Picked up a copy of Hot Rocks this year, but would prefer to have Rolled Gold.

John Fell likes this.
  6. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Pretty much their forgotten single.

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

You can always change the running order. They don't have to be back to back.

8. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Aren't his biggest hits and most popular numbers on here? All these LPs are made in order to sell to their particular market. Each one had a different market and philosophy because of the era in wich it occurred, and the underlying business behind it. My answer to this problem is in two words "Golden Decade"

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Obviously not if they omitted Promised Land, You Never Can Tell and My Ding-A-Ling.

ARK likes this.
  10. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

My reading is that Abkco knew quite well that the two tunes had too much in common to keep exploiting them together, back to back or not.

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I think Abkco picked the songs for Hot Rocks. It also pretty much omits tracks from their psychedelic period such as We Love You, She's A Rainbow and 2000 Light Years From Home for example.

I mentioned above Hot Rocks allowed tracks from Let Bleed which was released after Though The Past Darkly to finally be included on a U.S. compilation along with Brown Sugar and Wild Horses from the joint agreement between Abkco and the Stones.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    ARK likes this.
  12. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

OK I fixed it. :)

13. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I think they were planning More Hot Rocks already when making Hot Rocks. The stuff they left off was from HSMR era. They must have seen those tunes as "second collection" worthy only, given the stones commitment to that sound, and the popularity of certain material in the market. I think I get it. But then I was a fan of the two collections (;0)

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Actually they were planning a rarities release and it became More Hot Rocks after the success of Hot Rocks. Abkco revisited the rarities idea with Metamorphosis. They included some of the better tracks not on Hot Rocks but split the difference by including some tracks which had not yet appeared on album in the U.S. However, they still managed to omit tracks like I Wanna Be Your Man and Little Red Rooster from More Hot Rocks along some additional b-sides which were not released in the U.S. until The Singles Collection: The London Years.

15. Matisse

Matisse I said me gotta go now

Red Hot Chili Peppers’ 2003 Greatest Hits is missing a few well known singles - most notably Can’t Stop and Aeroplane, but also Zephyr Song, Warped, Breaking The Girl, Suck My Kiss...

ARK, Galaga King and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
  16. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Hot Rocks was a way to shift many many units for Abkco, focusing on the US market, in 1971. It had no other job to do. It wasn't just a hits package. It had a "prospective" single, a long live cut, and was more in keeping with what the radio and the fans wanted. More Hot Rocks was serving as a rarities release, but also rounded up most of the rest of the significant material. It was designed so that the rarites were on side 4 basically. I Wanna Be Your Man was not omitted. I heard it on there.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  17. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Only in the US, and he was referring to the UK version. In the UK, it peaked at No. 37, in 1976.

18. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Between Scandal and her solo career, Patty Smyth has had maybe 10 top 100 hits combined and yet one of them, "Never Enough" (#61 Billboard), didn't make her 16 track "Greatest Hits".

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Springsteen's 1995 "Greatest Hits" was missing a number of hits and radio staples. He and Landau went for "theme" of telling a story, presenting a chronological view of Springsteen's overall body of work, rather than a collection of hits and staples. It was still a respectable collection of material, but hardly a "hits" collection in the traditional sense.

Galaga King and Pete Puma like this.
  20. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Actually it wasn't "dropped" from Queen's GH - it was "moved" to 'Classic Queen' which was essentially/functionally a GHII for the US market - though it was released first.

Why was it released first? Most likely to take advantage of the fact that BoRhap had just become a hit again due to the Wayne's World connection, and its inclusion would definitely boost sales of 'Classic Queen' which covered the mostly post "The Game"/post US hit-making 1980s.

Greatest Hits (which mostly covered the 1970s) OTOH, didn't really need BoRhap's help to sell it.

So they released 'Classic Queen' first - thus benefitting from having one of their biggest hits (and at the same time most recent hit) included on what was their only "hit" collection available at the time - the original GHI being OOP, and the new.replacement GH almost a year away from being released.

HereIsNow and mBen989 like this.
  21. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

All Prince compilations are missing his #1 hit The Most Beautiful Girl In The World.

Jayseph likes this.
  22. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I hear that Bittersweet Symphony was left off of GRRR!

GRRR!

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

However, the next Abkco U.S. release was originally planned to be strictly a rarities release compiled by Andrew Loog-Oldham. Abkco did not decide to add other minor hits and album tracks until after Hot Rocks was a good seller and then they turned the project into More Hot Rocks. However, the original plan was for the rarities release to contain only vault material. This was revisited with the Metamorphosis release.

More Hot Rocks track listing below - No I Wanna Be Your Man - It did appear on Rolled Gold.

Tracklist
    Tell Me 2:47
    Not Fade Away 1:48
    The Last Time 3:38
    It's All Over Now 3:22
    Good Times Bad Times 2:29
    I'm Free 2:23
    Out Of Time 3:39
    Lady Jane 3:08
    Sittin' On A Fence 2:58
    Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow? 2:32
    Dandelion 3:48
    We Love You 4:19
    She's A Rainbow 4:12
    2000 Light Years From Home 4:47
    Child Of The Moon 3:08
    No Expectations 3:59
    Let It Bleed 5:27
    What To Do 2:38
    Money 2:32
    Come On 1:48
    Fortune Teller 2:16
    Poison Ivy 2:47
    Bye Bye Johnnie 2:08
    I Can't Be Satisfied 3:24
    Long Long While 3:14

We Love You and Child Of The Moon not on side 4 also had not appeared on a U.S. album at the time More Hot Rocks was released.

Basically it looks like Abkco compiled More Hot Rocks after reading the Greil Marcus review below of Through The Past Darkly in Rolling Stone except that it omitted I Wanna Be Your Man.

This is one of the great party records. All the cuts are favorites, all are terrific — loud, tough, flashy rock and roll. Even if you already have every song on Flowers, Aftermath, Between the Buttons, and Beggars’ Banquet, all together they’ve probably never sounded as good as they do on this LP. Whether or not the songs were chosen with great care or virtually at random, they form an album of tremendous impact, just like any record of Little Richard’s greatest hits. If you’re a true Stones fan, you won’t be able to take your eyes off the cover.

That said, it’s still disappointing that things like “Mother’s Little Helper” were included while “We Love You” and “Child of the Moon,” which have never been on albums, were omitted. If the Stones are really going through the past darkly they ought to at least give us a reminder of where they’ve really been — in jail, for instance. And they might have given American listeners a treat by including the best of their really old material: their school-boy proud versions of Chuck Berry’s “Come On,” “Poison Ivy,” “Money,” “Bye Bye Johnny,” and the tune that really put them over the top, “I Wanna Be Your Man.” But albums like this are part of the Stones tradition — don’t be surprised when you buy “Ruby Tuesday” for the fourth time, come a year from now.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    drad dog likes this.
  24. I love More Hot Rocks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing that out to me.