Greatest Hit's Albums That Are Missing Significant Hits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Nov 13, 2018.

1. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Sorry I got IWBYM mixed up with Money, being the two songs they had in common. I wonder if they were self conscious about that and left it off.

Those Hot Rocks comps were my education in the stones. After time went by, the one song I feel I missed out on was Back Street Girl.

2. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Simple reason - the music of 'Prince' and the music of 'The Artist' were kept separate, at the man's request.

Lewisboogie and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Almost right... his latest compilation is post-WB and doesn’t contain the song eighter (due to an Italian lawsuit).

Still, the question was not if it was explainable... It is, but it’s a great ommision ;-)
    It was his biggest hit in the UK and The Netherlands and it’s missing.

4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Yeah, I always wondered why it’s history became so jumbled. Somewhere in 1986 I got the Dutch version called Grootste Hits (which came with a great inner sleeve) which also had Under Pressure closing side 1.
    Never understood the 60’s-style change and it isn’t as if success in the US was that much different to elsewhere. That came afterwards.

5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Unfortunately his output is as idiosyncratic as the man himself.

6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

So it made Celebration!
    Well, everyone forgot about the movie anyway (or tried to)...

Tim 2 and Lewisboogie like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

huh? those 2 aren't missing

8. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Also m.i.a. is Love Rollercoaster which was from the Beavis & Butthead movie and I also think it was a single. Navarro era seems to be conveniently overlooked.

ARK, Matisse and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Matisse

Matisse I said me gotta go now

oops, bad memory strikes again... sorry, I should have checked first before posting.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Maybe there were rights issues to the "Love Rollercoaster" cover?

That's literally the only RHCP song I like!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

The only excuse for "True Blue" being excluded from The Immaculate Collection I can think of is the song was written for Sean Penn and that divorce was still fairly recent, so...

Lewisboogie likes this.
  12. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Hall & Oates Rock & Soul Part One omits It's A Laugh, which was a top 20 hit (and my fave H&O song).

ARod, Lewisboogie and drad dog like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Their cover of "Lovin' Feelin'" was a bigger hit and is also absent...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. HereIsNow

HereIsNow Forum Resident

Family Man was also missing; maybe they were initially left off because they were remakes? I know they were eventually added in the 2006 reissue...

15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Was there a part two? Were they keeping some back maybe?

16. HereIsNow

HereIsNow Forum Resident

Boston's 1997 Greatest Hits album was a bit of a disappointment for me. For a band that didn't really have a lot of "hits" it was surprising they left off two top-20 songs (We're Ready & Can'tcha Say) and the only single I remember from Walk On (I Need Your Love). Having two versions of one of the new songs (Higher Power) seemed a little unnecessary as well...

ARK, Galley, The Hud and 1 other person like this.
  17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

"or tried to" lol good one.

18. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Duran Durans Decade (hits 81-89) omitted "My Own Way" - big hit and one of their best singles

LRP99 likes this.
  19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Steely Dan’s first Greatest Hits Album omits FM.

Gov't Mule likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

My guess is that they didn't want more than 2 songs per album on there - they had to leave off some of the hits so the albums would still sell! :)

21. Oatsdad

Never had a "Part 2". Like I said above, my guess is they omitted some hits so the albums would still have appeal.

"Part 2" would've been tough to generate because they had so few hits post-1983. They could've included some "BBB" tracks and a couple from later years, but it wouldn't have had anywhere near the appeal of "Part 1".

The inclusion of the "missing hits" from "P1" would've made it more enticing, but it still seems like it would've been a tough sell.

Later compilations included the missing hits much of the time, so those alleviated the need for "P2"...

ARK likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

That song didn't chart in the US, so we don't miss it! ;)

It's "New Moon" that remains the big exclusion for us - though less so for you, because apparently it stalled at #48 in Australia...

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Good one. FM was released in May '78, Greatest Hits in November '78. It was a pretty big hit (#22) and was a non-album single -a perfect candidate for a Greatest Hits album.

24. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

They said in an interview at the time that the record company sent the tapes to the FM soundtrack over but then they decided against it. They then joked that they were going to put More Than a Feeling on their Greatest Hits album.

Matthew Tate and Pete Puma like this.
  25. A strange exclusion. FM charted higher than all the other "hits" included, except for Peg, Rikki..., Reelin' In The Years and Do It Again. Deacon Blues was also omitted.

Keith V likes this.