Greatest Pop/Rock Comeback?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

The thread concerning the sonics of the Paul Simon remasters reminded what a strong comeback his GRACEAND album was. Simon had been issuing well-received albums since going solo, although each record seemed less ambitious than its predecessor. He seemed to be settling for becoming a minaturist, a guy who wrote clever songs tastefully performed, probably doomed to being more respected than actually listened to.

GRACELAND changed all that, and it's hard to describe what an ear-opener that album was at the time. It probably introduced more Americans to World Music than any album not named LEGEND, and if today its music sounds a little familiar and even derivative in our Rough Guide To world, it's because GRACELAND helped create that world.

He followed GRACELAND with RHYTHM OF THE SAINTS, which was even better, the subtler ebb and flow of the music matching Simon's conversational musings on life's passing. RHYTHM was released around the same time as the Talking Heads's underrated NAKED, which appropriated some of the same sources.

Together GRACELAND and RHYTHM OF THE SAINTS represented the best music of Simon's solo career, a commercial and artistic turnaound that was, to me at least, completely unexpected. Other than Elvis Presley, I can't think of anyone who experienced a more fruitful second wind. Any other nominations?

2. Rider

Rider Forum Resident

I think next to Elvis Tina Turner had one of the greatest comebacks ever in the 1980ies (and by the way is among those artists who harvest their greatest success after the age of 40).

The other great comeback of course was Johnny Cash's return to what I guess turned out to be almost the summit of his career with his American albums after a long and painful absence.

edited: Sorry, just saw that you asked for "pop/rock comebacks", so does Cash apply to this? :confused:

3. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

Brian Wilson? From near death to a zomboid existence to a classic album and tour.

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I'd say John Fogerty's comeback after a ten year hiatus...twice. Though he's never been able to sustain it, certainly Centerfield brought him back, big time in 1985. Eye Of The Zombie was disappointing, and he dropped out for anothe decade. Perhaps though, best of all, was 1997's Blue Moon Swamp, which maybe didn't have the commercial impact of Centerfield, but was most certainly his best solo effort to date, and possibly his best work since Creedence's heyday.

Gotta agree with Brian Wilson, even if you just compare the deer in the headlights, petrified look he had onstage back when I saw him in 2000, to the animated, confident manner and strong vocal performances on this year's SMiLE tour.

5. macready

macready New Member

When "Endless Summer" came out in '74 and went number 1.

6. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Bob Dylan...on numerous occasions.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'd pick Tina as the biggest comeback...

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I nominate Aerosmith. Hugely successful in the 70s, they were off the radar for a number of years, before coming back bigger than ever in the late 80s, and are now rock royalty, still moving albums and selling out arenas.

9. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

I think MTV helped spark many comebacks from 84-89. Tina Turner, Aerosmith, David Bowie, George Harrison, Grateful Dead, Cheap Trick, Yes, Roy Orbison, B-52's, even the Monkees!

Too bad those days are long gone.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

POP comeback?

C'mon, you're not thinking back far enough. Frank Sinatra. Hot from 1940-1946. Dead from 1947-52. Hot again from 1953-death...

Al Jolson. Hot from 1911-1930. Survived 1931-39. Couldn't get arrested from 1939-46. Movie "The Jolson Story" released 1946, hot again until his death in October, 1950.

Carry on! I bet the next post is: THE PIXIES... :)

11. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

THE PIXIES... :)

12. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Bonnie Raitt
    Peace-
    Norm

13. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Paul McCartney DIED in 1966 in a car crash and came back to complete Sgt. Pepper and the other Beatles albums, Then he sold millions of records with Wings and as a solo artist. And don't forget the record breaking tours.

Not even Elvis did as well after he died.

14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

There are a few artists who were knocked out by their "second wind": Roy Orbison, Del Shannon, Ted Hawkins, Arthur Alexander. :cry: :cry: :cry:

15. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Certainly The Monkees in '86 was the most out of left field comeback ever. I doubt anybody saw that one coming!

16. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Let's not forget Tony Bennett. He probably skipped two generations for his comeback.

17. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

My first thought when I saw the thread header was Orbison. He had a huge commercial as well as artistic success with "You Got It," and IIRC the album containing it did pretty well too. That he couldn't hang around longer to build on this success and savor it some more is a great tragedy.

18. Rider

Rider Forum Resident

What about Tom Jones? After a huge career I'd say he was away for a while until he returned with "Kiss". Don't know much about his recording career after that, too.

19. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Duke Ellington after Newport. Great comeback artistically and comercially.

Peter Green in the early 90's, from rock acid casualty/mental institution case, to world tours and great Robert Johnson tribute albums.

20. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Although it hasn't been a commercial comeback, I would say Arthur Lee. Anyone who saw the last tour or has heard the live Forever Changes can attest.

21. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Oops sorry, I guess Duke is jazz, although at one point jazz was popular music... :angel:

22. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Agreed!!!!! I never imagined hearing all those great songs performed live, and performed so incredibly well. Kudos to Baby Lemonade for the superb backing, and special props to Arthur. He's usually spoken of in terms of his songwriting, and rightfully so. But man, that cat can sing!

23. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Bowie
    Let's Dance and Serious Moonlight tour.
    By far not his best LP but it was huge.

24. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Meat Loaf

If you had told me in 1990 that within a few years Meat Loaf would have a number one album in the US (Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell) I would have said you were out of your mind...

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I was going to post Al Jolson.:) So, when are you going to give us some long over due MCA Jolson?...preferably "The Jolson Story"...most everything out there just rots! Unfortunately, I'll bet it's unobtainable.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.