Green Book (2018 movie) starring Mahershala Ali & Viggo Mortensen

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Simon A, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Yeah, just a few weeks ago.

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I noticed that. The 136M is the domestic and international box office totals. Which was in error on my part. The correct number's are.

Domestic: $66,496,401 52.3%
    + Foreign: $60,600,000 47.7%
    = Worldwide: $127,096,401

Noting that the international box office for this movie is curiously strong. I might have guessed that the international take would be about 1/3 of the domestic gross.

Where, in actuality, it is close to 50/50.

3. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

4. SandAndGlass

I don't get where this article is "debunking Green Book"?

“We weren’t able to stay in a lot of the big hotels [anywhere] because they’d tell us they didn’t have any rooms,” says Tootie, who mostly toured in the North and Midwest during that period. “We’d call up and make a reservation, then when we showed up and they saw us, they’d say they were sorry, that they were filled up, that somebody made a mistake. Which of course wasn’t true.”

“You weren’t allowed to stay in hotels on the way to California,” recalls prolific 88-year-old bassist Richard Davis, who’s worked with Dizzy Gillespie and Eric Dolphy as well as Bruce Springsteen and Van Morrison. “You just kept driving. It was hard. I remember telling a guy, ‘I might get sleepy and have an accident.’”

Going further west didn’t exactly change the situation. Simmons’ trio got a three-month contract at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas in 1956. At the time, the city was so segregated it was known as “the Mississippi of the West.” Like most black performers on the Strip, Simmons was not permitted to stay at the hotel where he was working. Instead the band was to find housing in a majority-black area, which Simmons says had no paved roads and was “on the other side of the tracks.” While on the job, he and his trio weren’t permitted to talk to customers at the venue; they were relegated to a table in the corner when they weren’t playing.

“We worked mainly in the North,” recalls Hayes of his stint with Cannonball Adderley, whom he joined in the late ’50s. “But I remember an incident in Baltimore where we played the first set, and Cannonball went outside the club and saw all these young people of color who wanted to come in but had been told they couldn’t.” Baltimore’s liquor licenses, according to a 1955 piece in the Afro-American, were divided by race: You either had a license to serve black customers or a license to serve white ones. “So Cannon went back up on stage and made a little speech, and we packed up and left. That was the end of that.”

While the movie portray's the discrimination being mostly in the south, the north, midwest and the west were just as discriminating.

Ghostworld, razerx and Simon A like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my wife and I absolutely loved this movie...WOW. The Academy got this one right...

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I think this was my favorite movie of the year (well, between this and Paddington 2 :) ) It's been a long time since the best picture winner was also a favorite of mine. And I saw all of the nominees except The Favourite.

brownie61 and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Congrats Green Book.

Loved it.

brownie61 and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I really liked this film. I saw it at closing night at TIFF where it was the Audience Award winner (and sold out). The audience loved it.

I thought it was a fine choice for Best Picture, although I was rooting for If Beale Street Could Talk (which wasn't even nominated for Best Pic and came in second for Audience Award at TIFF, interestingly enough).

I think there's more to tell, though, about Don Shirley. A fascinating person. Maybe a documentary or a biopic about his entire life.

brownie61 likes this.
  9. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I couldn't get past the 20 minute mark. I was actually squirming in my seat. It felt like it was designed to be an Oscar contender after the complaints about the lack of stories about people of color. When the Don Shirley character said what Little Richard played was complicated, I really started tuning out. The story and writing just seemed cliche. I'd rather see a documentary about those times with people that actually lived through them.

Ghostworld, Rasputin and VU Master like this.
  10. SandAndGlass

I saw the movie as a story about two people and their interaction, which happened to take place in the early 60's.

I don't think that it was intended to be an educational documentary about the times.

11. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

It was based on the actual remembrances of the driver, as told to his son.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Jazzmonkie

I realize it was from Tony Lip's remembrances. Still did nothing for me. It was last year's "feel good" movie like "Crash" after the Rodney King incident.

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'm a bit biased, having attended a concert of the trio and was amazed that he was remembered.

Silken, Steve Litos, mmars982 and 2 others like this.
  14. SandAndGlass

Tonylip one word, maybe you should have seen a bit more than 20-minutes of the movie.

I didn't choose to watch the movie because it made some kind of social statement, I choose it because the trailer's seemed interesting.

I stayed and watched the movie, because I thought it was a good movie.

I was born in the 50's and grew up during the 60's, often traveling with my father, just about everywhere in the south. I don't need to go to movies to have it explained to me how life was in the south. My father was born in Georgia, shortly after the beginning of the 20th century.

TeacFan likes this.
  15. Jazzmonkie

I grew up in the 50's and 60's in NY state and saw more race issues than were represented in the movie. I'm glad Don Shirley has been recognized. I just didn't like the movie. To each their own. I find very little contemporary American cinema that I like any more. Tony Lip - IMDb

16. SandAndGlass

That is what I mean. Anytime there are "race issues" in a movie, somehow it ends up being in the South, like this movie.

In the movie Tony corrects (I think) Don Shirley and explains that Tonylip is one word.

17. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I guess everyone has their own experiences. I grew up in a NYC housing project in the 60s and my first friends were black as is my oldest friend in the world. We were all in the same boat, lower middle class working families. It wasn't until the 70s where we experienced racial issues or what is commonly called "reverse racism".

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Wow. When was this, and how was it?

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I really liked this film. Everyone put in a great performance and the narrative kept me interested and engaged all the way through. Really nicely done!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

The real Tony was around 30, not 60 like the actor portraying him.

mmars982, SandAndGlass and Jazzmonkie like this.
  21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

enjoyable ,and I'm glad both characters were allowed to grow and develop a friendship based on the reality of their experience, not a screewriters' construct. IDK if it was the best movie of 2018, but certainly in the top 10

Ghostworld likes this.
  22. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Not understanding that article, it supports the accuracy of the movie more than anything.

The fact is a white guy from the Bronx did drive a black musician around the country including the deep south. Many of the events in the film actually happened. Based on this article Green Book Movie vs. the True Story of Tony Lip and Don Shirley they did a decent job with the historical accuracy.

I liked the film as it was very engaging.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It’s written as Tony Lip anywhere you can read about him, including the Green Book screenplay... he doesn’t mean it’s literally one word, he’s just telling Shirley it’s not “Tony the Lip.”

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I liked it as a lightweight comedy and mainly for
    Fat Aragorn

But im I the only one in the world to notice that an apparent hit on tony for beating up that guy in the club was edited out?

25. SandAndGlass

Well, I don't have the movie and it is gone from the theater's.

What I remember is Shirley saying Tony Lip, not Tony "THE" Lip.

I doubt that someone who is astute as Shirley would add another word that was not there to begin with.

But at this time, I can not say for certain.

Whereupon, Tony explains to Shirley, "Tonylip, one word".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.