Gregg Allman, Great Southern, and Dickie Betts Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eric Weinraub, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident Thread Starter

Long time Allman Brothers fan. Have not listened to much of the material from their side and solo projects. To those folks who know this material, what are your recommendations?

thnkgreen likes this.
  2. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

Gregs album "Laid Back" and Dickey Betts Album " Highway Call " ( kind of country rock ) are good.

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Gregg’s “Playin Up a Storm” is pretty good. Especially if you like Dr John, who’s all over it.

Dickey’s “Pattern Disruptive” is a strong album that marks (I think) the debut of Warren Haynes. A clear bridge to the Altman’s comeback.

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I’ve only heard a few.

I’d say avoid I’m No Angel. Despite the great title track, this is a fairly faceless and dull 80s adult contemporary sounding record.

I’d also approach Dickey Betts & Great Southern with a bit of caution. It’s not exactly bad, but it really does sound like he’s deliberately recycling past ABB triumphs. I had hoped for better here.

The jury is still out for me on Pattern Disruptive. Appreciate the rec from @bRETT above. I should revisit this one.

pocofan, Mojo7575 and Riktator like this.
  5. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Laid Back is a great album. Essential. Highway Call is a decent country album. Think Ramblin' Man with fiddles. The Great Southern albums are a nice listen but nothing special.

adad, pocofan, Skydog7 and 7 others like this.
  6. This. The expanded/deluxe edition is highly recommended, indeed essential.

7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I second these choices.

ARod and JoeF. like this.
  8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Several times a year someone here sells Gregg's One More Try, Anthology. Grab the next one.

Dark Horse 77, Mojo7575, ARK and 13 others like this.
  9. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Matt Abts of Gov't Mule is on it too.

I believe prior to that Warren had appeared on some of David Allan Coe's recordings.

PhoffiFozz, Mark E. Moon and bRETT like this.
  10. Gdgray

Gdgray What if a 6 was a 9?

Gregg Allman
    One More Try : An Anthology
    2cd set of demos , outtakes and alternate cuts from his solo career. Highlights the Soulful side of Gregg. Adam’s Song/Shadow Dream Song, Catfish Blues , Rain and When a Man Loves a woman are some of my favorites from these disc.

Dark Horse 77, painted8, ARK and 10 others like this.
  11. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I love Gregg's Just Before The Bullets Fly.
    Know that disc front to back.

12. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

No love for “Allman and Woman”?:hide:

Just kidding!:D
    “Gregg Allman Tour” from 1974 is real good live album

13. Cousin Stanley

Cousin Stanley Forum Resident

I have them all and the ones I enjoy and recommend dipping your toes into are Gregg's Laid Back, One More Try, and Southern Blood. If you can't get One More Try don't worry about it as the Laid Back Deluxe Edition has a lot of those tracks on it and is probably a lot cheaper if you are buying media.

For Dickey I would recommend Highway Call, and The Collectors #1. If you are buying CDs a lot of Dickey's can be had as 2 for 1s eg The Collectors and Let's Get Together.

14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Consistently a stronger album than its predecessor, I’m No Angel. Ocean Awash The Gunwale is a gem of a song. And there’s a bit of the melody from the ABB’s Dreams, during the end guitar solo. A nice touch.

In my opinion, the OP should grab it all

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  15. pool_of_tears

For Highway Call, get the old Japanese Polydor disc from the 1980’s

E_Braunn_Fan and Cousin Stanley like this.
  16. pool_of_tears

I like I’m No Angel. While it is a polished album, and the rest of it arguably doesn’t match the lofty standard of the title track, I wouldn’t call it dull.

The 2 albums with Great Southern are solid. I rate the first one much higher…Johnny Sandlin’s production sympathetic to Dickey’s music. Jack Richardson wasn’t as good of a fit as producer, for the 2nd album

17. Both I’m no Angle and Just Before The Bullets Fly are enjoyable as Gregg’s style evolved, polished 80’s production included the highly talented Toler Bros..

ARK, ARod, blueslover99 and 2 others like this.
  18. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I'd agree with the comments so far, however, Highway Call, seems more popular with others than me.

I recommend The Toler Brothers album, the Warren Haynes solo albums, The Allman Betts Band albums & Gov't Mule is essential.

I like the Les Brers albums but are very hard to come by at reasonable prices around here.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  19. After the original ABB with Duane, the Toler Bros lineup/output is my favorite.

Hep Alien and pool_of_tears like this.
  20. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

What he said!

I'm also a fan of Gregg's Low Country Blues and Southern Blood as well as Gregg Allman Live - Back to Macon Georgia.

Most everything else by Great Southern and solo Gregg is entertaining but not essential, IMO.

21. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Really? I thought when they got back for a third time with Warren and Woody and the albums Seven Turns through to Where It all Begins blew away the Toler Bros. era. But to each their own.

Charlie Z., ARK, vegafleet and 2 others like this.
  22. thetakeout

thetakeout Forum Resident

From a hard core Allman's Enthusiast here. IMO the first version of that band with Duane and Berry is the greatest American band to ever hit the road. With apologies to Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys and James Brown & The Famous Flames.

Gregg Allman - Laid Back (Exceptional) I prefer it to Brothers & Sisters which was recorded at the same time. Frankly to me it isn't close. Gregg's heart was in this album and he wasn't really present for Brothers & Sisters. Just look at the song writing credits on each album.

Gregg Allman - The Gregg Allman Tour - Essentially Laid Back with an orchestra on tour. Plus you get Oncoming Traffic which is Gregg morning in song form.

Gregg Allman - Playing Up A Storm - My preferred version of Come & Go Blues. You can tell Gregg has played the song over and over and he really nails the vocal arrangement and performance. The album has questionable production values, but welcome to world of Gregg Allman without Duane present for quality control.

Dickey Betts - Highway Call - A fun album. It isn't as good as Brothers & Sisters but it is better than the rest of the Allmans output before their 90's comeback. Probably better than anything after Brothers & Sisters other than Hitting The Note (I prefer Hitting the Note).

To my ears Laid back hits the same high bar that The Allman Brothers, Idlewild South & Eat A Peach hit. Maybe not Eat A Peach but Laid Back is truly excellent.

Eat A Peach & The Fillmore Recordings are untouchable utopian recordings of American music.

The other albums listed above are all really good albums but not at the same high bar that Laid Back sets.

I do have a soft spot for Southern Blood that last Gregg Allman album. I believe he was terminal when he recorded it. I know for sure he knew his days were numbered.

Duane & Gregg were good friends with Jackson Browne in the Hour Glass (pre Allman's) days. Gregg always loved S0ng for Adam released in 72' by Jackson Browne. It is a story about one of Jackson's friends who died young. Gregg related to it because of the loss of Duane. Duane died in 71'. Gregg records Song for Adam on this album with Jackson singing backup. At the end of the song there is a verse where Gregg gets choked up and can't finish the verse. The pedal steel player fills the gap. It is a pretty moving moment when you know what happened in the recording studio and his relationship to the tune.

Here is the verse. In the version on Southern Blood the last line is missing which is where the pedal steel player chimes in to fill the gap.

Though Adam was a friend of mine, I did not know him long
    And when I stood myself beside him, I never thought I was as strong
    Still it seems he stopped his singing in the middle of his song
    Well, I'm not the one to say I know, but I'm hoping he was wrong

This is a rambling post. I love the Allmans.

23. thetakeout

thetakeout Forum Resident

I largely agree with these comments.

pexie and Skydog7 like this.
  24. pool_of_tears

That’s a bold statement. A lot of people hate or crap on the 79-82 period, especially the 2 albums on Arista. But, there’s some strong material on those albums. And while those 2 Arista albums make anyone forget the 1969-73 period, they still have merits. I enjoy them for what they are, not what they should or shouldn’t be.

25. pool_of_tears

Keep on rambling:)

ARK, greasepaint, dylankicks and 5 others like this.