Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

The organ break is my favorite part of the song. My second favorite part is the title.

2. Money-grubbing companies and street urchins decide what is good art?

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  3. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Um, they're actually a good band. Two 18-year-olds and two 21-year-olds who all have always paid (in every interview they've ever done) HUGE respect, and homage, towards the REAL classics and rock's forefathers? Not to mention, they've been playing together for, at least, five years.

Sure, they sound like...listen to all 11 released songs and then talk...

No, I'm not just talking about Zep. The bass players BIGGEST influence is James Jamerson (the band covers Fairport Convention and Adele). Listen to his interview with Trunk this week, or go Google for awhile.

It's ridiculous that so-called fans of rock rock slog these guys. Hell, whether you like them or not, we should all be rooting for their success. It's good for our souls.

Bring back the ROCK!!!

4. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

There was definitely something fishy going on with TicketWeb yesterday.

Tickets were scheduled to go on sale at 10am. At around 9:50am, I went to The Agora's Facebook page for the event and clicked the provided link to go to the event page on TicketWeb. When the TicketWeb page opened, it said "tickets are not on sale yet" - as should have been expected.

So, at 10am, I refreshed the page - it still said "tickets are not on sale yet." I kept refreshing every 20 seconds or so for the next five minutes only to get the same message every time - "tickets are not on sale yet."

Meanwhile, people (including me) are freaking out and making angry posts on The Agora's Facebook page for the event. The Agora made a post stating to keep refreshing the TicketWeb page.

A few minutes later, the Ticketweb page suddenly changes from "tickets are not on sale yet" to "there are no more tickets available for this show."

Now, people are getting really angry especially since tickets are showing up on Ebay and other resale sites for 3 times face value.

However, a small minority of posters are claiming that they were able to buy tickets. So, I decide to go to TicketWeb's main page and type in Greta Van Fleet in the artist/venue search section. A result for the Agora show appears and I click on the "tickets" button - shockingly, I am re-directed to a purchase page where tickets are still available.

I quickly purchased my ticket, and posted instructions on the Facebook event page for others to do the same. A few minutes later, the above method no longer works - tickets are now sold out when using that method as well.

JasonA likes this.
  5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Tjdufresne and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  6. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

Yeah I tried to get 2 tix for the Boston show in July. Everytime I tried the website kept saying the order couldn't be filled. I gave up. Not to mention the prices were from $150 to $300.00.

7. artfromtex

8. aroney

artfromtex likes this.
  9. artfromtex

Yes. What a trip that must have been for them.

Seems they played a few unreleased songs. Ballsy move.

aroney likes this.
  10. artfromtex

Paperback Writer likes this.
  11. aroney

Smart move. I believe maximum creativity has a short life-span. You have to ride the wave!

artfromtex likes this.
  12. artfromtex

Agreed!

13. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Motivation is what often has the limited life span. Creativity knows no limits...as long as you're motivated.

14. aroney

Certainly it's a factor. Once folks reach the "top" many lose that motivation.

That said, when you look at most folks in the creative fields, especially music, they all seem to have a peak in which they are at their most prolific and produce their best stuff. Even when highly motivated, the muse still passes them by, and what once came easier, is diminished.

There are exceptions of course, but not many.

15. Django

Django Forum Resident

I've listened to a good few tracks by these guys....they do what they do well, but the blatant Robert Plant-isims, vocally & the mannerisms are just too much.
    Lots of bands wear they're influences on the sleeves but this is just mimicry. They could do the same songs with a different vocal & it wouldn't seem as derivative.

DHamilton and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  16. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I just heard them for the first time this past week. Outstanding classic rock sound!

artfromtex and aroney like this.
  17. James F. Hassan

James F. Hassan Forum Resident

I agree with you. However, I still really like this band and the singer does have a hell of a voice. To be compared with Robert Plant...it could be worse.

18. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

...reminds me of this quote:

Mike McCready:

"I get afraid of losing that creative energy... where it's like 'where's it going to come from'... am I going to lose it someday... or will I have it for a while and then will it just run out because I've seen that happen to other bands."

artfromtex likes this.
  19. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I agree.

Musically I like the band. Even if somehow the vocalist just naturally has the Plant vocal style, he doesn't have to do the Plant-like hand gestures as he sings. I didn't mind the vocals as much until I saw the below performance on TV a couple of months ago then the performance turned me off from the song.

Musically they have the makings of something good, lyrically nothing jumped out at me and as stated in the post above it is just too derivative. Maybe/hopefully they will grow beyond that.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  20. Django

Django Forum Resident

I don't find them all that interesting in general but it's good to see a new rock band getting some interest.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  21. WarEagleRK

Hopefully they can kick start more new rock bands getting some big time exposure. It's been a long time...

22. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Don't be too hard on 'em folks, they're just a bunch of talented kids having a good time right now. No doubt they will grow just as many other successful bands and artists have done before them.

aroney and Steel Horse like this.
  23. WarEagleRK

Hey, it could be much worse...

24. I watch clip after clip, but I just can't get onboard with these guys. It's all too blatant. All style and no substance. And, that song is just a showcase for the singer.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  25. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Proof, if any more were really needed, of precisely how badly these clowns suck (especially Sister Mary Elephant on 'yells'):

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.