Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's better to copy so you can make the bigtimes than be original and maybe not be so successful? Sounds like the entertainment industry motto.

2. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Well, he did quote Mike Love!

And while I get the Plant comparisons (and I guess it's even more obvious when you see him perform), I think the singer sounds more like Axl Rose.

3. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I feel so ashamed. :sigh:

:laugh:

4. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Fear and confusion?

5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Copying a band whose heyday was back in the 70's is not a recipe for success these days. Just listen to the acts that are hot - it ain't classic rock throwback bands. Not even close.

GVF are anomaly. Whether folks dig them or not, they've already beat the odds faced by most bands.

WarEagleRK and artfromtex like this.
  6. aroney

These guys didn't steal music though, they listened to dad's LP collection and it went from there.

And "blatant plagiarizing"? Hyperbole much? ;)

They haven't even put out a full length LP yet. I hope they don't stray too far from their roots though.

Then again, all the people saying they are ripping off Led Zep are actually doing Zeppelin a disservice, especially since Zeppelin recorded a wide variety of music, evolved and didn't sound like the same band from their first album to their last.

Man at C&A, Runicen and artfromtex like this.
  7. They need to do more than beat the odds...

8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

These guys and their manager are obviously doing something right. They are selling out every show ..... sometimes months in advance. That wouldn't happen if there was not an audience for their music.

Stormrider77 and artfromtex like this.
  9. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

The two EPs and couple of covers are roughly a full album's worth of work.

You are correct about Led Zeppelin recording a wide variety of styles. I wonder if GVF's third album will be half acoustic?

My main complaint isn't the band, it's the vocals overpowering the song. It is Plant impersonation turned up to 10.

Despite not being a fan hat's off to them though, may their recent rise to fame open the door for more rock bands getting exposure.

Jam757 likes this.
  10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Every time I see their name, I think of the reporter who used to be on Fox News. :)
    Weren't these guys going to do a full album? When is it scheduled for release? I have an EP of theirs- pretty good, definitely conjures up Zep on the vocals, but that doesn't bother me....

11. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

See the above quoted post & link. :righton:

Bill Hart likes this.
  12. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Bought From The Fires yesterday.

I like their approach, and compliment them on choice of covers; "A Change Is Gonna Come" shows some courage (vs. Sam Cooke and other mature greats who've done it), and "Meet On The Ledge" some awareness of Zeppelin's English folk/rock roots. They should continue concentrating on their own songwriting, though, and disregard whether it sounds Zep-like or not.

They don't live up to the buzz (public hunger for a nouveau Zep?), but I'm hopeful. It'd be nice to have a band to fill their particular slot with great tunes.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Runicen likes this.
  13. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

14. aroney

Wow. That's huge!

amoergosum and artfromtex like this.
  15. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Greta Van Fleet on Twitter

"Dear friends, we have a surprise for you... we secretly held onto limited tickets for select spring shows for our most fervent supporters! This Saturday, March 31st at 12PM local time, get ready to buy your tickets the old-fashioned way...At the venue box office ONLY!"

Looks like the dates are:

5/8 - Baltimore - Rams Head
    5/11 - Sayerville - Starland Ballroom
    5/14 - Nashville - Marathon Music
    5/22, 5/23, 5/25 - Detroit - The Fillmore
    7/6 , 7/8 - Toronto - Rebel
    7/18 - Pittsburgh - Stage AE Outdoors
    7/23, 7/24 - Boston - House of Blues
    7/31 - Cleveland - Agora Theatre
    8/1 - St. Louis - The Peagant

"This time, no tickets will be offered online or by phone. Strict two ticket limit per person""

jammincrowe and JasonA like this.
  16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I burst out laughing after hearing the first minute of the first song. Waaaaaay too close in sound to Zeppelin for me, does very little for me. I'm gonna listen more but my initial impression is not that good. I can hear that they are talented musicians, just zero originality. I must admit while I liked some Wolfmother (I even own one vinyl) they also suffered from the same problem. My biggest complaint of Wolfmother though is their ****ty production and super low DR ratings, even their vinyl sounds like crap. I see these guys are clocking in around DR6. That's ear ache range for me. If they depart from their current sound and branch out a little and greatly improve their recording/mastering process maybe they can improve. Again, I'll keep listening, I hope they grow on me.

17. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I don't own any GVF - but I've seen their vids on YT and I give these kids props! They are rocking it in an environment that (at this time) seems anachronistic to what is the mainstream. Which is fine by me. It's a nice return to rock (in the mainstream) and I'm all for them succeeding. I hope they get better! I'd like to hear them add another guitar player or a keys player but whatever.
    So what if they are derivative, so what!

The poster above me says "I hope they grow on me" - well, if people weren't so critical on the nuances of a waveform's characteristics you might enjoy them! Just jam out to the songs, put down the magnifying glass.
    If a person doesn't like Zeppelin - you won't like GVF - so move on.

Brendan K likes this.
  18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I don't live and die by DR ratings but clocking in at a 6 is disappointing (which is pretty much the norm these days). I'm gonna listen to the entire album on high volume again (if I can). You could also say huge Zeppelin fans (myself) might hate GVF if they find them too derivative...

Brendan K and WarEagleRK like this.
  19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Ok, Black Smoke Rising and Meet on the Ledge are decent tunes. I'm hearing more Rush and Yes influences in those which is a good thing. A Change is Gonna come also a good track. I'll give em a shot. Only complaint, can someone please learn how to master a god damn album please!!? Do people think MP3's with DR6 are acceptable?

JasonA likes this.
  20. Or...if a person does like Zeppelin, they won't like GVF. There's no rule of thumb here.

21. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

22. aroney

Jefferson Airplane? Billy Idol? :D

23. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

What a great clip. Tons of knowledge and insight. I love old folks.
    :love:

I thought their praise and criticisms were very insightful.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Pretty funny Plant interview from Australian TV.. Greta Van Fleet content 1:50

25. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.