Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I ran this through my decoder ring and it came out as : " Why can't we let this generation discover music like what we enjoyed and enjoy it like we do ? "

The reason that this band gets the blowback that they get isn't so much because of how they cheese off Led Zep fans. Not everyone who's critical of this band sits around all day gettin' " a little light in the heady" and listening to Livin' Lovin' Maid on a loop.

It's because they are a blatant example of when record labels scoop some malleable goo into the extruder, squeeze out, cut into shape, buff up and release into the world acts like this that don't really seem to have anything to offer in terms of differentiating themselves from what they are a calculated knock-off of. This is the epitome of what some here refer to as "corporate rock". But at least Boston sounded like Boston. This is just transparent and shameless and they seem to take a sense of pride in it. It's cynical. It's calculated. And building up goofy origin stories about their small-town roots and rock'n'roll bona fides so their teeny-tiny version of The Bayhive can have something to cling to while they evangelize and accuse detractors of being haters.... The ick-factor is through the roof.

I can get behind a bar band that catches an updraft and hits the big time. That's a underdog story and everybody loves 'em but I've had a gut-full of prefab buzz bands getting shoved in my face by "The Industry" and the more "ardent" of their fans geting all snarky if you aren't on the bandwagon swillin' the Kool-Aid with them. Listen to GVF all day - I don't care. But I think they're cringe-worthy and some may not like that opinion.

But they don't have to like it. And if that's what you call pissing on the musical dreams of a generation, you've got pretty low expectations for this generation.

D.D.

2. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Ahhh yes. I can still clearly hear my father telling me to "never play that crap in my house again". I was 13 and it was 1969 - the song ......... In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. We have become our fathers.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    PDK, Jimmy Agates, TheSaltman and 2 others like this.
  3. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

This would make some sense if it had anything to do with the actual history of the band, but it does not.

I'd suggest some reading up on them first for the facts.

In fact, you can easily find demos of these guys when they were in their early teens, along with a successful crowdfunding effort to finance those early demos and videos. ;)

4. Diamond Dog

Since you're so well versed in their backstory since birth, tell me : did they ever appear to have even the faintest hint of an original idea in their heads ?

Oh... almost forgot : ;)

D.D.

vudicus likes this.
  5. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Agree 100%. A poster posts a negative opinion and it's deemed fake news. A negative opinion is every bit as valid as a positive one.

Fake news? Try harder

Man at C&A, Diamond Dog and James5001 like this.
  6. Sighlence

Sighlence Well-Known Member

Eeesh....i couldn’t even finish listening to it. GVF is on another level vocally as well as instrumentally. Next!

7. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Did it not sound like Baby Zepp enough?

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  8. Sighlence

Next! Whatcha got? I’m willing to listen, but give me something worthy. A friend told me to give My Name Is Human by Highly Suspect a listen. I did, and sorta of liked it so I decided to dig a little deeper. What I found was a lot of talking thru lyrics and F bombs. Meh...the Rock seen has been littered with stuff like that for ages.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the kids where i teach are always telling about greta van fleet.

they say i HAVE to listen to them because they sound so much like led zeppelin.

i tell them i grew up with the real led zeppelin and nobody sounds more like zeppelin than zeppelin.

about the album: i listened and......meh.

DHamilton, Man at C&A and vudicus like this.
  10. Diamond Dog

Check out the 12-minute trainwreck that is GVF doing Edge Of Darkness during their set at ACL 2018 ( starts at 5:52 and ends... well, it never actually seems to end ). That is definitely some next-level stuff. Not content to copy Led Zepelin's sound and style, they've also apparently decided to mimic Zep's often-shambolic live peformance esthetic as well. And who the Hell dresses these guys ? Must hate them or something to send them out on stage looking like that.

Not as much as it sucked sitting through this whole set hoping at first that it would get less comedic, and then ending up hoping it would get even more comedic.

D.D.

Dreaddazzman and James5001 like this.
  11. Sighlence

I watched the whole thing, and loved every minute. :righton:

12. Apache Chief

Apache Chief Forum Resident

This is a great performance, I like the small John Denver cover thrown in before You're the One as well

Bruceanthony and groovelocked like this.
  13. Diamond Dog

Even the sandals with the goofy pants pulled up to his pecs like his nurse helped him get ready to leave his room and go play Bingo in the common area ? They should leave a seltzer bottle on the drum riser for him so he can go full-clown.

D.D.

dharmabumstead and DHamilton like this.
  14. Diamond Dog

How so, exactly ? What did you see and hear there that brought you to that conclusion ? Sincere question.

D.D.

DHamilton and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  15. Sighlence

I don't know what to tell you man, i dig these kids. How do i embed a youtube video here?

16. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

This exactly. I bet if you gave Zoso, Hammer of the God's, or any other great Zeppelin cover band a chance to record their own tunes they'd be just as good, if not better than GVF. It's just the fact that GVF is more marketable.

17. Diamond Dog

Right-click on the video - you'll see a prompt to : Copy Video URL. Click on that and then paste the video URL into your post.

D.D.

Sighlence likes this.
  18. hfarrior3

This is why I find the GVF debate so interesting and could discuss it for hours. Usually I can see both sides of an argument, but with GVF it blows my mind that anyone with an sincere appreciation of music could like these guys, but yet people do.

19. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

It’s so utterly bad that it’s amazing. But not surprising: matters of taste and sense have managed to invert themselves in recent years, it seems.

20. Sighlence

Be a boring life if we all agreed on everything and....yeah. I really wasn't a big fan of Zeppellin either. Well, i like a few songs, but wasn't blown away by them. So why is it that i like GVF so much if i wasn't a big Zepp fan?

hfarrior3 likes this.
  21. Sighlence

They wrote this in 2014(SICK!). They rip someone off here too?

Paulwalrus and Actuarybrad like this.
  22. Apache Chief

Apache Chief Forum Resident

Great guitar work, bass, singing, and drumming?

Music is subjective. It's okay if you don't like GVF, but I do.

23. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

I think they get their threads from the dumpster behind the old that 70's show set

rnranimal likes this.
  24. hfarrior3

This that Viking imagery I see in the video? :laugh:

25. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Never been a Led Zeppelin fan, but my son showed me a video last night and it brought a smile to my face. The lead singer is having a lot of fun, and I love that.

I like bands that sound like the Byrds, etc., so no issues with the influences, heavy handed or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.