Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

:p:D:pleased::laugh:

2. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Big Difference. The Black Crowes have great songs, great singer and can do a cover song and make it their own. GVF has what?

3. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Tight trousers.

4. They wouldn't be compared to those GOATs if they weren't trying to BE them. Nobody ever compared Stewart Copeland to Bonzo but he's still great.

5. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

A marketing budget.

Diamond Dog likes this.
  6. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

All your opinion and not much else. I don't agree about the Black Crowes being much different from GVF actually. You just happen to prefer them.

And the GVF boys are still extremely young anyway with all of 1 full album. All of this insistence on knocking them reflects very poorly on those doing so, especially in the current climate.

If GVF do well, it will be good for rock in general in terms of promoters being willing to take a chance on some other rock you might like. Rooting against them in this way is particularly silly if you are a rock fan and hope to see more rock emerge and a rock circuit maintained.

weekendtoy, jay.dee and Queezma like this.
  7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I am curious as to what GVF will do with more age and more experience, but I do happen to personally agree with that other poster. With the Crowes, they weren't doing anything that was like "oh wow this has never been done before", however right out of the gate you have Chris Robinson's unique vocal approach and sound that really is his own identity - I can hear his influences but I don't hear him trying to be his influences

Whereas with Greta, I just can't help but chuckle whenever Highway Tune comes on because even his screams that are the exact same note Robert Plant screams on The Lemon Song, and is imitated so much to the point where if you told anyone that Robert's scream was copy/pasted onto it, they would believe you no questions asked.

There is potential there for Greta. The musicians are competent enough to sound like a tight unit, and hopefully time will benefit them in the songwriting department and finding a voice that isn't simply emulation

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  8. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Undescended testicles?

9. Stones Blah

Stones Blah Forum Resident

I wanted to like them, but I really don't. :shrug:

10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I 'm not a fan but then I don't like Led Zep either.

However I'd much rather both those bands on the radio than what we're usually served up these days.

Fusionfan and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

^^^This^^^ I think GVF has potential, as I've stated several times in this thread, but it's up to them to decide what to do with it. Right now I'm not sure which direction they'll take as they sounded like they were treading water with their 2nd album, & yes, I realize their 1st album was two EPs combined. That actually doesn't bode well for them if they continue down the same path.

Like I've said I have both albums & listen to them. Just not as much as I would if they were better.

12. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

They actually denied it? I'd like to see a link to that. Just curious.

13. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Off course, they're signed by a major label.

They got airplay + in every rock playlist at streaming platforms.

You'll end up automatically in the charts that way.

14. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

[​IMG]

Yay.

D.D.

Graham and Bluesman Mark like this.
  15. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

You clearly don't follow the industry. Those are numbers which are extremely unusual in 2019. You don't just throw an album like that out there and see those numbers.

So no, there's way more to this than a major label push and it's very obvious to those of us in the industry.

Detroit Music Fan and Queezma like this.
  16. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Remarkably stupid 'reply'

Perhaps you don't want rock to be comercially viable in the future but those of us who would like there to actually be an industry know how important it is to have an actual circuit composed of bands which actually chart highly in multiple countries, sell out 10,000 seaters and tour around the world.

17. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

I had the same reaction in terms of originality to the Crowes as some of you to GVF. This is splitting hairs.

Both are/were derivative and it's easy to see how. I just never made it into my personal crusade to slag the Crowes and thought they were still a good thing for rock on balance.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  18. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

:shh:
    Please Clap

19. Diamond Dog

Fanboys are funny. Greta fanboys are among the funniest. And they often can't spell. Enjoy your "industry". That may be the single most desperately pathetic thing I've read in this whole thread. And that's saying something. Outstanding, really. Kudos.
    No denying that GVF are an "industry" band, though. You do make a valid point there. They stink of it.

D.D.

20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Just to me the Crowes' debut album to me has more personality in it as opposed to GVF thus far, that was just my point. Maybe Chris Robinson got lucky and with Mr. Crowe's Garden worked out all the kinks before the Crowes' debut so they were able to come right out of the gate with the combo of updating the Stones' Exile sound to the '90s while having a singer that sounded one of a kind

I am interested to see where Greta will go from here. I just found it funny how much of Robert Plant's vocal tropes and stage tropes the singer borrows. The SNL performance was not highly recieved by many, but Lana Del Rey had a bad SNL debut and is now a mainstream Goddess so if they develop great songwriting and a unique voice I can easily see Greta being a kickass unit. We shall see what happens

21. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

More of the same idiocy, congratulations. GVF are remarkably successful already. This has nothing to do with being a 'fanboy' or spelling.

And try enjoying music without an actual industry and circuit to support it. Let me know how that works out. For anyone who wants to see new records made and tours happen you actually need new successful bands.

realkilroy and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  22. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Especially in the current climate? You what mate? Are us haters traitors to the cause of rock? Should we start calling Greta Van Fleet 'true rock' to distinguish them from all the other current rock bands that are actually producing good music but who aren't going to save Rock™ according to old men on the internet?

Graham, Diamond Dog and Bluesman Mark like this.
  23. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Lana del Ray is unique and doesn’t really sound like anyone else, can not say that about G.V.F

24. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

I don't think anyone said anything about GVF singlehandedly 'saving rock' but it would be far more accurate to say that some 'old men on the internet' are morbidly obsessed with hating on a band of 20 year olds.

Those kids are having quite a lot of success playing rock and actual instruments which indeed is unusual in the current climate, particularly in North America. If people want more young bands playing rock, the success of the most prominent young one doing so will facilitate that.

As for 'good music' you should try to understand that calling the music you happen to like 'good' and railing about the music you don't like says nothing about either.

carlwm and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  25. Diamond Dog

And how old would you be, exactly ? Judging from your posts and your inability to not stoop to name-calling when people disagree with your position, I'm gonna say 12. If you can't handle dissenting views like a grown-up, there's a perfectly good little GVF appreciation thread you can go hyperventilate over your crush band in. Off you go.

The argument about how these are the last brave little rock'n'roll soldiers still playing "real" instruments in North America is ludicrous. If you can't find current hard rock bands here without having "The Industry " serve up this kind of re-heated, back-of-the-fridge goo to you on a visibly-tarnished platter, that's your problem. Swinging your GVF lunchbox at others in impotent rage is apparently how you deal with it. Grow up.

Evangelizing for such a lightweight concoction as GVF because they're better than nothing is arguing in favour of mediocrity and that's just sad. To put this into terms you can perhaps grasp, let's use your avatar band as a comparison. At least Rainbow made a few good records before selling out in a play for mass popularity. Blackmore is clear on that intention. Your current crush band went directly to the sell-out. They're a flacid cosplay troupe engaged in Golden Era karaoke and if they're drawing a crowd, so what ? So does McDonald's at lunchtime. That doesn't change the fact that the food still tastes like post-consumer waste. The only reason GVF called themselves what they did was likely because "Mayor McCheese" was copyrighted. Too bad they didn't check before they got the posters printed up....

[​IMG]

D.D.

GrayMouser and Bluesman Mark like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.