Groups who split in two

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Say It Right, Jul 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I like to think of it as, Ringo, and The Concert For Bangladesh. :D

Sean, Lost In The Flood and drad dog like this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Chad Allen and the Expressions became The Guess Who, and Brave Belt (on its' way to becoming BTO).

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

always a Rutle!

drad dog likes this.
  4. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Brian Wilson Band
    The (fake) Beach Boys

5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Teenage Radio Stars. La Femme and the Models.

6. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

King Crimson temporarily split up in 4 Projekcts around 2000.

ARK likes this.
  7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Nope, they were always side projects, although Siouxsie & Budgie did continue as The Creatures after the Banshees actually did split,and reform for the Seven Year Itch for that matter.

The Glove was always just a one off.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  8. [​IMG] smitty fang and drake left paul revere and the raiders and formed the brotherhood

9. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

It can be argued that Garth Brooks split himself in two with the whole Chris Gaines thing...except that nobody got the joke.

Shoot that down if you must.

Opinions vary.

Dan

10. Also The Desert Rose Band

11. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

:thumbsdow

JoeRockhead and maui jim like this.
  12. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Good one. I adore Main.

Moonshake split in half with Margaret Fielder and John Frennett forming Laika and being deeply cheesed off at David Callaghan and Mig deciding to continue as Moonshake, despite having originally agreed not to.

CDlover likes this.
  13. KngCrmsn22

KngCrmsn22 Forum Resident

When The Black Crowes split in 2015, Chris Robinson and Adam MacDougall went to the Chris Robinson Brotherhood. Rich Robinson and Sven Pipien went to the Magpie Salute. Steve Gorman and Jackie Greene were already part of Trigger Hippy, but that was an existing side project.

AlienRendel likes this.
  14. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Amending my reply to acknowledge that the 1980 lineup of Yes split, more or less directly, into Asia (Howe & Downes) and Squire & White, who released one single as a duo before forming Cinema with Trevor Rabin, which then turned back into Yes after Jon Anderson joined.

Instant Dharma and Say It Right like this.
  15. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

In 2006, The Darkness split into Stone Gods (Dan Hawkins, Ed Graham, then-bassist Richie Edwards) and various Justin Hawkins fronted solo-in-disguise-bands like British Whale and Hot Leg, before they reformed in 2011.

16. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Queensryche and Ratt both experienced band splits accompanied by disputes over who owned the name - resulting in competing lineups touring under the same name at the same time. Someone mentioned Yes, so I think these count, too?

impalaboy, Sean and Lost In The Flood like this.
  17. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Creed split into Scott Stapp (solo) and Alter Bridge (with another singer).

Rage Against the Machine split into Zack de la Rocha (solo) and Audioslave (with Chris Cornell on vox).

ETA: @KDubATX beat me to it on the latter.

18. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Gene Loves Jezebel was formed in the early 80s by identical twins Jay and Michael Aston. By 1997, they had split off and formed two bands, both named Gene Loves Jezebel.
    • Jay agreed to tour as Gene Loves Jezebel in the U.K. and Jay Aston's Gene Loves Jezebel in the U.S.
    • Michael agreed to tour as Gene Loves Jezebel in the U.S. and Michael Aston’s Gene Loves Jezebel in the U.K.
    I believe they're still going at it to this day.

19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

How did this become about disputes over name ownership? :confused:

20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

A lot of people don't understand the thread. It isn't about name ownership or bands where a member goes solo and the other members carry on, or bands where one member joins/forms another band, or bands where members from 2 different groups join.

You need 1 band with at least 4 people. Band breaks up, at least 2 people join or form a new band, and at least 2 more people join or form another new band.

21. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Wally Bryson was also a member of Cyrus Erie. I saw him and Carmen, along with future Raspberries drummer Michael McBride, at a Cyrus Erie show in November 1969.

Bryson had also been a member of The Choir.

As noted, Smalley and Bonfanti left Raspberries to form Dynamite, but they never had anything other than local success in Cleveland.

Echo, Saint Johnny and rockerreds like this.
  22. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Lynyrd Skynyrd? Sorry couldn't resist :hide:

23. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Then before all that, Roy Wood and Rick Price (who played bass on the first ELO recordings and live performances, but whose bass parts were replaced by Wood on the LP) formed Wizzard and Lynne and Bevin went on with ELO.

jethrotoe, maui jim and Carlos B like this.
  24. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Steve Weber and Peter Stampfel were in the Fugs (as documented on Fugs 4 Rounders Score), then split as the Holy Modal Rounders while the Fugs continued with new players. For a while in there there was also The Holy Modal Rounders and the Unholy Modal Rounders (without Weber) although that's more squirrely.

25. LaurenLovesMusic

LaurenLovesMusic Barbecutie

I’m giving away my Cornish hippy heritage, but Gong split into two separate factions (Pierre Moerlen’s Gong and Planet Gong) then had a few sub-groups from that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.