Grover Huffman vs Audio Envy vs Black Cat

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by panasonicst60, May 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panasonicst60

panasonicst60 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I currently have mostly all PS Audio power cords(AC5 and Statement SC.) but have been looking to change them out to something different. Been looking around for a bit and ran across Audio Envy which captured my attention.

Besides power cords, I was looking at changing out my xlr aes/abu digital cable and xlr interconnects to either the Grover Huffman Pharaoh or Audio Envy. I currently have a diy dh labs silver sonic d-110 which sounds very good, but just looking for a change. For my xlr interconnects I currently have some custom made cryo pure silver with Teflon.

Has anyone had personal experiences with Grover, Audio Envy, and Black Cat Cable(over my budget)?

Scratcha and hi_watt like this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

What do you hope to accomplish with the cable change? And a more important question, have you optimized your room and speaker position? Your profile is empty so helping you requires information about your system and room, which is lacking. Without that info, folks will just be throwing baseless suggestions at you.

3. panasonicst60

I just updated my profile. To be honest, it's been a very long journey and for the first time, I'm very happy with my system right now. Not looking to change anything out besides the cables. My main goal in changing out my cables is to make it sound better of course (more detail, better soundstage, etc). Yes, I have optimized my room and speaker position. Here is a picture of my media room(also now as my avatar).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ejeMsPP3KjsNJ3yi9

Last edited: May 21, 2022
    Denizen23 and timind like this.
  4. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

That's a beautiful setup you have there , Love the room! I would look for some used PS Audio cables coming from the older line up back in the days I have all my favorites left in my setup. I was never really a fan of the AC5 but the AC3, 10 and 12 all have top to bottom coherence along with great inner detail, the Ac5 was just a tad to forward sounding in the mids. I've tried Shunyata's line up to the Delta NR , Audio Envy's power cable and the Beldon Iconclast but only one cable came some what close and that was an Clarity Cable "Vortex". So for powercables I would take look at Zaffino as well (Power Cables , I did try there XLR's and in the right setup they could be just what your looking for. After trying many different cables over the last few years and if I had a solid recommendation to give it would be.

Morrow Audio MA4 XLR's

Morrow SP4 speaker cables

Your solid on the DH Labs digital as I've not found better!

PS Audio AC12 or AC10 or a Clarity Cable Vortex

By the way I have an Rythmik F18se as well! wonderful sub :agree:

Khorn and panasonicst60 like this.
  5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Also agree. Impressive room from what we see.

panasonicst60 likes this.
  6. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Agree...nice room what is that your seeking in sound that your current cables are not giving you ?

Khorn and panasonicst60 like this.
  7. panasonicst60

Thanks for the cable list and compliment! I will definitely look into Clarity Cable Vortex.

Interesting observation on the AC5.

How would you describe your experience with Audio Envy? As I ordered two Oceans a few days ago already and will be here soon. What model did you have?

My only problem on buying used PS Audio power cords are the high chance of them being fake.

Yeah those Rythmiks are awesome! I do wish I got the matted finished though, as my taste has changed now with a dedicated room(not dedicated room before). I rather everything disappear when the lights are off.

Thank you! I put all my own blood, sweat, and tears making it. With all wires inwalls to the closet where all my gear is hidden. Building the DIY panels with REW to verify results. Last but not least, was running three dedicated 10ga Romex outlets.

Denizen23, gakerty and Khorn like this.
  8. Khorn

:edthumbs:

9. panasonicst60

I'm already happy with my setup. I am just a bit bored and was looking for something to change to be quite honest. I've had these power cords for the last seven years or so!

Maybe a little more clarity? Maybe?

Denizen23 and Rich-n-Roll like this.
  10. Rich-n-Roll

Is your system two channel or home theater ? also...When you say clarity what does that mean...? Is it lacking in the highs or midrange or both ?

11. Khorn

If you find cables you deem superior in synergy with your system that’s great.

I found cables that work well with my preferences in speaker/amp combinations and therefore have stayed with that maker for many years now. I’m happy with their sound attributes. Sure if I want to try other brands I’m sure I’d find something somewhere that might be more synergistic but that could be a never ending search.

I’ve found that the equipment itself is the best way to improve sound but for many that’s not always practical.

12. Audiofan1

Audiofan1 Forum Resident

It was the Ocean powercable and Onestian XLR's from Audio Envy I tried and was very impressed how they sounded out the box and after letting them settle the powercables cameout first and I left the XLR's in with my old powercable. My observation is yes they will have increased clarity in the midbass to upper treble but at the cost of lower midbass and bottom end extension ( this is the equivalent of turning down the bass and of course the upper midbass and trebble are highlighted or perceived as more detailed). I hear you 100% on the fakes out there for the PS Audio cables, I recently separated my 2/ch from HT and knew I needed a hard to find AC10 but was lucky enough to find one from a reputable seller al my others came from Music Direct when they first launched. If I had to choose between the Audio Envy and the Zaffino it would be the Zaffino's both seem to use the same OCC copper but I've come to find solidcore wire just sounds better to my ears.
    By the way as I'm sure you already know Captin is a great guy to deal with and the same can be said of Raymond from Zaffino.

latheofheaven and panasonicst60 like this.
  13. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

OCC copper is solid core wire (its not hollow).

14. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Audio envy has a 45 day return policy I believe and would happily read some more reviews as it’s hard to decipher out the bias with them sometimes

hi_watt and panasonicst60 like this.
  15. panasonicst60

Maybe a little highs.

True it could be a long neverending search. As there's also something out there a little bit better, especially for cables. I agree on the equipment changes, but not practical for me right now. However, if Dave at Ascend Acoustics does upgrade my towers and has a kit for it, I would jump on it.

Great breakdown! I do have the Oceans coming in so I'll give them a shot on my transport and preamp. Supposedly Captain newest model fixed the bass I believe (from what I've read). Was yours his newest model? What equipment did you use the power cables on? Maybe his bigger model the Mega would do better on amps(more bass). If the Oceans are great on my transport and preamp, I may get the Mega for my amps and sub. Just a thought. Depends on how the Oceans performs, I may go back to the drawing board and look into the brands you recommended. However most power cables are out of my budget. Not looking into spending over $300 and that's the reason I was so attracted to Audio Envy. Of course I can look into the used market, which is always my first choice, but sometimes these smaller brands are hard to come by on the used market.

When you stated, "Your solid on the DH Labs digital as I've not found better!" That's a bold statement! What have you tried? Is yours diy? If so, what xlr connectors did you go with and why? Mine are the trusty neutrik silver plated. Though about others but the $$$

hi_watt, Rich-n-Roll and Khorn like this.
  16. panasonicst60

Forgot to ask you these questions in my previous post. So what brand of cables do currently use? What have you tried?

17. Rich-n-Roll

Regarding your change in gear what is current setup consist of Speakers etc...?

18. panasonicst60

Everything is in my profile. Forgot to mention this is a dual used room. Home theater and 2channel music room

Digital Front End: Denafrips Avatar CD Transport
    Pre Amplifier:Emotiva XMC-2
    Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Raal Towers
    Amplification:Classe CT-5300
    Speaker Cables:Furez
    Interconnects:Custom Cryoed Pure Silver Teflon xlr, diy DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110 AES/EBU
    Other Accessories: PS Audio AC5 and PS Audio Statement SC
    Room Size:15' x 9.5' x 8'
    Additional Comments:3 dedicated outlets with 10ga romex with HBL5362 outlets

Edit: forgot to input my speakers

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  19. Rich-n-Roll

Nice, but it does not mention your speakers or am I missing something ?

20. panasonicst60

I'm in the process of getting speakers. Wanted to buy everything first and save the best for last. Lol jk. I forgot to input them. I have the Ascend Acoustics Raal Towers.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  21. Rich-n-Roll

Very nice and interesting in that they have a ribbon tweeters and you say your lacking highs ribbon tweeters are known for high properties your amp is five channel amp for which I understand would be used in a home theater setting not that matters.

22. panasonicst60

It's not lacking any highs. The speakers sound amazing detailed. Maybe it's just my personal preference at the moment to get the 1% more with cables.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  23. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

Save your money and buy a bottle Stabilant 22 and treat all your cable connections including power cords. I just did mine and it is a jaw dropping experience. You have no idea what your gear really sounds like. It's the $10,000 upgrade in a bottle. :righton:

Grootna and panasonicst60 like this.
  24. Rich-n-Roll

So you are running a home theater setup ? I'm one those that cannot hear a difference with cables, speaker wire or power cords but my best to you in your search for that quality soundstage you are seeking :)

25. panasonicst60

Snake oil in a bottle :)

Yes home theater set-up. I definitely can hear a difference with different cables. Power cables, definitely. Xlr and rca cables, definitely. Digital cables, a little bit(but haven't had that much experience with them). Speaker cables, no comment as I haven't tried many.

When I recently ran dedicated outlets with 10ga Romex, I was stunned at the difference it made to my sound quality. Everything was improved. What stood out most was the bass and the depth I got from my soundstage. Very amazing. That's the main reason I started to look into power cables again.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.