DCC Archive Growling garage greats...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

OK, a lotta stuff on this here board tends to focus on hi-fi type recordings that stereo folk like to show off their snazzy rigs with; I like to crank up those nutty misfits from the 60's who were the original punks (sorry all youse Ramones/Pistols dudes but Greg Shaw was right - punk rock really oughta be properly used when referring to sizzling sixties garage bands...). Anyhoo, I wanta know what moaxes you dig when you need a fix of fuzzed out zit monsters! My all time fave is Indianapolis' Sir Winston and the Commons We're Gonna Love on Soma - if you like fuzz guitar, you've gotta have this cause from the first note it's a fuzzfest by TWO guitar slingers - the snarly lyrics are icing on the cake! The Knaves' Leave Me Alone on Dunwich ranks a close second, and it's pretty swell in the sonic department (check out the blasting stereo remix on the Sundazed Dunwich comp - whoo it's good)... Last I'll toss in the legendary from Tacoma (real home of grunge 25 years before those Seattle bands tried to steal the grunge title from the undisputed kings) and He's Waitin' (good old Beelzebub gets his due - I'd kill to hear this one in stereo - anybody got a copy they can burn???)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The Trashmen: 45 RPM version of "Bad News"

3. indy mike

Whoa dad, Steve - been dipping into that crazy Trashmen boxed set again??? (yeah cats and kittens, there really is such a beast - Minnesotas' manic gear mashers cut a ton of stuff...) Let's start a cool surf tune thread after this garage gobbeldygook goes kaput... :D

4. indy mike

Oooops - forgot to mention the name o' the band for that last tune He's Waitin' - that'd be the Sonics (and I'd still be eternally grateful for some cdr's of their 2 lp's on Etiquette in STEREO - seems as though the Etiquette folks aren't letting the stereo tapes out of their mitts for some reason...)

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Actually Mike, I have the "trashed" 45 of "Bad News". Got it as a 35 cent cut out when I was a kid. I figured it would be as wacky as "Surfin' Bird" and I was right....

'Twas only when I was working on "Surf Legends" did I realize that they just stole "Church Key" by The Revels...

6. When I was in college in the late ‘60’s, I was in a band called Haymarket Square that cut an album in conjunction with the Baron and Bailey Light Show. The album never caught on in the U.S., but for some reason, it has become a cult album in Europe. Original pressings of the album are being sold in Europe for $2,000! I have one original pressing. I wish I had more. Believe me, I am not pushing the album, but it is available at Fab Gear Records. It does not have a “Growling” sound to it. It is more Psychedelic (drugs?????) in nature with long drawn out songs and a female lead singer.

7. indy mike

Yeah, Bad News and Church Key are from the same mold - both great to listen to after some adult beverages (hmmm, that Sam Adams in the coolerator is calling me!) I dug out my T-men comp on Sundazed this morning and about got a speeding ticket on my way to work - those guys rocked!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.