Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

This made me chuckle. Black Metal: A Coloring Book
    I'll try to remember it if I'm stuck in one of those diabolical amazon schemes where I need to spend $10 more for free shipping and I've been self-torture browsing for 45 minutes. :realmad:

[​IMG]

lenny nero, fuzzface and 100423 like this.
  2. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

I'm all in!!

Dreadnought likes this.
  3. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Ha! I have this one on bluray!

Dreadnought likes this.
  4. lenny nero

5. Dreadnought

No kidding. :righton: You must have a great movie library. Up here one of the commercials on TV is for provincial lottery tickets and although I rarely buy I did think for a full two minutes about what I'd do if I won a huge jackpot. That would be a Canadian jackpot, some millions, not nearly as large as you guys sometimes have. (In the 70s I thought it was hilarious how The Price is Right would give away a car and the way smaller budget Canadian game shows would give away a blender! :laugh: ). I'd open an independent movie theatre showing double bills of movies like Virgin Witch followed by something bigger. And good food for cheap. Profit be damned, a cultural oasis.

That Eucharist album Mirrorworlds from 1997 grew on me quickly. It does throw one back to the previous century and although much of the past sounds dated to me this is charming.

Like an iceberg breaking free and floating south, Sinmara put out another video for the coming album.

March 8, 2019

Oh yeah, and Krypts has something coming but no music yet. It's not even listed at Metal Archives yet.

[​IMG]

lenny nero and heathen like this.
  6. 100423

Icelandic bands are definitely the leaders in metal that I enjoy currently.

lenny nero and heathen like this.
  7. Dreadnought

I think they're at the forefront but more importantly they're laying down a sound suits me personally. It's what I want. Incidentally the whole Kaleikr album is now on youtube but I'm holding off listening again until I buy it Friday.

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  8. Dreadnought

"Old-School Death Metal" is a frequently used label but I don't know why "Old-School Black Metal" is not used for new albums that do the traditional sound. Or maybe it is and I'm not seeing it.
    Giving a go to this Old-School BM, including face paint, from Mary Tyler Moore Minneapolis, Minnesota. THIS IS BLASPHEMY, by Burning Bethlehem

[​IMG]

January 11, 2019

100423 and lenny nero like this.
  9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I think you’re right it’s the only place for the extended version of Centipede. I think it’s one the best SYL songs. It also has 3 songs from Punchdrunk who later released a full length as The Almighty Punchdrunk with Gene Hoglan on drums and Devin producing.

10. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

11. Dreadnought

Jeez that is a toe tapper. Catchy! I've bookmarked the bandcamp for Apr 12. Curious how this newfangled stuff turns out. Adore, by Numenorean

Maybe as there's not a great deal of activity in the record world I've gone into energy efficient semi-hibernation mode listening to sloooower stuff. Save my fat reserves for the spring and faster music.

deredordica, heathen and lenny nero like this.
  12. Dreadnought

Regarding Spectral Voice and utilizing the "similar bands" tab at Metal Archives, that never ever works out for me, I'll plunge into the top selection diSEMBOWELMENT. Intriguing: "an Australian death-doom band that formed in November 1989"......"In 1992 they issued an extended play, Dusk, on Relapse Records and followed with a studio album, Transcendence into the Peripheral, in 1993. They disbanded shortly thereafter – never having performed live." (<From wiki)

From the far corner of left field (feel free to disregard free ramble :laugh: ): whenever I try to think of a decent analogy for contemporary Metal I always end up with late 19th/ 20th century art's slide away from the representational to the abstract and confrontational. I've put that very grossly and as well just to be clear I know next to nothing about art. I graze the landscape with the education of a cow, wandering wherever my short attention span takes me. So...Francis Bacon got my attention a number of months ago and he seemed almost an ambassador for Black/Death Metal in portraying the unpalatable slices of life. It's the 1946 date which gets to me somehow and I'm curious what else was happening then artistically.

Francis Bacon. Painting. 1946 | MoMA : "Created in the immediate aftermath of World War II, Painting is an oblique but damning image of an anonymous public figure. The umbrella that partially obscures him might refer to Neville Chamberlain, the prewar British prime minister who was known for carrying one. His dark suit—the unofficial uniform of British politicians of the day—is punctuated by an incongruous bright yellow boutonniére, yet his deathly complexion and toothy grimace suggest a deep brutality beneath his proper exterior. In the background, three window shades evoke those found in an often-circulated photograph of Hitler's bunker, an image the artist included in multiple works. The sense of menace is accentuated by glaring colors and the cow carcasses suspended in a cruciform behind him, a motif drawn from Bacon's childhood fascination with butcher shops, but also a possible reference to Old Master treatments of the same subject."

Painting 1946 - Wikipedia : Bacon then attempted to paint a bird of prey landing in a field. Bacon described the work as his most unconscious, the figurations forming without his intention. In an interview with David Sylvester in 1962, Bacon recalls: " It came to me as an accident. I was attempting to make a bird alighting on a field. And it may have been bound up in some way with the three forms that had gone before, but suddenly the line that I had drawn suggested something totally different and out of this suggestion arose this picture. I had no intention to do this picture; I never thought of it in that way. It was like one continuous accident mounting on top of another."

"In 1991 pioneering metalcore band Integrity used Painting 1946 as the album art for their debut LP, Those Who Fear Tomorrow."

[​IMG]

nosliw and lenny nero like this.
  13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I just listened to Tiamat's Wildhoney. An awesome record.

CDV, Brenald79, Deuce66 and 2 others like this.
  14. lenny nero

I know I've posted that disembowelment before in this thread, but I couldn't find it using the search. The subsonic vocals are not quite the satanic burping but they're close.

Bacon is totally metal!!!

Dreadnought likes this.
  15. Dreadnought

No doubt you did.

Perfectly put. :righton: I'm going to order this small book which has the most user reviews. A whole 18! :D "Basic Art Series" is just my speed. https://www.amazon.com/Bacon-Basic-Art-Luigi-Ficacci/dp/3836559692 The great thing about art is that no matter how wtf it is upon first viewing, after reading an explanation it makes sense.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A video came out and I'm relieved. I was fearing it could be a New-Age disco dance number but instead it's a Black Floyd Saucer Full of Psycho! :cool:

Bought Kaleiker Heart Of Lead, by KALEIKR

Analyzed: KALEIKR / Heart Of Lead
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR7 -0.26 dB -10.05 dB 7:03 01-Beheld At Sunrise
    DR7 -0.25 dB -8.20 dB 8:10 02-The Descent
    DR7 -0.25 dB -9.15 dB 7:24 03-Of Unbearable Longing
    DR7 -0.25 dB -8.85 dB 6:29 04-Internal Contradiction
    DR7 -0.25 dB -8.61 dB 6:47 05-Neurodelirium
    DR7 -0.25 dB -10.77 dB 4:15 06-Heart Of Lead
    DR7 -0.25 dB -8.59 dB 7:51 07-Eternal Stalemate And A Never-ending Sunset
    Number of tracks: 7
    Official DR value: DR7
    Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 1629 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

Also available in convenient Maxi-size discs. :laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    nosliw, lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  16. lenny nero

Taschen makes awesome art and photography books, I have several!

This sounds great, definitely will be picking this one up.

Man that vinyl looks awesome, but I'm guessing it costs a pretty penny! If only they sold it at B&N where I can apply my member coupons! :cry:

Dreadnought and 100423 like this.
  17. 100423

Waste of Space Orchestra song is great!
    I'll pick up the Kaleikr later today.

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  18. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

New Rotting Christ out today. Very tasty.

lenny nero, 100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  19. Dreadnought

I was listening earlier in the week. I'd really like one song then be disinterested on the next. I bailed because I'm so impatient. During one of the good songs I thought "this is who Behemoth will become". Anyway, according to Blayne I need to devote a bunch of listens to it. Maybe later.

lenny nero likes this.
  20. TheJosh

TheJosh Forum Resident

I still have that Punchdrunk CD along with the Zimmer's Hole discs. Good stuff!

Brenald79 likes this.
  21. Dreadnought

Marking the calendar for this Black Metal. Extra energetic and rhythmic. The video track is too peppy for me at first but becomes better after 4 minutes and I'll cross my fingers. I really like the ending.
    Pre-order - Triumphant Master of Fates, by Vimur

From Atlanta, Georgia
    March 1, 2019

Wish I could go.

[​IMG]

lenny nero likes this.
  22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Nice, I have all those as well. I love story of how Zimmers Hole came up with the song and album title: at a party David Vincent from Morbid Angle was telling a guy from Forbidden he’s more metal than him. The guy from Forbidden tells him “while you shouting at the devil we were in league with Satan” lol. The video for the song rules.

lenny nero likes this.
  23. lenny nero

My lastest haul:

Belphegor ~ Blood Magick Necromance
    Sodom ~ Decision Day

Also pulled this one out of the archives, haven't listened to it in years:

Dreadnought and fuzzface like this.
  24. 100423

25. lenny nero