Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

"touring, prison, falling in love" :cool:

It was bound to happen eventually that I'd bump into a toxic ideology guy. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner than this. I think the chances of these encounters within Metal are the same as they are within butterfly collecting circles. Jerks are everywhere.

Not bad. I can't find a bandcamp for this so not sure what I'll do. Take my horse and buggy out to the haberdashery for a wax cylinder of Old Star? :p

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    lenny nero likes this.
  3. Dreadnought

I remember the cover so I have at least sampled this in the past. Nothing pops up through search. Anyway, I've been listening to it and like it. DR9 which is a pleasant surprise. Quite three-dimensional sounding. Especially the drums.

Dec 8, 2018.

lenny nero likes this.
  4. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

Has anybody heard any of the recent Osmose vinyl reissues of the early Enslaved and Immortal albums? Specifically Frost, Eld, Battles In The North and Blizzard Beasts.

I'm thinking of getting some to fill some gaps but won't bother if they don't sound that great.

5. Dreadnought

Very unlikely. I think only one guy here has a turntable. I did a google and found this regarding "Osmose vinyl reissues". I hope it's the right answer.
    Nuclear War Now! Productions :: View topic - Quality of OSMOSE LP reissues

lenny nero likes this.
  6. Dreadnought

Listened to the whole Darkthrone album last night and went to sleep with a grumbling inner monologue about it being dull. Then the very thought of it this morning had the melody of The Hardship of the Scots bob-along in my head so maybe I'm wrong and it's a grower. To be continued.

Deuce66 and lenny nero like this.
  7. Dreadnought

lenny nero likes this.
  8. Dreadnought

9. Dreadnought

Been getting into this Progressive Death by some young fellas from Champaign, Illinois. At first I was put off by seemingly not accomplished vocals by more than one vocalist but the fluency of the instruments kept me from the dreaded delete. Now after some time I'm not bothered anymore.

[​IMG]

Apr 5, 2019.

lenny nero likes this.
  10. Dreadnought

A very beguiling article at Invisible Oranges had me visit this album by Spectral Lore. The Cosmic Gnosis of Spectral Lore: Ayloss Reflects on His Black Metal Masterpiece “III” I must have fell victim yet again to insufficient meditation as I know I've listened to this band before but own nothing by them. And tellingly, during one listen to this when my need for instant gratification was high I couldn't continue. This Post-Black Metal Psychedelia might be up @100423's alley. It has grown on me this past week. A thing for particular moods. The link on the video is One Man Bands with the headline "One Man Bands Because One is enough!" That made me smile. I'm also surprised that this is a one man band. I'd have never guessed it as they too often sound one-dimensional.

And I never can resist a nice design and ordered this shirt. I liked the brownish colour and round design more than the standard square white.

[​IMG]

100423, sathvyre and lenny nero like this.
  11. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

^^^ Love that Hellhammer art! Great iconic image from the early days. Where'd you get it from?

sathvyre and Dreadnought like this.
  12. lenny nero

I dig this one, only $1 for the digital album.

[​IMG]

One man band I believe:
    Fave bandcamp description:

100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  13. Dreadnought

"Iconic" was the very word I had in mind. Ordered from here and I know nothing about them. I looked at "Contact" and there was no address. Unseenchaos bigcartel Products Crossing fingers. :)

$1! :righton: I might bite.

Auditioning this head-banging stuff.

[​IMG]

May 25

lenny nero likes this.
  14. Dreadnought

@Deuce66 , you okay buddy? :laugh:

New single Release date: July 05, 2019

100423, Deuce66 and lenny nero like this.
  15. Dreadnought

Thread life-support post. Not surprising that plunking a contemporary heavy music gallery into the museum of yesteryear would have little traffic. And a sushi-fusion bar would go out of biz next to a senior citizen's home. Although there could be another ever popular "1982 Heavy Metal was the best" thread again.
    Saxon anyone? OMG. :doh:

Anyway, carrying on, I got a chuckle out of the clever and entertaining Blayne giving a devastating review from a year and a half ago. I do love his bit about after 30 years aren't you supposed to be better. :laugh:

lenny nero likes this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Not feeling it...kind of like Darkthrone, too many tire tracks in that snow, need to find a new field.

17. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Sorry I've been mia lately. I might have cool giveaway for you all in a few. Stay tuned...

Dreadnought and lenny nero like this.
  18. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

I haven't been GRRRRing much the past couple of weeks., I've been wandering down other darkened alleys, but I thought I'd pop in and see what was happening.

You can call me John, less typing. :D

Yeah, I'm a fan of much of Spectral Lore's output. III is likely the best of the bunch, but perhaps a bit too long for me. It flows really well though, so I don't know what I would take out. He has a couple of EPs that are 40-45 minutes which is generally the length of album I enjoy for my attention span. :cool:
    Thanks for the article, that was a good read!

Dreadnought and lenny nero like this.
  19. Dreadnought

I confess I think I'm suffering some burn-out myself. Some lack of enthusiasm regarding the recent abundance of
    And the lack of excellence of late. The only thing to do is ease off and rest.

Off topic a bit: also, SH can be downright pitiful to browse; if I see one more thread grappling with the loss of cultural relevance. Jeez, man up and accept that all your cultural treasures are presently being entered into the dustbin of history. Oblivion for every album you loved. Just play the song "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Let it Be". The good news is only another decade or two (maybe three) and no more hand wringing. :evil:
    That means who cares what the world likes, enjoy what you like.

I'm glad I was right about Spectral Lore. I could start a musical matchmaking service! Thanks John. :righton:

I found out where it's coming from.
    En Route
    Thu, June 6, 2019 at 5:49 AM

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Deuce66 and lenny nero like this.
  20. lenny nero

Regarding the lack of Grrrr....to me it just seems that there is not that many new releases coming out this year. At this point last year, I had already bought close to 15 new releases, as opposed to this year, where I have bought 4 so far. It seems every band that I enjoy released a new one last year, and now is the in between time. Which is ok with me, and especially, my wallet. I don't have anything on my want list past the new Tomb Mold coming next month.

Dreadnought likes this.
  21. lenny nero

love this cover art

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also love their band names

Dreadnought likes this.
  22. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Finally got the two UADA albums. Killer stuff. I really liked it. Now on to the Deathspell Omega discography. I like what I've heard so far. And to top it off, the new King Crimson box showed up today. Sigh...

Dreadnought, 100423 and lenny nero like this.
  23. lenny nero

Blayne, in his Hooded Menace cap, takes on the new Darkthrone

Dreadnought and 100423 like this.
  24. Dreadnought

The whole DSO discography and a 24 disc boxset! I'll pray for you. :laugh:

I think I'm the only person who is unmoved by it.

Yeah it's small year. Although I've scaled back my excursions I can't think of what else to do during my 20 minute two coffee mornings but take a look around.

I like this. I don't have a bandcamp link.

July 5, 2019

lenny nero likes this.
  25. Dreadnought

Their only output has been a demo and an EP which were later packaged in one.

lenny nero likes this.