Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

More of off topic :D
    I was browsing Dark Descent Records with some wonderment about how many albums I like a lot there and tried this. Traditional high-falutin' 80's style vocals epic heavy rock. Nearly everything new which is that style I'm allergic to. It's derivative and dull. The Big Mac of Metal. And yet I kept listening. It's effort to be soaring and noble I thought sincere, as in there is no other way for this song to be. That sentence doesn't make a lot of sense but I mean the song had a natural path. Interesting looking at Metal Archives, Solstice (very cool name given their sound) have albums in 1994, 1998 and this in 2018. Investigation is on. White Horse Hill, by Solstice

March 14, 2018

Even more OT!
    I got an MP3 player for marching. Went with a cheapie $35 unit but spent $50 on better buds and to my shock they sit comfortably in my ears without threatening to fall out. They sound decent. I've had to adjust my already vigilant crossing of streets though. With Solstice I can foresee longer, stronger strides! :laugh:

https://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-Isolating-Headphones-Microphone-Gunmetal/dp/B07K2LHB1J
    https://www.amazon.com/AGPTEK-A20S-Recorder-Expandable-Headphone/dp/B07JZ7K89K

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  2. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I really dig the Solstice album I have.

Dreadnought and lenny nero like this.
  3. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

I'm still using a 10 year old 160gb ipod, one with a click wheel and spinning hard drive! I burn my stuff as apple lossless and put it on the ipod like that and plug it into the the usb port on my Teac cd player and hit shuffle. Sounds great!

Dreadnought likes this.
  4. Dreadnought

:cool: I use stuff 'til it dies. My player can do lossless and I was going to for the sake of ease, save myself the trouble of converting FLAC to MP3 320, but did do the mp3 and glad I did as it got half filled in one upload session.

K is for Krolok

deredordica and lenny nero like this.
  5. lenny nero

K if for Khemmis

Dreadnought and 100423 like this.
  6. lenny nero

K is for Kreator

Brenald79, Dreadnought and 100423 like this.
  7. Dreadnought

Summer fashion notes from these industrious Australians in a fashionable video. This song from an upcoming album. They just put out an album last January 31st. I'll have to listen to it.

lenny nero likes this.
  8. Dreadnought

Deadspace a band that seems a bit narcissistic regarding images, Is there a second of not the singer in his guise? I didn't watch the album I listened to it and during songs one and two (not including the intro) I thought it might be the best straight Black Metal album of the year so far. Not really "straight" aggression as it's full of atmospheric flourishes and poetics. Downright Gothic and it's done really well. Then during songs 4-8 I fell off the bandwagon as each song was a full measure less. I pictured this Black Metal for 14 year old girls, more about cosmetics and affectation than music. There's some redemption in the final song. The vocalist is very talented and there's an abundance of useful audio debris carefully placed everywhere. Being a young band with members aged 22-26 they might do something grand some day. Four albums in four years is pretty good pace, or normal in the good old days.

Worst The Seventh Seal parody video ever. It's best to just look away. :uhhuh:

lenny nero likes this.
  9. Dreadnought

Took a peek and yeah they have the visuals down for live-ish video. This is that final song of some redemption.

lenny nero likes this.
  10. Dreadnought

L is for Lurker of Chalice

Letter L is weak.
    This thing casts a spell upon me. And I just saw the Seinfeld episode wherein Elaine's boyfriend gets that look when Desperado plays.

[​IMG]

The song's resignation, weariness and sorrow might have a place in an arty reboot of The Omen such as Susperia had. "turning man against his brother, till man exists, no more".

deredordica and lenny nero like this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Opeth - teaser

lenny nero, Dreadnought and 100423 like this.
  12. lenny nero

Mike, I know you overlooked this one...we'll forgive you just this once for overlooking Canada's finest!

directed by David Fincher and you can see Traci Lords at the 14 second mark.

deredordica and Dreadnought like this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'll go with this one for an underground "L".

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  14. Dreadnought

More of the same and that's a good thing. I don't think Opeth can make an outright bad album. Looking forward to their next ten. :laugh:

That clickbait is pure brain-eating virus! Traci tho....:)
    Curious, she looks fine in her maturity. Good for her. :righton:
    Nov. 2, 2017
    [​IMG]

I almost went with Leviathan, which you introduced me to. Lurker of Chalice is related though.

For the number of times I've lately hit up Ataraxy's last album it had me think about their debut EP and album which needed the dust blown off and given a spin. A full blown rusted pipes fest. Please don't call the plumber.

lenny nero, 100423 and Deuce66 like this.
  15. Dreadnought

16. Dreadnought

17. Dreadnought

lenny nero likes this.
  18. Dreadnought

19. Dreadnought

Oh yeah....today is Canada Day. Be sure to tip your cap northward, eh.

[​IMG]

lenny nero, 100423 and Deuce66 like this.
  20. lenny nero

Happy Canada Day Hosers! We'll honor this occasion with one of your handsomest!!!

[​IMG]

Brenald79, Deuce66 and Dreadnought like this.
  21. Dreadnought

:edthumbs:
    I'm completely fascinated by that helmet. I don't remember it. I can see it's too small for him, haha. I got him beat. And not by just any goon but the award winner for best defenseman last year. Although at 6'5" 230lbs he could be both theoretically.

[​IMG]

lenny nero likes this.
  22. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

The joys of wandering into a used record store with no shopping list.

I spent ages scouring through several densely packed racks of metal, none of which I'd ever heard of, but judging by the covers and band names, the majority would fit right in here.

In the end, Giger's artwork, nice bookstyle packaging and a familiarity with Celtic Frost, led me to Triptykon's Melana Chasmata album. And demonically good it is too!

[For those of you in the UK, the record store was Newcastle's Beatdown Records - very nice staff, a loyalty card scheme, and a terrific choice of all genres of music.]

Brenald79, 100423, lenny nero and 2 others like this.
  23. Dreadnought

M is for Malignance
    I love some eccentricity.

100423 and lenny nero like this.
  24. Dreadnought

Among the wealth of letter M I saw My Dying Bride which I've not listened to since this album came out 13 years ago. Quickly surveying all their albums they don't appeal to me any more. Much too egocentric and piteous, and musically plodding. (An unwritten rule? Metal can not be so self-centered). They have very, very fine moments though. This was the last song they did that I liked but what I really liked was the line after 4:54 "Darkness comes, right-on time" with the second part almost a southern twang to it. Certainly American sounding. It's a very fine line.

100423 and lenny nero like this.
  25. Dreadnought

I'm ashamed to say I don't know the album much at all. That needs to be rectified toot-sweet! Jeez I miss record stores.

Deuce66 and lenny nero like this.