Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

I'll be seeing them in a about a month!

Deuce66 and Dreadnought like this.
  2. lenny nero

[​IMG]

Dreadnought likes this.
  3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Another new Opeth song. I liked this one right away.

lenny nero likes this.
  4. Dreadnought

Hey 200 pages of Grrrrr-inferno! :cool:

[​IMG]

Thanks to you guys, guardians of Metal and defenders of the faith.
    :hugs:

[​IMG]

5. lenny nero

200 pages of eeeevvvviilllll and ssssssaaaaayyyyyyyttttttaaaaaannnnnnnn!!!!!

[​IMG]

drevil, Brenald79, Deuce66 and 3 others like this.
  6. Dreadnought

More restore your faith in humanity video. Before or after a wrestling match the kids are still alright goofing around at Union Station. :love:

lenny nero and Deuce66 like this.
  7. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

8. Dreadnought

It's a substantial article. I never bought Rolling Stone much back in the day (didn't like the larger format for one thing) choosing the grittier Creem, Hit Parader and Rock Scene instead but that was the 70's not 80's. I'm glad they wrote about what a rotten upbringing he had and that he chose music over mayhem. I dare say I'm not surprised he continues to be serious minded and will unfortunately be so afflicted until the end, such is our spongy self when young and imprinted by boot or high-heel.

"his mother was a cat hoarder and a diamond smuggler who would leave him unattended for weeks at a time to live in his own squalor until she returned. Because of this, he felt like an outcast. He started playing guitar in his late teens, played in a few bands and generally took out his frustration on his instrument."

"In a 2007 Metal Hammer interview, Warrior recalled playing Venom’s “In League With Satan” single on 33 r.p.m. instead of 45 to make it heavier — “That was basically the birth of Hellhammer.”

"He says he could see Triumph of Death possibly putting out live albums in the future or maybe even trying to record new music in the style of Hellhammer. For him, the reception is a vindication. “We were so shunned, so to stand onstage at festivals in front of 15,000 people and play these songs is mindblowing,” he says. “That’s more than the capacity of the biggest stadium in my hometown. If you would have told the people who were in Hellhammer in 1982, they would’ve never believed you.”

lenny nero, craigobau and Brenald79 like this.
  9. Dreadnought

Another track from the Melo-Death Eternal Storm. I'm liking it though I don't usually like the sub-genre. It's accomplished and confident. I'll have to close my eyes and imagine I'm before a fireplace with pipe and slippers while my loyal raccoon Beauregard is at my feet cracking pistachios for me.

Aug 23

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  10. Dreadnought

If this laid-back Sunday melody sat up and wriggled to the forefront of my head in the midst of a night errand on bustling streets of a thousand blinding headlights then it must be worthy of posting. A Sanity Deranged, by Nightfell

Sept 13

lenny nero likes this.
  11. lenny nero

listening to this one today

100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  12. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Diocletian just released their new album, Amongst The Flames Of A Burning God, through Profound Lore Records. Killer black-death/war metal music right there.

100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  13. Dreadnought

I listened to their two previous albums and they're not good. The same formulas as this new album but the new one is much better. The two songs available are much better anyway.

A great photo that caught my eye of Black Metal band Zuriaake from China. I can see a whole thing with Chinese supernatural mythology happening. Too bad I didn't like the music much on a single pass.

[​IMG]

lenny nero likes this.
  14. Dreadnought

I purchased the Cruickshank album for $5. Really meant for a straight Rock fan and maybe an album of the year in that category. It's a dreadful DR4.

Brenald79 and lenny nero like this.
  15. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Sorry man, don’t get this genre at all, I’ve tried to listen repeatedly and tried some of the clips posted here and can’t make for more than 30 seconds. I’m coming from Sabbath roots back on the day which I guess laid the foundation for this stuff but I have to say I can hardly tell one track / band from another. It all sounds the same.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Can you provide examples of other metal bands that you like, we should be able to steer you in the proper direction if you want to discover new stuff. The black/death metal genre is so fragmented with different genres that it's easy to go down the rabbit hole.

Dreadnought and patient_ot like this.
  17. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

I think several of us grew up with the older school style of metal (I'm 54, so I started listening to metal/hard rock in the '70s).
    Lots of knowledgeable Grrrrranimals here to be take advantage of if you are on a quest...

Dreadnought, loudinny and Deuce66 like this.
  18. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Sure...
    Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin, Rush (early), Priest, Motörhead, UFO, Uriah Heep, Dio, Rainbow, Michael Schenker, Talas, Whitesnake (early), Scorpions (early).

19. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

This would be a good example

Bolin Coverdale Paice Lord Hughes

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Melodic death metal might be your thing. In Flames, Amon Amarth, Soilwork, Amorphis.

Dreadnought and loudinny like this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Except for Talas these are all staples, at what point did you lose interest in pursuing new metal/hard rock? There's an awful lot of ground to cover before diving into where metal is at in 2019.

Dreadnought likes this.
  22. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Big Talas fan by the way, had the pleasure of seeing them on countless occasions on the northeast bar circuit going back to the 70’s. Actually just saw them (Mk II version) again back in March for the first time in over 30 years.

As far as losing interest... Kind of shows my age ;0) Probably when harder music took a turn for the worse with hair metal. At that point I went down the blues rabbit hole when SRV released Texas Flood.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Dreadnought, Deuce66 and 100423 like this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A lot of ground - that's an understatement! Though I think as far as the development of metal and particularly extreme metal not too much new ground has been broken since the late 90s.

For @loudinny, I suggest you backtrack to the 80s, it wasn't all cock rock and hair metal. Plenty of bands were playing traditional heavy metal then and there are even revival acts now such as Eternal Champion et. al. You can go on a site like RYM and look at the charts for different metal genres in the 80s. Plenty of non-mainstream acts were carrying the torch during the hair metal years.

Dreadnought, nosliw, Deuce66 and 2 others like this.
  24. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Speaking of Eternal Champion, have a listen to this one:

You can also check this 300+ page thread of recommended heavy metal/hard rock thread right here: The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

You might want to start with the Heavy Metal Albums Wiki list(s) - starting with 1980, you can move forward from there. All of the important releases are listed. As you progress you'll see that the number of releases grows exponentially, you can thank Pro Tools and a very DIY attitude for that. Almost everything is on Youtube so you can sample to your hearts content. Good Luck.

1980 in heavy metal music - Wikipedia

Dreadnought, nosliw and loudinny like this.