Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

After that bitter sweetness I need something Hideous yet Divine. A Machine Head cover, bonus track.

Hideous Divinity 2019

Brenald79 and lenny nero like this.
  2. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Always knew you attended renn fairs!

[​IMG]

deredordica, fdsfd and Dreadnought like this.
  3. Dreadnought

That's me doing a jig on my way out from work! The villain skulking in the background in red is me going into work eight hours earlier. :D

[​IMG]

Great news! :cool:
    Abbath cancels more tour dates, going to rehab
    Former Immortal frontman Abbath Doom Occulta recently cut an Abbath show short after reportedly being drunk on stage, and then cancelled the remainder of the Abbath tour due to “health issues.” Now, he has issued a statement saying that he’s been battling addiction and will be going to rehab, and needs to cancel the December tour with his Motörhead tribute band Bömbers as a result. Fortunately, he assures us that Abbath’s Europe and North American 2020 tours — including the Decibel Magazine tour with Mayhem (which also includes Decibel Metal & Beer Fest) — are still on. Here’s his full statement:

Bergen, 25th of November 2019,
    Outstriders,

Throughout life you’re dealt different decks of cards. I’ve been fortunate enough to have been given the opportunity to live my dream, which is writing music, putting out records and touring the world, playing to fans all over the globe. For the most part it has been a tremendous ride, but there’s also been moments where things have gone wrong. Most notably during the recent tour of South America, where we had to cancel shows in Argentina and Brazil.

It’s no secret that I’ve been battling addiction. I have now come to realize that it’s time to pick a fight with this demon. I’ve committed myself to a rehab program that’s going to help me get clean once and for all. I feel more motivated and determined than ever to win this battle.

Due to my program, we need to cancel the December shows that we have scheduled with my other band, Bömbers. We do apologize to our fans that was looking forward to these shows. We will make it up to all of you, and we’re currently working on rescheduling these shows.

Right now I’m very much looking forward to be coming back clean, stronger and more focused and fired up than ever.

Europe and USA, you have been warned, we’ll hunt you down like a thunderstorm next year. Nothing is going to stop us.

Horns up!
    Abbath

deredordica, lenny nero and Deuce66 like this.
  4. lenny nero

deredordica, fdsfd, nosliw and 2 others like this.
  5. Dreadnought

That is so awesome. Love it on so many levels. Plain disobedience is one. The others aren't looking meaning it wasn't set up with lots of tries.

deredordica and lenny nero like this.
  6. Dreadnought

Hot damn! What a beautiful song and powerful video. The sorrowful clean singing in the beginning and end sounds like Bowie to me. Even if the song doesn't appeal the "film" is worth a look. Definitely one of the best of the year.

November 29

deredordica, 100423, Deuce66 and 2 others like this.
  7. Dreadnought

^^^^^^^ Just two important notes. This song is the album closer and the outro in the video is 40 seconds and the outro on the studio track is 2 minutes. It's the longest fade out I can remember and has the affect of slowly receding into the distance. I listen and strain to grasp the details to the bitter end as it's full of beauty with soaring female vocals. Death Atlas, by Cattle Decapitation

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    lenny nero likes this.
  8. lenny nero

^^^I have a couple of their old cds, I forget which, I need to revisit them.

Dreadnought likes this.
  9. Dreadnought

I have the 2015 The Anthropocene Extinction but I don't remember anything on it nearly as poignant as this. I should listen to it again as there's some reason I kept it instead of ditching it.

10. Dreadnought

I listened to Anthropocene and it's really good but there is nothing as great as that last track on the new one. I saw that Angry Metal Guy reviewer gave it a 2.5/5. I disagree hehe.

The 20 Best Metal Albums of 2019 according to Popmatters
    20. Copperhead – Gazing in the Dark
    19. Drastus – La Croix de Sang
    18. Ossuarium – Living Tomb
    17. Have a Nice Life – Sea of Worry
    16. Dawn Ray’d – Behold Sedition Plainsong
    15. Yellow Eyes – Rare Field Calling
    14. Necropanther – The Doomed City
    13. Vimur – Triumphant Master of Fates
    12. PH – Osiris Hayden
    11. Blood Incantation – Hidden History of the Human Race
    10. Lord Mantis – Universal Death Church
    9. Immortal Bird – Thrive on Neglect
    8. Exhorder – Mourn The Southern Skies
    7. Esoteric – A Pyrrhic Existence
    6. Tomb Mold – Planetary Clairvoyance
    5. Baroness – Grey and Gold
    4. Inter Arma – English Sulphur
    3. Sunn O))) – Life Metal/Pyroclasts
    2. BIG|BRAVE – A Gaze Among Them
    1. Waste of Space Orchestra – Syntheosis

I have four, Tomb Mold, Blood Incantation, Vimur, Ossuarium.
    I took an odd way in to Blood Incantation. Like a yoga, meditation session I listened to Jimi Hendrix's "Machine Gun" to slow down my heart rate and head of cabbage brain synapses and started the Blood album with the 18 minute last track. Seemed to work as I got into it easy. (Of course my heart rate slowed. I just sat there doing nothing!) :laugh:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    lenny nero likes this.
  11. Dreadnought

I like it though for some reason I thought of if the local news weatherman were to recite the weather with this voice. Maybe in a still functioning post-apocalypse world. I might have to take a break from Cattle Decapitation.
    Tragediens Trone, by TRAGEDIENS TRONE
    Nov 29

lenny nero likes this.
  12. lenny nero

Saw some poster's review of this over on the metal archives board that made me giggle"

:winkgrin:

Dreadnought likes this.
  13. lenny nero

I have 4 of these too! Blood Incantation, Esoteric(prolly my disc o da year), Tomb Mold(thanks Mike!), and Ossuarium.

Dreadnought likes this.
  14. lenny nero

happy turkey day you canuck bastids!

[​IMG]

Dreadnought likes this.
  15. Dreadnought

I saw similar comments at AMG. They'd reference earlier albums but I don't have that burden. I have a fresh take. :cool:

I was going to take a crack at that but sweet unholy molasses it's an hour and 38 minutes long! I'll give it a try...for a bit.

Same to you buddy and all our southern neighbours. :)

lenny nero likes this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I have 5 of them.
    Blood Incantation - it's on the way
    Tomb Mold
    Inter Arma - very disappointed with this one
    Sunn O))) - Life Metal only
    Waste of Space Orch.

Others I've given a fair listen to include Ossuarium, Vimur, Baroness the rest?? I have no idea, probably missed them in the deluge of releases currently plaguing metal and all other genres.

Dreadnought likes this.
  17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Nuclear Blast recently reissued all 9 Hypocrisy studio albums on CD. Finally back in print!

Dreadnought likes this.
  18. Scourge

Scourge The Contagion in Nine Steps

Esoteric is long, but it's a very meticulously executed album and worth every second spent.

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  19. Dreadnought

I listened to the whole thing and it is a great album. It was the "Funeral Doom titans ESOTERIC return with" written on their bandcamp that had me expect a slow crawl but it's not. It's way spacey, atmospheric and upbeat. Vangelis crossed my mind once during a rockin' Blade Runner part. And when those whirlwinds subside in come big classic rock guitars like after 17:30

lenny nero likes this.
  20. lenny nero

I'm glad you dig it, even with its epic length!

Some Isahn news for ya'll

Dreadnought, fuzzface and 100423 like this.
  21. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

New (2019) Oneiric Eclipse EP from my hometown (Santa Rosa, California). Recalls earliest Enslaved.

Dreadnought, lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  22. Dreadnought

It's an odyssey and an ordeal. I've dived into it a half dozen times for 30 minute periods. It's tough to work with because of the length.

Beardo does Cattle Decapitation. Given how animated his hands are I think he should also sign language the review.

lenny nero likes this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

and Slayer calls it a day, a band that by any definition was always the most extreme of the Big 4

24. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

My tastes are more toward black metal and some melodeath rather than tech death metal or deathgrind, so I haven't really listened to much Cattle Decapitation before, but I've been hearing such good things about Death Atlas that I gave it a couple listens last night. Damn, it's good! Some black metal parts to make me happy and the vocals are just nuts, I love all the different music and vocal styles that are incorporated. I think I'll be buying this one.

Dreadnought and 100423 like this.
  25. Dreadnought

I'm nuts over the last song (with second last song as the intro). The third last fits well, slowing the tempo of the album down before the finale of lament and planetary doom. I took a trip through the previous album and it's fairly relentless aggression. I like this 2019 album much more.

Song #12

100423 and lenny nero like this.