Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

2. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Abduction – A Crown of Curses
    UK
    One-man mid-fi black metal from England.
    Muddy mix (vocals suffer most), but most of it comes through decently. There is actually a lot going on here. It would help if the soundstage was more open, but as it is a rather claustrophobic maelstrom of wickedness. Lots of interesting things you might pick up on with repeated listens. Not ground-breaking by any means, but a rather solid album. At times haunting and at others punishing. Reminiscent of simpler ‘90s BM, but with more dissonance perhaps. Not something I would recommend to someone dipping their toes into the BM pool, but for those that have already dove into the deep end, definitely deserving of repeated listenings.
    GRRR

lenny nero, 100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Playing the debut which is already five years old. One of those TOV songs where the last 60-70% is an outro. This one with a well done movie dub. Maybe that it's placed deep in the track and well integrated that it seems very natural. Much better than tacked cheaply on the front trying for affect. I wonder what movie it is from? Actually it doesn't seem like it's from a movie. Maybe it's a band member or friend.
    "It begins in a grave. In a grave. A freshly dug grave. My grave. Buried alive. How did it happen? I remember now. I remember".

Beautiful song Grrrrr

lenny nero likes this.
  4. lenny nero

Another best o' the last decade list, this time from the members of the Encyclopaedia Metallum forum

100423, Brenald79 and Deuce66 like this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Oneiromancer, by Bismarck

Bismarck alternates between intense fuzzed out heaviness and clean, atmospheric drones, with lyrics expounding upon Western esotericism, altered states of consciousness and a mystical apocalypse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dreadnought, lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  6. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

How did Rush - Clockwork Angels end up on that list? :D

Sounds promising. I look forward to checking it out later.

Dreadnought, Deuce66 and lenny nero like this.
  7. lenny nero

Blayne tells us what buy

Dreadnought likes this.
  8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

A&P Reacts is my favourite YouTube channel for reviews and reactions. They review every major metal album and react for all pre-album singles. He does reviews by himself and has his side-kick join for reactions. Lots of huge guests for interviews.

9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Behemoth reaction:

10. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Abigail/Inferno Requiem
    Metal Bitch Violator/Conqueror of the Golden Horde - split
    Japan/Taiwan
    Abigail MBV up first
    Wait… what… wait… what? WTF???
    Did someone turn early Ween (Common Bitch, perhaps) into a crazy extreme metal song? Geez… It sure seems that way (and that is not a good thing). Of course, I am just kidding. But barely. Ween “GodWeenSatan” was literally the FIRST thing that came into my mind when this started up. But wait, there’s MORE! Thrashy old-school wanky solos.
    Abigail says they are “the most evil band in Japan” and mainman Yasayuki Suziki has called their sound “Street Metal”. In light of finding that this out, Abigail makes much more sense. Not really my thing, but I can dig it a bit. It does sound like it was recorded in a garage…from down the street (but decently at that). Semi-fun at least. Their logo is the best part.
    GRR

Inferno Requiem is a one-man outfit. This split is lo-to-mid-fi. Could have definitely used better production, but if you like it loud and rough and abrasive then this is for you! I would say pretty standard mid-to-fast tempo BM but some “little” things stood out (like some of the cymbal dings in the first song or some of the bass-lines). For the most part it is competent, but not great. I kind of liked the gargly vocals though. If you need a non Chthonic band from Taiwan to round out your collection, check this guy out.
    GRR1/2

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  11. Dreadnought

^^^^^^ Love the review, don't like the album. :)

100423 and fuzzface like this.
  12. Dreadnought

Attention space cadets this wacky offering is for those who wake up in an Italian movie theatre still influenced by whatever wiped them out in the first place. Black metal with Italian instruments I've not heard before. Federico Fellini Black Metal for freaks and weirdos (yes, you). See NCS for the 23 minute song #4. La Tavola Osca (I Atto) AN NCS ALBUM PREMIERE (AND A REVIEW): DAWN OF A DARK AGE - "LA TAVOLA OSCA" - NO CLEAN SINGING

It comes to mind that Ennio Morricone passed. Do these unsurpassable giants exist anymore? The big 60's guys. Muhammad Ali was another. Unassailable of stature in their field.

[​IMG]

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  13. lenny nero

new Enslaved

cjefferys, Deuce66, 100423 and 3 others like this.
  14. lenny nero

Some blasphemous Italian dm to get yer weekend started off right

fuzzface and Dreadnought like this.
  15. Dreadnought

Under the radar I think but in listening to the full album I tired of it pretty quickly so maybe it's unworthy of being clocked by radar. The best thing on this 2020 album is the deliciously evil opening of this song. The ending is okay too.

Endless Wound, by Black Curse

lenny nero likes this.
  16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

New Kataklysm. Freaky video.

17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm listening to this on TIDAL along with Homebound, sounds decent enough, their music is still heavily compressed (my VU meters don't move all that much) however they aren't pinned deep into the red either which makes it a more comfortable listen.

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  18. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

New album from Havukruunu on the way July 17th, here's the first release from it. I love this band, so this is a day one purchase for me (they are also re-releasing their previous album that I missed getting on vinyl the first time around, so that will be mine as well :) )

19. Dreadnought

Rebel Wizard put out a video for his new album out yesterday and it appears that he's having a lot of fun.

lenny nero likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Lamb of God live from their living rooms/closet?

21. Dreadnought

^^^^^^ Killer! :cool: Maybe the best quarantine house jam so far.

Deuce66 likes this.
  22. Dreadnought

I thought it was a parody before realizing they're a real band. A real band with a member running for president! This single song rocks. The Nectarnomicon, by Ghoul

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lenny nero likes this.
  23. Dreadnought

Following the horror theme, I love the album cover and video googly eyes apart thought this simple yet effective song worth further investigation. I haven't listened to the album yet. Heard this at NCS.

[​IMG]

lenny nero and fuzzface like this.
  24. Dreadnought

Pretty cool.

Deuce66 and lenny nero like this.
  25. Dreadnought