Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Brocken mountain is running a close second to Grimsy Island in the competition for the site of the first Grrr convention. :D

100423 likes this.
  2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Couldn't stop watching this B-movie/ gore clips compilation music video. I'm a cheap date. Coincidentally, at $2.99 I might buy it for the sax solo and superb transition to guitar solo alone. Rise of the Merciless, by Dystopia A.D.

Nice cover.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    lenny nero likes this.
  3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

what's the story behind this? she rip off Ihsahn cover art?

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm sure it wasn't done on purpose, it does look like any number of those b&w folky BM albums. Ihsahn jumped on it to score some easy publicity for himself.

5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

honestly, the first thing I thought when seeing it was that she was imitating black metal album covers. that said, I looked at the Ihsahn cover in question, and it's not like his didn't copy about 25 other covers, too.

6. lenny nero

sunday morning service

Dreadnought and 100423 like this.
  7. Dreadnought

The landscape is sparse for new premium material. I sure did want :edthumbs: Super Satan :edthumbs: to be a knock-out. :D

@The Pinhead don't know if you're interested in this compilation of early songs which were not recorded until now but here it is.
    Kasteessa kirottu, by HORNA Edit: seems it's a 2018 CD that's re-released for 2020.

"Kasteessa Kirottu" is a special release made of unearthed songs which were never recorded before. Dating back as far as days when we had not even recorded the first demo "Varjoissa" back in 1995, stretching between the years until 1999. Only one song composed during recent times is included as it was never intended to be for Horna, but sometimes changes etch their mark in time. This is in no way a real new album but represents early influences and as such, features material which to many may seem an oddity yet is still Horna to the fullest extent. -Shatraug-
    released April 10, 2020

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    lenny nero likes this.
  8. Dreadnought

lenny nero likes this.
  9. lenny nero

I have their album Terraforming. I believe I picked it up during one of Dark Descent's free download days.

Dreadnought likes this.
  10. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Me too

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  11. Dreadnought

A new album from Incantation coming August 21

100423, eric777 and lenny nero like this.
  12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I most especially love these type of things. All of my Horna releases are imports, so getting this one now is totally out of the question.

13. Dreadnought

The Witching Hour np

lenny nero likes this.
  14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I read a review of Imperial Triumphant's Abyssal Gods and any time the word Jazz is used in a Metal review I tend to take notice. I bought it and it took a while to get used to. I think it helps if you've lived in or are at least familiar with the dark and grimy parts of NYC. It actually SOUNDS like the city at its most seedy and dangerous. If you close your eyes you can hear the traffic, people, music, chaos...then it clicked for me.

The new album has a little more space I think. Not sure if Trey Spruance's production has anything to do with it. If you're having trouble getting into them I suggest starting with their Voivod cover because it's familiar and gives you a reference point. The last track 'Happy Home' is a Residents cover that also sounds a lot like Mr. Bungle.

fuzzface and Dreadnought like this.
  15. lenny nero

Dreadnought and eric777 like this.
  16. Dreadnought

lenny nero and fuzzface like this.
  17. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

Heh, I did the same thing. The current 20% off sale makes it a bit more palatable, I might go for it. :)

Dreadnought likes this.
  18. Dreadnought

lenny nero likes this.
  19. Dreadnought

I got my fix for brand new and premium. I am so into this the volume progressively increases 'til my skull vibrates in sympathy. Relatos De Angustia, by SELBST

Friday

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  20. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

21. Dreadnought

Took a listen to Selbst's previous album, their debut, which I have and picked this song out as the best. The video has a layer of fog over the audio, obscuring detail, which hurts as the gravel in the voice is a feature.

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  22. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Never not a good time for Rush. Along related lines, most of the Two Minutes to Late Night quarantine videos have been excellent but my favourite is the version of Crazy Train, incorporating the Halloween theme with a slightly slowed down beat:

Dreadnought likes this.
  23. Dreadnought

^^^^^^^^^ I been seduced! Or is it bewitched? Lovely. I get a kick out of make-up guy. I don't get why Madame Wolfe is always included in year end metal lists. She sounds like acoustic folk to me. Did she rock out in the past? Is she seeing anyone? I want that angelic voice to scream at me to do the dishes and take the dog for a walk.

Gez likes this.
  24. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Ha - I think the make-up guy (Jordan?) is actually the main organizer of the series - he’s also the only consistent presence that is in all the videos.

25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’m digging the new album by The Acacia Strain - Slow Decay.