[Guide] "A Quick One" by The Who: all tracks and where to find them

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig Williams, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peluca97

peluca97 Active Member

the 1995 mono edition have the original mono mix?

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Run Run Run is stereo and Whiskey Man is fake stereo.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

I grew up with the original mono A Quick One LP (Reaction label), and find the '80s West German Polydor CD a very faithful representation, grungy sound and all... love this album.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Subsequent releases from Japan (and in hi-res) are quite a bit better sounding IMO. The Classic Records vinyl pressing is also superb.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've recently got the West German mono CD and have had the Reaction LP for a long time. I agree with you and love this CD.

6. peluca97

peluca97 Active Member

its true! but in 2008 japanese edition its only available this tracks?:
    mono: im a boy, substitute us single, im a boy (alternate), batman (instrumental), happy jack (alternate)
    stereo: im a boy, in the city

exists another edition or source with this tracks?

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are you asking if those tracks are available elsewhere? If so, yes, the 2012 Japanese 2 CD set has the same track lineup, and all of the tracks except the Batman instrumental are available elsewhere.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. BiNNS

BiNNS Forum Resident

How does the 10 track Japan POCP 2331 cd sound? I think it's from 1994 and in mono. How does it compare to the original 1988 Polydor mono cd?

9. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

B U M P

10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Well having found the saga of the Who's debut album difficult to understand - it seems the 2012 mini card sleeve from Japan with both a mono cd and a stereo cd is best for the UK mono album- I find Quick One even harder to fathom out. I like my mini card sleeve SHM set from Japan but I am no expert. I love all the Who's 60s work so once I start playing something I can enjoy it even if the sound is not perfect. I guess I really should needledrop my copy of Quick One from my Phases box as that might be the best vinyl copy I own. I have the Classic Records one but do not know what tapes were used.

The Who - A Quick One

The Who - A Quick One

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Classic uses the mono mix.

The 2012 JPN set is fine for the mono. The stereo mix is where it gets to be a mess.

The German LP is probably the best single release for stereo (although So Sad About Us is fake stereo there), but the German tapes and EQ leave something to be desired. It seems the high end was rolled off quite a bit when the dubs were made for Germany. Also, not sure if it's just a fluke or not, but I seem to recall that my copy with the original orange cover sounds a bit better than my later copy with the normal AQO cover.

Shawn, Hep Alien and Flaming Torch like this.
  12. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks lukpac.

13. Winston O'Boogie

Winston O'Boogie Forum Resident

What is the best source for the stereo CD Bucket T and Batman?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Who - A Quick One

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Winston O'Boogie

Winston O'Boogie Forum Resident

Cool. That's the one that should be arriving in my mailbox soon. Thanks lukpac.

16. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

An older post I know, but I just popped over to HD tracks and listened to the sample and it sounds like my needle drop from my Happy Jack. Have they replaced the track or is the remix similar to the original stereo?

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

The 2012 SHM CD set is a needledrop of the original mix.

The 2014 HD download is a distorted version of the 2002 remix.

Hep Alien and patient_ot like this.
  18. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I'm wondering if the distorted/remix version of So Sad About Us at HD tracks has subsequently been replaced with the original stereo mix, as the current HD Tracks sample sounds the same as my Happy Jack vinyl stereo (placement and overloaded bass). I don't have the remix version for comparison, but if that's still the remix at HD tracks, it's seems faithful to the original.
    I'm re-evaluating my compilation for the album and considering new stereo sources (the HD Tracks stereo and/or I'm A Boy CD). My existing sources are my original Happy Jack stereo vinyl, and the HD Tracks mono download.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The current HDTracks sample is definitely the remix (with significant added distortion). The remix has reverb on the vocals that isn't present on the original stereo mix.

While extremely loud, the remix sounds much better on the 2002/3 A Quick One CD.

jtiner and patient_ot like this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If any changes were done, it would have to be very very recent. I bough the HD AQO stereo probably less than 2 months ago and the track for SSAU on there is horrible, distorted beyond recognition. I had to get the early MCA CD for a decent SSAU, then burned my own CD from both sources.

I'm a Boy is very good but the EQ is totally different than other sources, so you'd have to re-EQ if you were compiling a new stereo AQO using that as a source. For now I just listen to the IAB CD on its own.

jtiner likes this.
  21. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.