"Hacks" - Highly Recommended!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hooperfan, Jun 19, 2021.

1. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

You're really making me want to watch it now.

unclefred likes this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Love this show — Jean and Hannah are terrific and have great chemistry!

Hooperfan and Leviethan like this.
  3. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I'm only on episode 4 - but I don't see this at all. This is more about generational differences between the elder comic and the younger one.

Sure, the young person is "cancelled" as part of the set-up - but I don't find it too be too egregious in the way its been handled so far. And she does seem to be cancelled by 'friends' becuase she does seem like a user - but again I've only seen about half of the show.

The show seems mild without any heavy handed anti-cancel culture agenda so far.

But this post seems like when the priests were all outraged by the "blasphemous" Life of Brian film.

zephyr25 likes this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Now that 'cancel culture' is a part of everyday social discourse, people are always going to weigh-in on whether something applies to 'cancel culture', whether the term is relevant to the event/subject/concept or not. Popular buzzwords that creep into everyday usage, will either spread or diminish in popularity, and there is nothing anybody can do about that."

Now, would you like that in esperanto...? :D

5. peteham

peteham Senior Member

And I would say it’s the opposite. I found the show painfully safe (casting, story, humour), and only really appreciated Smart’s performance.

Hooperfan likes this.
  6. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Good.

7. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Outrage? :rolleyes: Ya.

8. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

:righton:

"Who slaps anyone?"

9. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

Have watched the first 8 episodes, and loving it- will watch the final two probably in the next few days.

i think the second season is released in May or June? (anyone know when?)

really great acting and writing, and I love how the characters get deeper and more well-rounded with each episode. You learn more 'back story' -tho it stays very funny a lot of the time too.

10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Happy Season 2 has started!

Terrific first episode!

Dan C, MikaelaArsenault and sberger like this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

New interview with Jean Smart:

12. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

On my to watch list if only for Lana Lynley!

She was superb in Fargo.

13. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

just finished season two- really good. tho it was only a six episode season! ended so quickly, i didn't realize i was watching the last episode.
    some fun plot twists, wonder if it'll be renewed for a third season- that being said, it had a nice arc and if its only the two seasons, it does feel like a 'journey'

Leviethan likes this.
  14. I watched 1 1/2 episodes and bailed. The two main characters were not particularly likeable, or like anyone I could relate to, so I just don't want to spend anymore time watching them. The acting was first rate.

15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That totally killed any interest in this series for me.

I never liked Joan Rivers, never found her the slightest bit funny. As the National Lampoon accurately pointed out many years ago, she somehow managed to have a career in comedy without ever saying anything funny - she just talked loud.

16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

We love Hacks, so well written.

GentleSenator likes this.
  17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I don’t find Smart’s character Rivers based at all. It’s a great, funny show.

jpelg, johnod, nojmplease and 3 others like this.
  18. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

We're enjoying it.

19. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Season 2 is 8 episodes, not 6, so you might have a couple more to go! Though it did seem short compared to the 10 in Season 1. And since they released 2 per week, it only felt like 4!

I'd never seen Jean Smart in anything before this, not even Designing Women. I thought she was fantastic.

Boy, that incident during the taping of the special in the last episode was pretty wild.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    mike s in nyc likes this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

:yikes:

21. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Thankfully I don't share that limitation, as that would exclude me from enjoying most of the top television of the past 20 years...including Hacks, which is absolutely fantastic.

walrus likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

from your opinion I am going to check it out! thanks...

23. Most of the top television shows in the past 20 years have annoying, unlikable character leads? That is news to me. My life in a bubble has just been blown -thanks for setting me straight.

24. Michael

OMG! I cannot imagine what she felt. : ( just terrible and really sad..

25. Michael

OH YES! I'd welcome it with open arms and a bear hug...anything to combat that sick madness is fine by me.