Hal Willner RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mazzy, Apr 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

3. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Wow, I have so many great tribute-to-albums produced by him.... And that fantastic album of Gavin Friday ('Each Man Kills the Thing He Loves') which he had also produced...

A great loss.

I read here he had finished a tribute-to-album for T Rex (with acts like U2), so am very curious when this will be released.

RIP Hal Willner

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  4. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

[​IMG]

I played this just the other day. William S. Burroughs' peerless 1990 album, Dead City Radio, produced by Hal Willner (also engineering) and Nelson Lyon. A remarkable synergy of spoken word with accompanying music and soundscapes. One of my all-time favourite albums.

5. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

That's horrible news. The Mingus and the first Kurt Weill record are pretty essential and his Freedom Rides show in London in 2012 was excellent - especially Bill Bragg channelling Big Bill Broonzy.

6. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

Hal Willner also organized the "Greetings From Tim Buckley" event at St. Ann's Church, NYC, in 1991 - which essentially became Jeff Buckley's "coming out" party as a singer.

dee, MikaelaArsenault, Ludger and 2 others like this.
  7. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Big fan of his Disney & Kurt Weill albums.
    RIP, Mr. Willner.:tiphat:

8. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

RIP - I‘m a big fan of the “Lost in the stars“ album

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Stay Awake is really good.

10. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

I have Lost In The Stars on vinyl and CD (more songs) and play them often.

Thanks for the music. RIP.

MikaelaArsenault and Joti Cover like this.
  11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Oh man. He's up there with his collaborator and friend Lou now. RiP. Way too early.

12. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

13. siebrand

siebrand music lover

I have thousands of records. I have been buying them since I was 12. yet ... I have nothing of Willner.
    but it is never too late. if he really was so good .. recommend me something. thanks.

14. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Ugh. Awful. Loved the Monk, Weill and Disney projects. Recently played the Mingus several times. (They have all been in my collection since they came out.) And then there was TV's vibrant & edgy "Night Music." A musical hero.

15. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Very sad news... His production of Marianne Faithfull's "Strange Weather" was perfection...

His "various artists" albums always included an intriguing group of collaborators!

May he R.I.P.

16. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Oh man RIP boo sad news.

17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Any of the recommended albums posted in the thread so far will do, but my personal favourite is Lou Reed's transcendent Berlin: Live at St. Ann's Warehouse. Double LP, with woodwinds and chorus conducted by original orchestrator Bob Ezrin, and Anhoni's jaw dropping rendition of "Candy Says" as an encore

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The final tweet on Willner’s account was in support of another coronavirus sufferer, John Prine. “Sending love to John Prine who is in critical condition with COVID-19,” he wrote. “John is a music giant. His songs are as good as it gets and he’s a spellbinding performer. Send good thoughts his way. ‘I sound like that old guy down the street that doesn’t chase you out of his apple tree.'”
    RIP Hal. Always art before commerce. We need more like you.

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I've only heard of the name through Stay Awake and that’s it.

lightbulb and Joti Cover like this.
  20. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

damn.. sad to hear this.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. boe

boe Forum Resident

His Amacord Nino Rota album is a classic in my book. My favorite concept / tribute album. Carla Bley. A very young Wynton and Branford. Then unknown Bill Frisell. Carla Bley. Jaki Byard. Chris Stein and Debbie Harry. Lots of interesting combinations of players and it all hangs together so well.

scotto, acetboy, Robitjazz and 8 others like this.
  22. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

Weird Nightmare has been one of my very favorite albums - of any musical style or format - since its release. One of the greatest albums ever made.

23. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Sad day. I read somewhere that while growing up in Philly,WDAS-FM was a source of enlightenment that the many types of music played during their hippy-dippy days played a part of his appreciation of so much that he would bring to his work. In 1971,while working overnights in an envelope factory and 'DAS was on lots. That ,and a kid who loved getting high on breaks and screwing-off(we through him into a paper baler once after he was sleeping one off in a collection bin that's what got me through that summer. So I imagined Hal & I listening to the same stuff and loving his results.
    Suggestions? Just look for his name on an album and bring home. Goodbye to a guy I always wanted to meet.

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

He arranged the music for this...right?

Beamish13 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

He also complied THIS, too....right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.