Hana SL -- I hate it

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BigMikeATL, May 28, 2020.

1. Helom

Helom Forum member

First I've read of this Pete Riggle mod. Very interesting. I might have to inquire if one of his devices will fit my Acoustic Signature arm which is based on Rega geometry.

I was planning on switching to the ML eventually but I'm now leaning toward the Clearaudio Concept MC. It's a top-seller for Acoustic Sounds which is a good indicator of performance IME.

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  2. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Sometimes the hype doesn't match the reality. 2M Black was that for me.

3. kidkoffee

kidkoffee Well-Known Member

Funny, I had the 2M Black and hated it as well in my system...but love the Hana.

4. kidkoffee

Yeah, I was on the fence for a while...nervous about drilling in to my deck, but so glad I finally took the plunge. Shoot him an email. He’s quick to reply and help...at least he was back when I bought.

5. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I use Hana SL for a year already (as a secondary cart), and I think it is fine for what it is. Yes, midrange is a bit finiky and surely not "lush" and image is not the same as in my Benz Micro Wood SL -but for a lot of dull rock recordings it is what the doctor order. It tracks well, it is forgiving. I use 220 ohm loading, my higher option 440 make it sound a little muddy.

6. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

Before switching to Hana, I was a loyal AT fan, having had 3 successive AT carts. I remember I said the same thing about AT carts, I would never switch to another brand. Then one day, I invited a cart setup pro to take a look at my AT33-PTGii alignment (using Acoustical Systems SMARTractor Alignment Set), and after some time of listening and discussions about music and other cartridges, he brought out a Hana SL. He asked if I wanted to give it a listen, I said sure why not? The Hana hasn't left my turntable since and I found that I had put my foot in my mouth. :shrug:

While both AT and Hana make really great cartridges that provide excellent value at the end of the day the Hana sound is something that lured me in. IMO its the only cart I've had that has provided long term satisfaction, it just does everything well and has staved off the upgrade or try something else itch for now. ;)

When the time comes to upgrade I'm looking at the ML or ART9. But having lived with the Hana for some time now definitely leaning towards the ML.

bever70 likes this.
  7. Helom

Helom Forum member

The SL requires a precise setup to get the most of it, which is likely your case given it was setup via Smartractor. I’m not surprised when I read of others being disappointed with its performance. I find it requires very precise initial setup and then further adjustment by ear, especially tracking force and zenith angle.

It’s a great value but only if ideal setup is accomplished.

chipcalzada likes this.
  8. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I’ll bet you have a JD-9? There’s either a misprint in the manual or their calculations are off. No way that has 60dB of gain for MM, and it shouldn’t.

9. Old Zorki II

I did not find it that much different from other carts with advances stylus profiles. If anything they are easier to adjust then some AT carts with nuts.

10. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Good guess! That’s what I’m currently running. That said, I’m considering an upgrade to something a bit more versatile. Right now the Elac PPA-2 Alchemy is what I’m eyeing. I really like that it’s got two inputs so I can run a MM and MC table and not have to deal with disconnecting wires.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  11. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I have a JD9 as well. Like it but gain figures have long been rumored to be high. Not sure why.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  12. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

My guess is they took the measurements from the “high” outputs which I can’t imagine needing with an active preamp.

13. AppleCorp3

Looking at the owners manual:
    • MM: 60dB, 5 mV
    • HOMC: 75dB, 0.5 - 1.5 mV
    • LOMC: 85dB, 0.25 - 0.5mV
    LO output: 500mV (for high gain preamp separates)
    HI output: 1.8 V (for integrated or line stage)

14. chipcalzada

I agree with @Helom the SL is deceptively finicky to setup. At first, I thought it was lacking detail in the high frequencies like there was a proverbial veil (I loathe the term), but after some adjustments to azimuth, it opened up and is just as detailed as my previous AT cart and then some.

15. kidkoffee

Right. Every system and ear is different, but I’ve tried a good few different carts/brands and this one is the winner for me. I’m older than my name suggests, and just done experimenting. Only way I’ll switch again is if I hit the lottery and decide to upgrade everything.

JD9 here as well! Not surprising to find JD9 fans on a post about the Hana - both tremendous values. Have you guys modded yours at all? Put the right caps and tubes in, and it’s a flat-out steal for the money... You can play with the dip switches more than the manual states btw. I run the SL in the hi outs with NO gain switches engaged. This gives about 55dB. If you are running the SH, you should be shooting for around 44db. Try using the lo outs with NO switches engaged (35-ish dB) or with switch 1 engaged (50 dB). That’s the closest you will come on the JD9.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  16. Old Zorki II

Perhaps I was lucky -but when I install it on OL Encounter arm Azymuth was spot on (checked with Fozgometer). Otherwise it is actually quite complicated to adjust...

chipcalzada likes this.
  17. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Get rid of it and get yourself a Rega Planar 8 with an Apheta III cartridge and be done with the search. I took a chance, unheard and was rewarded, you can be as well! No adjustments, no worrying about picking the right cartridge for the table, all is done for you, plug and play and know someone else has done the engineering, a real win! :righton: If the Planar 8 is out of reach, go with the 6 and it's matching Ania MC cartridge, again, all engineering is done, plug and enjoy.

sennj likes this.
  18. chipcalzada

I see. Well if it's not azimuth related then perhaps it's something else? If its dull-sounding in the high frequencies or not imaging well then something is probably off alignment wise.

19. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I like the option for complete Rega solution but tried Ania on my P7, it wasn't a success tbh.
    Had Exact back then which was good but dealer couldn't offer trade-in when it was worn out.
    I know this option works in UK, not sure if elsewhere.

All this pushed me into SL1200GR/Hana territory.

20. Helom

Helom Forum member

I found that final alignment by ear is critical for these carts. That’s how they do it at Acoustic Sounds. Even the EL can sound stupid good when aligned by ear.

21. AppleCorp3

So does that mean the 60dB is correct for MM? There was some discussion about whether that was an error or miscalculation of some sort. I’ve read elsewhere that they’re known for having a LOT of gain, so I wasn’t sure. I’m new to MC carts so really trying to read as much as I can from folks here and then play around with my gear. :righton:

22. Helom

Helom Forum member

60 db gain is more appropriate for a high output MC, <2 mV.

Most MM carts require somewhere between 35 and 45 db gain.

macster and AppleCorp3 like this.
  23. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Yep, my Hana EH sounds fine with 42db gain.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  24. kidkoffee

The higher the cartridge output, the lower the preamp gain. 60dB would be way too much for a MM cart. A typical 5mv MM cartridge has an optimal gain setting of around 36dB. These are not “hard numbers,” so if you can get close with your preamp, you should be just fine. The further away you go, high or low, the more it negatively effects the sound. Old rule of thumb was to set it so that you get a good, loud listening level with your volume turned 1/2 way up. The Jolida manual that I have (early unit) does not even list dB numbers...it just tells you to flip dip-switch a, b, or c if you have a mm, MC low, or MC high. It’s very confusing and just wrong. Here’s a link to a great chart on dip-switch settings for the JD9. More options for loading even by engaging multiple switches as you will see.
    https://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/gi.mpl?u=32746&f=jolida_jd9_settings1.jpg
    Ignore the manual and follow this lol...If you are running the SL like I am, follow this chart, plug in to the hi outs and set all gain switches to off (55dB). Load at 1K ohms. You could also try plugging in to the low outs with #1 gain dip-switch engaged (50dB). I remember having a really tough time deciding between these 2 settings, but the KAB calculator recommends 56dB of gain for this cartridge, so I went wither the closer number. It sounds amazing in my setup. If you followed the manual and engaged switch 3 for a “MC low” cartridge, you have 75dB using the low outs, or 95dB using the Hi outs! Waaay too much in either case.
    A little tweaking on your JD9 will blow you away as well. Even changing the tubes alone makes a huge difference. Hope this helps

HiFi Guy and AppleCorp3 like this.
  25. AppleCorp3

Very much so - thank you! More to play with this weekend.