Handel "Water Music" George Szell, London Symp. on UK Decca, AMAZING SOUND!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I don't know about his contract, but Szell frequently guest conducted the LSO and made some recordings with them for Decca and EMI.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Hey, I found (was sent to me by a nice SH member) a 180 gram vinyl reissue that sounds wonderful.

Was released around 1997 or so. Could be Alto or someone like that? Faux covers and labels, no reissue company or info whatsoever. Thick, quiet vinyl, obviously cut nicely (and with correct EQ) from British Decca master tape.

Does anyone know about this and can you give us a little more info?

Thanks!

I guess this is the one. Not 100 percent sure though..

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/6...c_Royal_Fireworks_Music-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Says Speaker's Corner in the Acoustic Sounds ad. That would make sense. easy to check. If the matrix is a "K" (Tony Hawkins) it is almost certainly a Speaker's Corner

4. Steve Hoffman

5. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Cant go wrong with Wilky,Culshaw and Kingsway Hall imho.

6. Steve Hoffman

7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The listing does not include Bernard Herrmann's "Music From the Great Movie Thrillers". I believe there's a few more of Herrmann and perhaps two Rozsa's epic film music, etc.

8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I'm old and daft and sometimes in need of coaching and having things spelled out in really clear English using small words. (Maybe I'm missing something, which wouldn't be a first, I'm positive, so I'll apologize in advance!)

Can somebody explain to me what the heck the Reiner recording of Brahms and Dvorak, issued on Decca Records in Europe and on London Records in the USA, has to do with RCA? (As far as I can tell: nothing.) On the original issue LPs, there is no mention anywhere of a distribution deal with RCA. All reissues, LP and CD, have been via Decca/London, not via RCA, not Readers Digest. See below.

Attached Files:

10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.