Happy 36th birthday to Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pmckeeaalaska, Mar 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Press Release that was included in the promotional copies of the album at release time.

[​IMG]

2. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

My favorite Pink Floyd album.

George P, GowG, Floyd Crazy and 3 others like this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

There's some good stuff on the album, but it's really a Waters solo release with Gilmour and Mason guesting and the PF name on it.

Carlox likes this.
  4. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

My favourite Floyd Album, brilliant songs; excellent, moving, thoughtful lyrics and great production. It actually made me go and read more about politics and what was going on in early '80s Britain, so I think it's thought provoking too.

I don't hear it as a Waters' solo album at all, it's got Gilmour and Mason's style stamped all over it.

After having devoured this thread I desperately want to listen to it, but it's bed time!

5. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Pink Floyd didn't ever stand still. It has a different vibe to The Wall too and is not part 3. It does miss Rick. It does need more David. And more Nick.
    It is an underrated album that has a unique sonic palette. Nevertheless, it can be too heavy for frequent listening. On just a personal note, I used to think The Division Bell was a poorer album than this but as I have changed in those 25 years, the themes and lyrics hit home more in a timeless sense. The ringing of the division bell is deafening actually in 2019.
    The bottom line is all Floyd albums are essential even The Endless River (or big spliff!), which kind of completes the circle.

Floyd Crazy and carlwm like this.
  6. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Brilliant album....... 'nuff said.

Actually in my top 5.....

kevin5brown, quicksrt and xfilian like this.
  7. Zack

Zack Senior Member

That is fascinating, and so helpful after 36 years of listening to the album. I wish someone would annotate the sound effects as well, what the doors slamming and creaking symbolize. Thanks for sharing that.

quicksrt likes this.
  8. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

There is a fantastic review of The Final Cut by David Quantick which was published in the Ultimate Music Guide which came out several years ago. Thought I would upload it incase other fans of the album fancied a browse. :)

Final Cut Review

9. beewood

beewood Forum Resident

Never considered what RW or PF category this falls into - the music is incredible.

kevin5brown, impalaboy and thgord like this.
  10. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

This album imo is in a category all it's own. It's music and lyrics ooze and drip emotion and angst. Sadness and remorse from missing a father he barely knew, and anger at war's futility and cost that cultivated some hard learned wisdom. Using background sounds and recording techniques create an atmospheric confessional of sorts with Water's expressing himself using whispered phrases at one end to shrieking releases of angst and torment at the other. I agree in finding the title cut as the most beautiful and moving, with a Gilmour guitar solo for the ages. It's a wonderful album to dive into when the mood and timing are just so.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  11. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

I love this album to bits. Such a wide, brilliant sound stage. A perfect album to showcase the dynamic range of one’s stereo set up. Sounds wonderful in the vinyl.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  12. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

My least favourite Pink Floyd album. I started loving Floyd in the early 70s and managed to see them on the final date of the Wall tour. When the Final Cut came out I was so disappointed on first listen to a friend's copy I didn't buy it and didn't own one until quite recently. I find a whole album of it too much and find the same with Roger's solo albums.

But for some added perspective, being my least favourite Floyd album still puts it way up there in my list. I like the songs, just not a whole album of them.

13. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

It sounds brilliant on vinyl.
    The first time I heard it , was my brothers copy when it was released , I couldn't believe how good it sounded . I've got that copy now aswell as my own i bought early 80's . They both still sounds wonderful.

Zeki and kevin5brown like this.
  14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

1983 & 2016 lp press both sound awesome.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Gotta spin 2016 lp reissue again tonight or by the end of the week.

When I got an original 1983 lp a few months ago I was stunned how good it sounded after a thorough cleaning.

jimhb likes this.
  16. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

The CD sounds great too (early US, Japan, WG). @George P has a thread where he asks for the CDs/tracks that people consider "audiophile", that they might use to compare headphones, speakers, etc. Anyway, this CD is on my list. Great, great sounding disc. And great, great music too. I'm quite happy to see that a few others appreciate this record as much as I do!

fer2, Zeki, Carlox and 2 others like this.
  17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

The last Floyd album that sounds authentically 'Pink Floyd' to me. And a relief after The Wall (the only Floyd record I can't listen to anymore.) Roger makes a more humane record, and ends the band on a good note (not an 'up' note, mind you -- but not a harangue, either.)

Billy Infinity, Zeki and thgord like this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

Me too, Kevin. I've always loved this album.

And from a sound quality perspective, Dark Side gets mentioned a lot, but to me it's The Final Cut that sounds amazing. The Wall as well, the drums on that album are so rich and thick (early USA, CK mastering.)

Zeki, Carlox, c-eling and 2 others like this.
  19. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I think :), DSOTM sounds good for its time. I think, TFC sounds good, period.

Billy Infinity, Zeki, c-eling and 2 others like this.
  20. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

I've 3 copies on cd , a UK made 84 copy , a Dutch made 94 re issue remaster , both sound really nice. Last and least a 2011 /2016 remaster , which sounds awful , really naff.

21. Terry

Terry Senior Member

No matter how hard I try, this is one album that I never dug

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The musicianship is stellar. And production can carry it it’s that good.

I never dug Division Bell at all.

bhazen likes this.
  23. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Vaughan, fer2, Carlox and 2 others like this.
  24. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

As most of the 1994 PINK FLOYD albums on CD here in Europe don't contain the Doug Sax remasters (even when he is credited in the booklets): Is "The Final Cut" the Doug Sax remaster or an early 80s mastering ??? Thank you very much.

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Thanks for that, it's a good read.

You know, I think a lot of flack/hatred toward Waters these days is purely down to his political beliefs. People can't get passed it and just listen to the music. I happen to love Final Cut, it truly gets to the heart of the matter, the lyrics are stunning. Also, despite it being problematic as a band album, Waters and Co. managed to have it coalesce perfectly. I'm struggling to think of an album with the same emotional impact. Whether that has to do with the fact that I was around in the UK at the times of the Falklands war or not, I don't know. Regardless, it's easily my most played Floyd album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.