Happy Days (ABC tv show)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFOK

JFOK Forum Resident

One reason I stopped watching Happy Days after season 2 was the diminishing lack of authenticity as the show progressed. The hair on male stars except for Fonzie, started growing longer and eventually matched the current hairstyles of the year the show was filmed, not the year it was supposed to take place in.
    Also, Fonzie became a softer presence as the show progressed and lost his tough, rebel, cool style.

Karnak likes this.
  2. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Yea the "long" hair bugged me as it did on MASH.

I think Fonzie was softened because he was very popular amongst us kids. ABC thus felt pressure to clean him up a bit (what would they have done with Tony Soprano?).

Looking back now, he does stand as a bit of a contradiction. Tough biker hood who is never seen drinking or hell raising. Has tons of girlfriends, yet none are ever angry or feeling jilted. And he was seemingly the most financially responsible person ever to grace TV.

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Fonzie followed kinda the role of Wolfman in Am Graffiti. Problem gets batted around for 25 minutes. Fonzie comes in with sage advice or some butt kicking and we all go home happy.
    Fonzie became a Zen teacher like the rat in Teenage Mutant Turtles and the butt kicking stopped.
    B-o-r-i-n-g

Karnak likes this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I think your idea that he was "cleaned up" a bit is true enough... I remember seeing Garry Marshall on a show one time and he said how he had to fight to even get it okayed for Fonzie to wear a leather jacket because the network didn't think it'd be a good example for kids if he was in leather... He said it started out that they didn't want him in leather at all, then they said it'd be okay, as long as he only wore it while on his bike... That of course morphed into him wearing it all the time, but what he wore has almost a bomber type jacket look to it-It sure doesn't fit the Marlon Brando "Wild One" look... (Although in that episode that shows how he and Richie "met", he's shown wearing a motorcycle cap along with his "Falcons" jacket.)... It's funny, a secondary character on a spin-off series (Squiggy from "Laverne and Shirley") got to wear a "real" biker jacket and Fonzie never did... But, I suppose by that time the jacket he was wearing was so identified with his look that they probably didn't want to change it...

And yeah, you're right about him and all the girlfriends-How they never got catty with each other is beyond me... And when he says he's going out with twins: What sisters would want to not only date the same guy, but go on dates with him at the same time?

bekayne and Jack Lord like this.
  5. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Well, that Miami Vice episode about alien abduction...wow.
    But then again, it again became a fantastic show in the last season so that doesn't really count.

Karnak likes this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Remember when Fonz became a time traveler with his anthropomorphic dog Mr. Cool?

This makes the last few seasons of Happy Days seem watchable by comparison, doesn't it? :)

7. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I recall all of them appearing on the Dinah Shore show. Henry described how they wanted him to wear the same shoes as the other guys and he said something like "a cool person would never wear such shows back then." So he went to a store in New York to get the engineer boots, probably the same place from The Lords of Flatbush.

And yes, in the first few episodes, Fonzie is wearing a windbreaker rather than leather.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Fonzie in a windbreaker is just so wrong.

9. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Maybe windbreaker is the wrong term. It's not a bad jacket.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You should be friends with my brother! He's always pointing stuff like that out when we watch old shows. :)

After you notice it, it's hard to not notice it. lol

11. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

That's why he is "The Fonze" and you and I are not. :D

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No, it's not a bad jacket but it just looks wrong on the character when he should be wearing the leather jacket, damnit. :)

Jack Lord likes this.
  13. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

LOL!

Maybe Gary Marshall should have kept him in it so as not to feel compelled to water him down later. Or rather than a hood, Fonzie could have been a beatnik rebel. But I guess most people then still remembered Maynard from Dobie Gillis.

14. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

Wait, wait, back up! I want to know who Mrs. Babbish saw snorting lines in the shape of a big, cursive "L"!

bekayne and Grand_Ennui like this.
  15. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That was during an era when a number of Garry Marshall shows made the transition to animation. In addition to Fonzie & The Happy Days Gang there was:
    • Laverne & Shirley In The Army
    • Mork & Mindy (which contradicted the TV show by having them in High School together)
    In all of the above shows the actors voiced their own characters.

This was not the first time this occurred. In the 1970s, many live-action shows made the transition to animation, although there were significant changes made when they were done in animation. Among the shows:

• My Favorite Martians
    • I Dream Of Jeannie
    • Partridge Family 2050
    • Star Trek (later referred to as Star Trek - The Animated Series)
    • The Oddball Couple
    • The Barkleys (inspired by All In The Family)
    • Baggy Pants And The Oddballs (featuring the characters played by Arte Johnson and Ruth Buzzi in Laugh-In)
    • The Brady Kids
    ABC also had a series called ABC Saturday Superstar Movie which featured many short (1 hour) movies based on live-action series. Among them were:
    • Lost In Space
    • Bewitched (if I remember correctly it featured the son and daughter of Samantha and Darren)
    • Nanny & The Professor
    • Lassie
    (The above checked via Wikipedia)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  16. [​IMG]

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The Fonz on Sesame Street

goodiesguy and Sammy Banderas like this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah it's not a windbreaker.It looks like a Harrington or Bomber style jacket.

19. MikaelaArsenault

20. MikaelaArsenault

Three parts, but don't feel like posting the other two.

Sammy Banderas and jason88cubs like this.
  21. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Regarding the engineer/"biker" boots: In actuality, I thought they put him in the boots so he'd be as tall as the other guys... I have a pair of those boots, and they add a good 2 inches to my height when I wear them... They work the same magic on Henry Winkler.

Regarding the early episodes "windbreaker": There's a toy company some here may have heard of called CTVT ("Classic TV Toys") and they released their own line of 8" figures based on "Happy Days": Anyway, they made Fonzie variant figures, so in addition to having a figure in the "leather jacket", they made one of him in his "Fearless Fonzarelli" suit, his "Falcons" gang jacket, and yes, a version of him in the windbreaker...

22. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Obviously those boots had many advantages.

I am 6'3" and used to have a pair of those. Made me look like Sasquatch.

Grand_Ennui and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  23. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

I have speculated whether this show could have been a success without Fonzie.

I know the ratings in Season 2 were not good. Hence some changes were made. I know they wanted access to the leather jacket side of the 1950s. A more subdued character, Milner from American Graffiti, would have given them that and have someone that could more believably pass in the straight world. As opposed to what the show did, making Fonzie a super savant at everything and everyone else cartoonish and without nuance. Hence complaints that the early shows were better.

The Wonder Years was a very similar show and kept the focus on the original lead. But I think Fred Savage was a stronger lead than Ron Howard. Howard was coasting on his Andy Griffith and American Graffiti rep. Not that he didn't give the show his best, he just wasn't that good an adult actor. Hence the switch to directing, which certainly worked out for him. But I don't think we missed much not seeing him act anymore.

24. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

We've got a good idea of who the supplier was, though.

carrick doone and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  25. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I didnt think Ron Howard was bad at the start

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.