Harbeth P3ESR XD vs P3ESR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tIANcI, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end Thread Starter

I had the opportunity to compare the P3ESR and the P3ESR XD at a dealer’s. Now, I must say that the listening session was not a prolonged one and what I heard is based on dealer’s showroom and the equipment used.

How it sounds
    Some Harbeth dealers online have really placed the XD on a high pedestal with all their hyperbolic marketing statements. Here are some examples:

“Breath-taking transparency, realistic bass, amazing vocal reproduction and fantastic holographic imaging give the P3ESR XD a grand, captivating, and transparent sound.”

“Amazing Clarity & Tuneful Bass From A Gorgeous, Shoebox-Sized Enclosure”

So, what gives? After a comparison of both speakers using only 3-4 tracks, I have to say that there is a very obvious difference between the P3ESR and the P3ESR XD. The sound has matured as I would put it.

Clarity
    The new XD’s highs and mids are smoother and this makes the sound presented to be clearer. Without any measurements I would not be able to say if there is an extra extension to the highs or any bump of the mids but it is safe to say that the frequency in this range is smoother.

Breath Taking Transparency
    Now, in hifi too many adjectives are freely used. Transparent means that it replicates without adding to or subtracting from the original source material. You are listening to what the artiste intended. Do we really know what the originally intended sound should be? Not unless we were in the recording studio as the track or album is being mastered, we can’t say its ‘transparent’.

Fantastic Holographic Imaging
    I would not say that the new XD has a better holographic imaging than the stock P3ERS. Again, with the improvement in the highs and mids, things are just more detailed. It gets things more into focus for you.

Amazing Vocal Reproduction
    The new XD has taken this a notch or two up. Vocals are definitely clearer with slightly more weight. It does sound very slightly more forward but definitely non-fatiguing. There is density to it. It sure is a welcomed improvement. But I won’t use ‘amazing’. It was pretty good with the P3ESR and Harbeth has made it better.

Realistic & Tuneful Bass
    Now this is the most obvious improvement with the XD. The bass is definitely stronger and more tuneful. In the past the 100 Hz BBC bump did help the P3ESR sound larger. Yes, the P3ESR did have a tuneful bass but now it’s better.

There is more semblance of bass now. The bass is totally satisfying for a speaker of this size.

Oh yes … how about ‘realistic’? Let’s be honest, how realistic can bass get from a driver of merely 110mm? It can’t defy physics.

Grand, captivating, and transparent sound
    Grand? I would not say it is. Captivating … definitely due to the overall improvement to the sound.

In short, the XD is not a shocking departure from the Harbeth DNA but it has evolved. Alan Shaw has morphed the XD sound in the right direction as he the pursues the quest for speakers that are natural in its presentation.

However, I personally, would not call it Xtended Definition. That creates a perception of moving from a HD TV to a 4K or even 8K one. No matter what Harbeth wants to call it, it is a speaker that will hold its own. A worthy speaker.

So, many will ask, “Is the P3ESR XD worth the premium of around $850?” If you are a Harbeth fan, highly possible.

I believe that new sound is going to be great for nearfield listening as it takes away all the edge that was present in the P3ESR and adds to it, quality bass response. You will be rewarded with a much smoother delivery of music.

Test equipment

Integrated amp: Rega Elicit-R
    Source: Redbook CD
    CDP: Rega Saturn-R

Rega p6, Echoes Myron, ispace and 4 others like this.
  2. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Not following how a sound can be smoother and in the same time clearer, more detailed? These descriptions are IMO in conflict.

3. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

need to add the 40th anniversary to the mix :)

Art K likes this.
  4. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I'd love to hear either version some day. How would they do in a small room (about 11x11) not quite near field, but maybe 5-6 feet away on stands. Music is varied, but it's 70% rock, 30% jazz. Have a sub, but would get a different one when the time comes. 90% vinyl, also being upgraded later this year.

5. tIANcI

The highs are not as ‘edgy’, hence, you hear it clearer, with clarity comes the detail? :)

Sorry ... did not find one that’s available :D

6. tIANcI

11 x 11 room with speakers 5’-6’ away is fine but for rock ... to be honest when you start to push it harder, it will begin to compress. My listening area is 13’w x 24’l. I sit like 6’ away. Speakers are 6’ apart. When it reaches around 85-87dB the little Harbeth starts to struggle.

7. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I had the 40th and preferred the standard P3. The HD is a correction to the 40th. It was the most reworked model for the HD version.

Echoes Myron and tIANcI like this.
  8. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking too. I have a pair of Dynaudio Excite 14 now, and they do pretty well. I'd like to have a larger woofer though, prefer a 6.5" woofer over the 5", maybe for better mid bass, it just seems like for rock it has an advantage. I've been monitoring my db levels more lately too. I'm trying to keep it around 80db (or less), with peaks a bit higher of course. I've been wanting to try a pair of B&W 607/606 Anniversary models, great review from Gutenberg.

9. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Do you have any comparison comments under your category of Breath Taking Transparency?

10. tIANcI

I love Harbeth speakers to bits but they aren’t breath taking. As for transparency ... it’s supposed to mean it does not add to or take away from the original music. How do we know what’s original if we weren’t in the recording studio?

11. tIANcI

@IRG ... a speaker with 6.5” woofer or more would fare better. I did have the C7ESR, it was much better for rock.

IRG likes this.
  12. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I meant did you hear any sonic difference in "transparency" between the two?

You had comments between each in the other categories, but I didn't see any for this one. Thanks!

tIANcI likes this.
  13. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

Interesting. I have the 40th (haven't heard the standard or XD), and they are fabulous. Would love to hear the others!

14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Interesting thing about Harbeths (and some other brands). When I listen to their demos on YT videos through my Celestion DL-8 IIs, they all sound really good. Then I realize, I'm listening to my Celestions with their 8" drivers... I've stopped looking at other brands. ;)

Melody50, Bananajack and tIANcI like this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Insinuating your $200 bookshelf speakers are better than Harbeths is a new level of crazy. Trust me; they're far and away better in every category. :laugh:

16. tIANcI

I love the finish on the 40th ... veneers are so nice.

17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Can the XD's pass the Led Zeppelin II test? ...

I loved my P3ESR's for most music; but they sounded broken when I played that classic 1969 hard rock album through them (they didn't fare much better with a few other 'rawk' pieces, either.)

Has Alan Shaw beefed-up the P3 XD?

18. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, but you can improve the detail and clarity of the original P3ESR by upgrading the stock tweeters to the SEAS TFF1. It’s a drop-in replacement; no crossover or cabinet modifications are needed. Only costs about $70 USD in total and the improvements are very noticeable. The overall presentation is a bit brighter though.

19. Strat-Mangler

Harbeth speakers need raw power to sing. If you were using the same amp you currently have, I'm unsurprised that they would have sounded the way you described them. Being completely candid, I wouldn't use a non-Class A solid-state amp that is below 100WPC to drive any of them including the P3s. Otherwise, I predict they'd simply sound like they're gasping for air.

Personally, I don't know why none of this is on their websites. It doesn't make sense to me that they'd be OK with having potential customers hear their gear not sounding their best only because of a lack of synergy. I'm sure a bunch of people have tried Harbeth speakers with amps that are not suited for these power-hungry guys and walked away thinking "These speakers suck! What do people see/hear in them?"

bhazen and Eigenvector like this.
  20. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I heard the P3 powered by a Primaluna Evo 400. That's a lot of tube integrated amp. Glorious with the jazz and chamber music that I heard them play. But they didn't pass the Dire Straits test (so we can forget about Led Zep).

It's kind of crazy that an XS2 wouldn't have enough to drive the P3 properly. Maybe you're right though. The speaker sounded so good with the non-rock that I heard that I'd love to hear it again with a different amp. So...Class A if under 100 SS watts, A/B for over 100 SS watts? One day I'm hoping to get a lot of time with either the 30.1 or P3ESR.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

FWIW, my C7s sound glorious and with plenty of drive with my Line Magnetic 508IA amp which is a class-A SET tube amp pushing 48WPC.

Dream On and Glmoneydawg like this.
  22. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

In a small room like mine the P3’s even pass the AC/DC test. Everything is relative. Led Balloon, easy in my room. I think we always need to be careful to look at context. Don’t get me wrong, I have to reset. My Spendor’s are bigger and sound a lot bigger…but they are not as accurate in regards to tonality. Piano and cymbals especially. After almost giving up on the little P3’s I have spent the last week with them exclusively and they are no doubt the best speaker I have ever owned. They do and play everything…given that you place them for success.

23. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Agree with Art K. In a small room with a subwoofer and 150w of AB power the P3 does rock just fine. Turn it up and that first note of Rush’s Tom Sawyer hits like hammer. The key is a small room and lots of watts.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  24. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

That's a good point. The store I heard them in wasn't large, but it wasn't small, and they did have them playing louder than I would in my room.

25. tIANcI

I’ve done it … the difference is not much. You get a little bit more at the tippy top. More trailing reverb, a bit more shimmer. Best part is, it does not change the mids. If you don’t like it, easy to reverse and don’t cost you much.

basie-fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.